Author Topic: Slot Size....  (Read 5830 times)

Offline fishin_crazy

• IceShanty Rookie
Slot Size....
« on: Jan 08, 2014, 01:12 PM »
What is everyone's take on a slot size change. I mean take a look, there are a lot of 19-21 inch walleye gettin taken out of our great southern lakes and not seeing many smaller fish. I could be wrong but it would be nice  to see. Something like what tobin has in place or even lake of the prairies. Would be nice to see something like this implemented.
A Bad Day Of Fishing Is Still Better Than A Good Day Of Working!!

Offline Blaine Lutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Slot Size....
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2014, 02:58 PM »
What is everyone's take on a slot size change. I mean take a look, there are a lot of 19-21 inch walleye gettin taken out of our great southern lakes and not seeing many smaller fish. I could be wrong but it would be nice  to see. Something like what tobin has in place or even lake of the prairies. Would be nice to see something like this implemented.

Not a bad idea, but one thing about Tobin(Nipawin).  Not easy to find an eater there be it pike or walleye.  Lots of big ones, but eaters aren't easy to find. 
Always willing to try something new.

Offline Walleye2013

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2014, 03:54 PM »
The slot size on tobin has protected alot of fish and that's why  there are so many big ones...(when i have days I hit the water and don't catch one legal fish being that they are to big that's a great day to me) why does fishing have to be about keeping supper all the time? Recreational fishing is just as fun for most (especially on a lake with "lots of big ones" like tobin) don't have to fill a bucket every time you hit the water... There should be a province wide slot size...one over 55cm im sure saves a few fish but is still fairly poor in my opinion...on a lake like Last mountain (big fish waters) a guy can bonk and 6-10lb eye for  the table...(Not saying it happens all the time but im sure theres alot of fish that size taken for the table every season) why the heck do you want to eat a fish that big anyways...they should be protected province wide....55cm-86cm should be implemented province wide not just tobin..one set of regulations Province wide..be nice to See barbless also..I understand catching supper might be keeping a couple fish not filling a bucket...if your complaining about to big of fish and can't catch one to eat drive down to the grocery store and buy some it will be cheaper and easier for you. Now this is comming from a guy who recreationally fishes all year open water or hard I'm out after the big fish not supper..

Offline sidescan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2014, 04:49 PM »
X2,

Offline Mike.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2014, 05:35 PM »
Im all for it, would like to see one on last mountain atleast

Offline Blue Hog Ridr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2014, 06:13 PM »
why does fishing have to be about keeping supper all the time?

Because its like going to the service station and giving the cashier 100 bucks for fuel and driving off without putting the gas in your truck.

I fish for fun and part of that fun is eating what I catch.  I know that sounds bad. I am a Tree Hugger in many ways myself.

Its like, fish, bite my lure, frying pan, eat. In that order.

I'm just teasing you of course as I understand 100% what you said.

I buy a license, take my limits and eat.  I will leave the technical aspect of fishing to those that like to do it or are paid to do it.

If I spend a thousand to drive to Tobin, rent a cabin, fuel for my boat etc, darn right I am not tossing too many fish back in.

There is still a big Sturgeon in Tobin that owes me a pickerel rig and an entire reel of line.
Fishing is good for your Mind, Body and Soul.
Actually catching a fish or two is a nice by product of a day well spent.

The next time that you don't feel like going into work, don't give your Boss any excuses (Hes heard them all), just say, "I'm going fishing, wanna come".

Offline wally wacker49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2014, 06:24 PM »
my two bits worth, after fishing blackstrap for years, deifenbaker, bradwell, and other prairie lakes I have noticed a lot of 12 to 15 inches walleyes, especially at Lenore this winter. These should be the under slot size. set the slot limit from 16 inches to 20 inches , these are the best eaters pound for pound. yes I too love to catch big fish but I love a good feed of walleye or perch. I have seen many limits of those little fish come out of the strap and Lenore this winter. At Madge they have a minimum of 16 inches and yes we catch a lot of fish many under the 16 mark but always get some keepers.

