Author Topic: Slot Size....  (Read 5828 times)

Offline bernie

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Slot Size....
« Reply #30 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:34 AM »
hey blaine when was the last time you were at bloomfields. i was there this past summer the old guy that use to run it past away and yes when he was in charge it was a dump.  gary that is tho old guys son he has built new cabins in there built a reef to protect the boat  that park at the docks there to save them from the wind. has new docks there.

Offline Blaine Lutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:45 AM »
2 years ago but I've stopped in for a meal and thought my chicken fingers were rotton squid. Plus the place was a mess so I assumed he still ran it. Stayed there 3 years ago and it was nasty nasty
Always willing to try something new.

Offline dogfish1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:22 AM »
I've never seen a 15 lb fish in the filet shack yet at lml. I think those fish are relatively safe sir

You don't see the size of fish that people keep on the ice in the spring by the creek or at hendersons or the size of walleye people like to keep in the spring.  It's funny to hear people complain about the fish being to big....  I guess with people like you there's always something to complain about. 

Offline Blaine Lutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:53 AM »
You don't see the size of fish that people keep on the ice in the spring by the creek or at hendersons or the size of walleye people like to keep in the spring.  It's funny to hear people complain about the fish being to big....  I guess with people like you there's always something to complain about.

OK, to keep it in perspective, I think LML is a great fishery, and that Tobin Lake's needs tweaking.  Not that long ago a guy could take 10 walleye home in two days and I think we've grown.  Going up north and only being able to take home four sounds bad, but really, having a couple feeds and taking 4 home is fine with me.  I personally know I set a good example and abide by all rules so good luck fellas and enjoy fishing.  Its awesome.

Offline bernie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:54 AM »
i argee the restuarant and gas station there are not the greatest i don't think they have change that in forever.  yeah gary even has places for camping in the summer and people are moving in mobile home in the bottom there. yeah i remember it as a kid and it was a dive that place.

Offline dogfish1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 06, 2014, 11:02 AM »
OK, to keep it in perspective, I think LML is a great fishery, and that Tobin Lake's needs tweaking.  Not that long ago a guy could take 10 walleye home in two days and I think we've grown.  Going up north and only being able to take home four sounds bad, but really, having a couple feeds and taking 4 home is fine with me.  I personally know I set a good example and abide by all rules so good luck fellas and enjoy fishing.  Its awesome.

It's definitely a tough subject.  And with the lack of enforcement in many areas it's up to anglers to self-enforce the rules to keep the fisheries in Saskatchewan as healthy as possible.  Good luck out there.  The march frenzy isn't far away.

Offline got-ya

• IceShanty Rookie
  • tic tic slam
« Reply #36 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:28 PM »
   I totally agree on slot sizes (both upper & lower), but am shocked no one mentioned releasing fish that are brought up from 30-40 ft. deep. Go to one of the popular spots on Lml ( Collingwood ) and see where most people are fishing! Fish brought up from these depths are dead fish even when brought up slowly ( which rarely happens )! Fishing at these depths is "Fishing to keep"! Tournament fishermen/women are professionals and revive the fish before releasing but even after a tournament it is shocking to see the floating fish a day later. I've even seen fish "Fizzed" so they can swim away! How long do they live after getting stuck ?

Offline Blaine Lutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:33 PM »
Million Dollar Question???  When the Big Walleye are deep on LML, and you plan to fish for them, you are pretty much stuck KEEPING what you catch then aren't you?  I am afraid I totally agree with you sir.  Seeing a perch with his swimbladder sitting out like a big overbite spells death to him.  So what's the answer then?  Tough one

Offline dogfish1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 07, 2014, 08:37 AM »
http://outdoorcanada.ca/10516/fishing/tips-fishing/does-fizzing-fish-actually-save-them

An article about fizzing from outdoor canada.  Even Gord Pryzer doesn't really answer the question.

