Author Topic: frustrating crappie night  (Read 1507 times)

Offline 1timothy1

• Team IceShanty Regular
frustrating crappie night
« on: Jan 09, 2014, 10:42 PM »
went out tonight was marking fish they would come to my bait but not take it   i had glow size ten ladybug with minnows amd wax worms     four pound test      dont know what is wrong   about to get crappie attractant   asking for suggestions

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Re: frustrating crappie night
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2014, 10:44 PM »
try different lure styles find what they want and make sure you match the hatch

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2014, 10:47 PM »
Try some maggots. or colored spikes. i caught some today on 1" gulp smelt and a 1/32 jighead
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2014, 10:54 PM »
I would have tried something smaller than a size 10 if they were looking and not taking.  Sometimes even the biggest of fish will hit small lures down to size 20.  When they will come in and look but not commit, 'something' is not quite right.  Could be shape, size, glow or not, line size, etc....lots of variables, so keep changing things up until you get one to bite, then repeat.

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2014, 10:57 PM »
Down size jig and line diameter. I do not ever use #10 or 4lb test even when its very first ice and the fish are jumping out of the hole.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2014, 11:01 PM »
I had marks all over the place tonight. Lookers, no takers..Managed 1 perc, 2 nice gills..After dark, all lookers..

Offline spring bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2014, 11:49 PM »
Sounds like you are fishing for bass, not crappie... ;D

No, but just go down to 2lb and keep switching baits. Horizontal presentation with a spike is where I would start
Proud member of the Shiners!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/McLovinLife3

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2014, 06:54 AM »
agree with most on downsizing. marks could have been gills. you downsize and sometimes you find out. i like the mention of horizontal presentation too! it has worked many times for me. some people dont realize, they can swim their jig around and side to side, in the hole. it dont seem like much but it is to fish! fish like us that have no flasher have been doing for ever. jig it hi jig it lo jig it fast jig it slow,  the fish'll let ya no. lol
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:15 AM »
Great point River Scum!!!! Change em up til you finf the one!!!
teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline Muddman2k

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2014, 03:59 PM »
This will happen to you many many times in your crappie life. Camera wise I tend to find there is a larger creature lurking in the shadows (bass)  waiting to hit the excited crappie that still has the instinct to run up on your bait. I am in no way saying dowsizing and changing gear is not a great option. It will change daily and nightly colors, glow,sizes and tails.  I myself tap a quick hole feet away and jig a rattle and get the bass to move out of there. This works better when your buddy fishing so he can still stay over the hot crappie hole.  If I could just take daughters old baby bouncer out there , hit  the button and bounce the rattle I would move it 50 yds away. ROTFLMAO. 

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2014, 12:26 AM »
Welcome to crappie fishing.  I've ran the same crappie setup for several years.  A lot of times the crappies cycle through the same area night after night, some nights they set the world on fire and some nights you cant buy a bite.  Hopefully you catch them on a night they are biting and not looking.  I agree that sometimes changing things up helps but sometimes you can change and they still have lockjaw.

Offline IceJunkie0602

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2014, 12:45 AM »
Welcome to crappie fishing.  I've ran the same crappie setup for several years.  A lot of times the crappies cycle through the same area night after night, some nights they set the world on fire and some nights you cant buy a bite.  Hopefully you catch them on a night they are biting and not looking.  I agree that sometimes changing things up helps but sometimes you can change and they still have lockjaw.

I agree.  But I think sometimes it's the location they are seeing food.  Like when I'm on my way to Mc donalds.  I see Arby's, I see Burger King,  I see Taco Bell.   I look but I don't stop I already have a place in mind to eat.

So my suggestion would be to move to where they are going to feed. Easier said than done.  But don't be afraid to move just because you have fish on the flasher.

Offline 1timothy1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:20 PM »
thanks for info  went last night got lot little ones   kept four nice ones

Offline jimguy21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2014, 04:46 PM »
when you down size to such a light line what knot do you tie.  seems the smaller size i can't get my clinch knot to hold

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2014, 05:37 PM »
when you down size to such a light line what knot do you tie.  seems the smaller size i can't get my clinch knot to hold

Clinch knot is not good for light lines.  I use the palomar knot and make sure the line is wet when tightening.  Never have an issue with knots breaking or coming undone on line below 1lb test.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.