Offline fishin_crazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2014, 10:29 AM »
I agree and thanks for all the ideas, it's great to hear that some of us have the same ideas. I also fish for the pan but only keeping what I need to eat. I think an under slot would be great aswell. You see a lot of guys go out catch a 10" walleye and through it in the pail.. Anywho, I would like to see the slot sizes and limits changed in this province. Turn a great fisherie into an even better one.
 Keep those lines tight ladies and gentlemen.
A Bad Day Of Fishing Is Still Better Than A Good Day Of Working!!

Offline mountainguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2014, 10:46 AM »
I am all for a slot size. Tobin and the river are a prime example although the last few years it has not been as good in the fall.  Lots of tiny ones like what you catch during the summer some weeks.

I think barbless is just as important.   How can we not be barbless??  That seems like a no brainer. 

Offline coldazice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2014, 10:48 AM »
slot sizes are important to protect the breeding fish, i use to fish tobin lake 50+ days a year and can recall a time pre mass overfishing that you could go out from 7pm until 8pm with a boat of 4 people and never catch fewer than 60 fish in that hour and it wasn't unusual to get 80+, most commonly around the 18-20" mark and typically a half dozen between 24.5 and 29". Since the slot limit was implemented i did notice that there were fewer of the shorter ones forsure.

Note this however, Tobin lake in a study has fish that grow on average 2.5 times the rate of most lakes ( one summmer i caught just 8 pike as i primarily fished walleye, smallest was 8lbs) based on study as there is no shortage of food for any of the species. of course this means that the lake if far more prone to boucing back than most lakes, lakes like LML and Diefenbaker should be fine, i can't speak to the small chain lakes.

Implementing a slot in some of the smaller lakes of 23-31" would help greatly for walleye.
TEAM Saskatchewan: Yes, we have ice in December!.

Offline sk_oiler_fan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2014, 12:56 PM »
I'd have no problem with both an upper and a lower slot size. When I take my kids fishing, we have a little rule on the boat. If the walleye isn't at least 15 inches long, it goes back in the lake. I know my little guy gets flustered when we put back his fish, but it will be there another day for him to catch. Also, when it come to the bigger breeders, I like to think that if it's not going on my wall, it's going back in the lake. Currently my wall has no fish on it, as I have released any thing that was too big for eating. Maybe someday I will keep a wall hanger, but probably not.

Offline Dubya

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2014, 01:19 PM »
I'd prefer to see some slot limits put in place in Saskatchewan, as well as mandatory barbless.  Some of the "limits" I've seen people take home make me cringe, either walleye that were ridiculously small or 8-9 lb egg laden females. 

Offline dogfish1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2014, 01:43 PM »
I'd have no problem with both an upper and a lower slot size. When I take my kids fishing, we have a little rule on the boat. If the walleye isn't at least 15 inches long, it goes back in the lake. I know my little guy gets flustered when we put back his fish, but it will be there another day for him to catch. Also, when it come to the bigger breeders, I like to think that if it's not going on my wall, it's going back in the lake. Currently my wall has no fish on it, as I have released any thing that was too big for eating. Maybe someday I will keep a wall hanger, but probably not.

I agree with everyone else on this thread.  Implement some slot sizes, let our fisheries flourish, bring in more tourism, spend the money from the tourism on proper enforcement of the regulations which in turn will help our fisheries flourish even more. 

With how good some of the replicate mounts are becoming why not get one of these made next time you catch a hog sk_oiler_fan.  Mount it up on the wall with the photo's you took of it and that'll look great! At least then you can have the memories of that awesome fish to replace the ones of your favorite hockey team..... jk!

Offline sk_oiler_fan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2014, 02:47 PM »
Lol Dogfish. I will have to do that for sure. This current Oiler team is leaving any lasting memories.

Offline BOONER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2014, 03:54 PM »
I believe its a must. Especially on LML, it gets more and more pressure.  Slot limits have saved great fisheries like lake of the prairies and Tobin.