Offline mountainguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 07, 2014, 01:25 PM »
Fizzing can't help for long term health.  I am sure some have to die.  Not sure about all of them.  Do people fizz them while just fun fishing?  If you are needing to fish you fish too deep.  Personally i will not fish the big eyes on LML when they are hitting in the deep.  I won't kill them just because i want a big eye.    I have seen 12 plus eyes with their eyes completely blown out of their sockets.  Watched the guys release it from one boat over.  Fish floated up after they released it.  I grabbed it and took it back to them.  They asked how do you know it was ours??  Well there are only two boats here and we saw you just caught one of similar size!!  They were anchored down in 38 feet of water.

They kept fishing deep and killed 90% of them. Terrible.

Offline walleyesensei

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 07, 2014, 02:37 PM »
The slot size on tobin has protected alot of fish and that's why  there are so many big ones...(when i have days I hit the water and don't catch one legal fish being that they are to big that's a great day to me) why does fishing have to be about keeping supper all the time? Recreational fishing is just as fun for most (especially on a lake with "lots of big ones" like tobin) don't have to fill a bucket every time you hit the water... There should be a province wide slot size...one over 55cm im sure saves a few fish but is still fairly poor in my opinion...on a lake like Last mountain (big fish waters) a guy can bonk and 6-10lb eye for  the table...(Not saying it happens all the time but im sure theres alot of fish that size taken for the table every season) why the heck do you want to eat a fish that big anyways...they should be protected province wide....55cm-86cm should be implemented province wide not just tobin..one set of regulations Province wide..be nice to See barbless also..I understand catching supper might be keeping a couple fish not filling a bucket...if your complaining about to big of fish and can't catch one to eat drive down to the grocery store and buy some it will be cheaper and easier for you. Now this is comming from a guy who recreationally fishes all year open water or hard I'm out after the big fish not supper..

So what are you saying you would like to see the whole province go to catch and release?

Offline Blaine Lutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 07, 2014, 03:51 PM »
The slot size on tobin has protected alot of fish and that's why  there are so many big ones...(when i have days I hit the water and don't catch one legal fish being that they are to big that's a great day to me) why does fishing have to be about keeping supper all the time? Recreational fishing is just as fun for most (especially on a lake with "lots of big ones" like tobin) don't have to fill a bucket every time you hit the water... There should be a province wide slot size...one over 55cm im sure saves a few fish but is still fairly poor in my opinion...on a lake like Last mountain (big fish waters) a guy can bonk and 6-10lb eye for  the table...(Not saying it happens all the time but im sure theres alot of fish that size taken for the table every season) why the heck do you want to eat a fish that big anyways...they should be protected province wide....55cm-86cm should be implemented province wide not just tobin..one set of regulations Province wide..be nice to See barbless also..I understand catching supper might be keeping a couple fish not filling a bucket...if your complaining about to big of fish and can't catch one to eat drive down to the grocery store and buy some it will be cheaper and easier for you. Now this is comming from a guy who recreationally fishes all year open water or hard I'm out after the big fish not supper..

Well sir, on LML, I do not see many 6-10 pounders being kept, and if I saw one in the filleting shack, I would be shaming the guy cutting it up.  BIG TIME.  I have seen a ton of pike floating on Tobin Lake because you cant keep them and they died.  The guy who caught them was forced to throw them back even though they had gibbled gills and had no chance of survival.  I am in NO way supportive of cutting up walleye over 2-3 pounds.  If Last mountain had a keep only below 55cm or whatever it is, i would have no problem with that.  In fact, I do not support keeping the one OVER fish at all.  A trophy mount as a replica looks wayyy better than an original fish.  I'm betting this idea would get a lot of support.  Oh, and yes, I'm not into catching a limit to eat every time I fish either but if i'm camping at Rowans Ravine with family and they want fish for supper, we are having walleye for supper if I catch.  I don't feel bad about that at all.

Offline snuff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 07, 2014, 07:08 PM »

Well said Blaine. Personally I never keep a walleye over 21.75 (55 cm). That being said if someone else wants to keep a big fish I do not appoint myself as The Savior of the Lake. I might try and talk them in throwing it back but at end of day they are doing nothing illegal.
 My personal belief is no walleye over 55 cm should be kept. So I support a province wide slot limit for walleye.

Snuff

Snuff

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.