The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: What weight rod?  (Read 596 times)

Offline bndhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
What weight rod?
« on: Jan 09, 2014, 01:29 PM »
Kind of new to jigging through the ice. In the past years I have primarly used tip-ups and that was it. However I picked up a new fish finder this year and am looking forward to trying to catch more fish on a jigging pole. I have a couple of ultra lite rods I use for perch but they seem like they woldn't have enough backbone to go after good walleye, pike, ling or even a good size trout. What weight rods (lite, med, med/heavy) do guys that chase these fish use? Any suggestions are always appreciated.

Offline mthuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What weight rod?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2014, 02:18 PM »
I like medium rods if I think there's a chance for bigger but have caught 4-5 walleye on light rods when perchin'.  It never hurts to have 1 or 2 of each though...I have 6 rods and 4 reels that go with me on the ice...1 ultralight, 2 light, 2 mediums and 1 med-heavy.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2014, 03:36 PM »
A buddy gave me a perch assault rod last year.  It's really grown on me.  Hard to beat for the price.  It took a little bit to get used to a little longer rod but now I seem to prefer it.
It just stiff enough and long enough to handle most fish.  Sensitive enough for lighter bites.  Only complaints would be the line comes out of the eyelets by the tip more frequently than I'd like (despite crimping it) and overall I think the eyelets could be a touch bigger to keep from freezing up but for how small they are they do pretty good.  Again, bang for your buck, it's a pretty good all around stick.

It reminds me of the rods we used to build when I was a kid.  We used the top end of a fly rod half and but a cork grip on it and taped reels to them.
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline MTTravis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2014, 10:45 AM »
I use lights and medium lights most of the time I have a few of every weight rod though for fishing different places

Offline onpoint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2014, 11:01 AM »
I really like the St. Croix 28" medium and medium light rods for walleye.

Offline icefishnaddct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2014, 11:07 AM »
Medium to medium heavy, with the occassional med. light. Most important thing is to use the proper power rod and pound line for the jigs you are using. you don't want to use to heavy of a jig on a lighter rod to where the rod is already "loaded" by the weight of the jig before you even have a fish on. same rules apply for line. don't use so heavy of line that a lighter jig can't even pull the slack out when sent down to the bottom. everything should be balanced.

Offline JBL44

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JBL44
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2014, 11:27 AM »
My fav jigging rod is a Shakespeare model, Fuel Ice! Only 28" in length! but super great jigging rod! They sell the combo, matching Fuel Ice reel, for $20 bucks or so! Big eyelets for no freezing up, light but enough backbone for bigger fish. Caught a 6lb laker out of Stillwater with it, no problems, just had to adjust the drag accordingly!
perchnut

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.