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep your worm wigglin!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2014, 03:59 PM »
When I brought this subject to one of the biologists here in Saskatchewan, I was told directly that the fish populations were strong enough and none were needed. I disagreed with her then and I disagree with her now. I, like everyone else, have seen wayyyyyyy to many undersized or sadly fully mature egg layers go into someone's bucket. The rational I get is..."nothing in the rules says I can't keep her so f**k off". Mind you...a couple of people have gone swimming for saying that to me too. I would love to see a lobby group started to pressure our elected "representatives" into acting on this.

Offline HoggON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Eat it or beat it!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2014, 11:20 PM »
If I spend a thousand to drive to Tobin, rent a cabin, fuel for my boat etc, darn right I am not tossing too many fish back in.

Seriously???     Why not travel somewhere like Deshambault or a thousand other places where you will have no problem catching as many beautiful eaters as you want. 
We need to manage our trophy fishery's like trophy fishery's.  If it was up to me I'd include Last Mountain, Lake Deifenbaker, and Coddette Lake all under the same regulations that Tobin has.  I'd even lower the limits from where they are at now.
Keep a bunch of lakes for the freezer filling dills, but why not protect the lakes that bring millions into our economy every year by means of attracting SERIOUS anglers who are simply after a picture or two of a monster in their hands.
Take care of the fishery and the fishery will take care of you.

Offline LOTALOTA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:58 AM »
arctic grayling 2 only one may exceed 35 cm
bigmouth buffalo 0
burbot 8
channel catfish 2
goldeye 8
lake trout 3 only one may exceed 65 cm
largemouth bass 2
northern pike 5 only one may exceed 75 cm
perch 25
rock bass 6
*stocked trout 5 all species combined
smallmouth bass 0
sturgeon 0
walleye/sauger 4 only one may exceed 55 cm
whitefish 8

This is the currant regulations for Saskatchewan.  A 55 cm walleye is 21.6 inches or about 3 pounds.  That is one per angler so the responsibility is on the fisher man to respect that, and not keep their limit of 5lb walleyes.
So if you ask me we as anglers need to respect our fishery the regulations are in place so lets follow them.

Offline jgmerz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2014, 10:06 AM »
I agree HoggOn, keep a handful of our larger lakes very well managed for trophy hunters and stock the hell out of the high pressure "cottage country" lakes, so people can eat all the 10" walleye they want.  I don't get out much more than 5-10 times a year, in which case I do love a fish fry, but never take more than whats eaten fresh.  I would be all for slot size limits.  Nothing over, nothing under.

Offline mountainguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2014, 11:43 AM »
25 perch, that is crazy!!   Why do you need so many.  It should be 10.  You want to get your young anglers into the sport.  How about reduce the perch limit, build the population and have a great numbers day with the kids. 

Offline Blue Hog Ridr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2014, 11:56 AM »
Hogg, I re read the quote and my chosen words weren't well thought.

I agree. I didn't mean it quite like that. I am always conscience of the fish that I catch. 

I keep a tape measure in the boat and am aware of the Slot size while on Tobin.

Even when ice fishing, I let the small ones go, even the Pike.  I have no desire to keep any but a few good eaters that will come home with me. 

Fishing is good for your Mind, Body and Soul.
Actually catching a fish or two is a nice by product of a day well spent.

The next time that you don't feel like going into work, don't give your Boss any excuses (Hes heard them all), just say, "I'm going fishing, wanna come".

Offline deringer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2014, 05:28 PM »
I disagree with some things. some imits shoud be set depending on the lake. down home perch limit is 25 and they need it. you could catch 25 nice perch in an hour easily. conservation put pike in the lake now to eat some perch as they were getting diseased from too many. now yes the limit should be 10 as its harder to catch them.

I agree with slot limits over and under. the problem in that lies with it only keeps honest people honest. it drives me up the wall to see imigrants well over their limit of every sardine they caught. mostly see this on blackstrap. I definitely think the whole province should be barbless. I wish there was lakes close to me that I could go and catch 7-10 lb walleye. now that being said there has been some monsters taken out of blackstrap but I fish it pretty hard and I haven't came across one even close yet.

Offline CanAmCory

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2014, 06:55 AM »
In all honesty I can't keep small fish. The work it takes to get the little bit of meat off of them is not worth it to me. I've had good luck this winter hitting walleye. Prolly caught over 40-50 in a 3 day span. The biggest I caught was 4lbs (personal best as well) lol and the rest were maybe 3/4-1lb little guys. I let them all go. A good day catching for me is better then anything even if they are small.

Offline saskriverman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2014, 10:44 AM »
I see this way too often I know of a lot of americans that have bought houses in town while they are in town they will pound out tobin filleting any and everything they hook. the fish filleting table they have in their garage rivals the one at the marina.  not saying all americans  are doing this as I have seen lots of local (sk registered) boats also un aware of the slot limit as im rambling on this is about the slot limit for tobin it is a great thing and the fishing is fantastic for those that want to fish trophys fish tobin you want an eater go 5 min to codetta that simple no need to cry about slot limit on tobin. p.s. we go north to get eaters something about eating fish that have live in the water that how many citys commercial plant and what not gets dumped into the water getter in ya lol well that's my rant not sure if this makes sense still working on first cup of coffee

Seriously???     Why not travel somewhere like Deshambault or a thousand other places where you will have no problem catching as many beautiful eaters as you want. 
We need to manage our trophy fishery's like trophy fishery's.  If it was up to me I'd include Last Mountain, Lake Deifenbaker, and Coddette Lake all under the same regulations that Tobin has.  I'd even lower the limits from where they are at now.
Keep a bunch of lakes for the freezer filling dills, but why not protect the lakes that bring millions into our economy every year by means of attracting SERIOUS anglers who are simply after a picture or two of a monster in their hands.

Offline mountainguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2014, 10:56 AM »
You are right in regards to Tobin and American plates but i think it was more of an issue a while back.  I dont think its as bad as it once once.   Over the years i saw so many 10 pluses in that slab shack at Nipawin.  I had a few altercations as well! haha.    I dont think we can just say its Americans though.  I have seen a lot of sask. plates taking a lot of fish too.  Illegal fish as well.  They don't slab them at the station though, straight home.

Same in the winter, catching pike inside the protected limit and taking.  Burying them in snow under trucks so they wont get caught.  Luckily the CO'S catch a few these guys on Tobin in the winter.    Bino's from a distance works!

So on top of new reg.s needed for lakes , we need enforcement for the people that love to cheat the rules.  Look at the guys that caught in cheating in the Vanity, a lot of people just don't have morals.  Hard to police them.

Offline bernie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2014, 05:16 PM »
         A slot size is fine but it has to be enforced.  a slot size is also just for the honest person who does follow the rules,  whether there is a slot size or not your always going to have people that don't obey the laws. I have some friends that have a cabin at a private lake in MB and the slot size there is 16"-22"anything over or under that goes back.

I fish for what ever will bite that day we are out but we use common sense when go fishing. a 10" walleye is more work then what they are worth for the little bit of meat you get, even little 1 lb. pike go back.

I have read all the posts from when this thread started and the talk is about pressure on last mountain lake. I have fished that lake for many years I have noticed the last few years the fishing has slowed down a lot, but I don't know if there is as much pressure there as there is on deschambault we were up there twice this summer we stayed at Bloomfield resort and the guy that runs it said that there was a guide come in with two groups of people and took around 3000 fish out of there. at the end of June beginning of July the native were still netting when they weren't suppose to be anymore and Gary the guy that run Bloomfield's contacted the CO and they didn't do anything.  if you have been on the ice on deschambault in the winter its like a city from mouth of the pasquaqua river to willow island  and every where in between

Offline Blaine Lutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:06 PM »
The slot rules are fine.  I'm not totally convinced on the Tobin Lake slot sizes.  All you catch there are big fish and can hardly find a one to two pounder to eat.  At Last Mountain Lake, you have a lot of everything.  And furthermore, there is a ton of tweener Walleye which shows that the lake is healthy.  In my opinion, the only slot change that should be made, is change the rule of keeping ONE FISH over the top slot limit measurement.  Measure the darn thing and get a replica of your fish if you need a mount.  They look better than a real fish anyways.

What I see on Tobin is a LOT of fish just over the lower slot, and many many in the slot as well.  Most of the "unders" are barely eaters.  There are a FEW spots in the lake where you can get more "eaters" but most hit the fileting shack with little one pounders.  At Last Mountain Lake, there is a large population it seems of three pound Walleye and in the last five years, I haven't noticed a change in what i've caught yet.  If the numbers are going down, then I'm very willing to listen.  What we DO have to change is the number of people who hit the filet shack time after time with their limit of fish and a freezer full at home as well.  Catch and release is great.  To be honest, I'm spoiled as I grew up eating Canadian shield Walleye and the ones at Last Mountain after the middle of June just don't do it for me.  Muddy tasting. 

Offline dogfish1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:15 AM »
The slot rules are fine.  I'm not totally convinced on the Tobin Lake slot sizes.  All you catch there are big fish and can hardly find a one to two pounder to eat.  At Last Mountain Lake, you have a lot of everything.  And furthermore, there is a ton of tweener Walleye which shows that the lake is healthy.  In my opinion, the only slot change that should be made, is change the rule of keeping ONE FISH over the top slot limit measurement.  Measure the darn thing and get a replica of your fish if you need a mount.  They look better than a real fish anyways.

What I see on Tobin is a LOT of fish just over the lower slot, and many many in the slot as well.  Most of the "unders" are barely eaters.  There are a FEW spots in the lake where you can get more "eaters" but most hit the fileting shack with little one pounders.  At Last Mountain Lake, there is a large population it seems of three pound Walleye and in the last five years, I haven't noticed a change in what i've caught yet.  If the numbers are going down, then I'm very willing to listen.  What we DO have to change is the number of people who hit the filet shack time after time with their limit of fish and a freezer full at home as well.  Catch and release is great.  To be honest, I'm spoiled as I grew up eating Canadian shield Walleye and the ones at Last Mountain after the middle of June just don't do it for me.  Muddy tasting.

If you want to push more catch and release fishing then wouldn't you support the slot size? I would way rather catch and release 15+ lb pike then small snot rockets.   People don't flock to tobin to catch eaters... they go there for the chance of a bruiser.

Offline Blaine Lutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:21 AM »
I've never seen a 15 lb fish in the filet shack yet at lml. I think those fish are relatively safe sir

Offline Blaine Lutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:27 AM »
         A slot size is fine but it has to be enforced.  a slot size is also just for the honest person who does follow the rules,  whether there is a slot size or not your always going to have people that don't obey the laws. I have some friends that have a cabin at a private lake in MB and the slot size there is 16"-22"anything over or under that goes back.

I fish for what ever will bite that day we are out but we use common sense when go fishing. a 10" walleye is more work then what they are worth for the little bit of meat you get, even little 1 lb. pike go back.

I have read all the posts from when this thread started and the talk is about pressure on last mountain lake. I have fished that lake for many years I have noticed the last few years the fishing has slowed down a lot, but I don't know if there is as much pressure there as there is on deschambault we were up there twice this summer we stayed at Bloomfield resort and the guy that runs it said that there was a guide come in with two groups of people and took around 3000 fish out of there. at the end of June beginning of July the native were still netting when they weren't suppose to be anymore and Gary the guy that run Bloomfield's contacted the CO and they didn't do anything.  if you have been on the ice on deschambault in the winter its like a city from mouth of the pasquaqua river to willow island  and every where in between
If you see how Bloomfields is run then you will know that he has not much cred.  Regular fishermen have little impact on that lake whereas the nets are the issue. Don't tell me that two groups of people took out 3000 fish. That's a "story" and a half. Trust me if the COs were concerned they would be there checking everybody. Desch lake is safe. Hasn't changed in 25 years other than size of fish. Numbers are pretty consistent I think

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.