Author Topic: Need advise on a "family friendly" portable ice shack  (Read 1528 times)

Offline montanafos

• IceShanty Rookie
Need some advise.  Ice fishing will now include my 3 small kids and wife and it's time for a "family friendly shack" that will allow me to do a 4 day trip (staying on the ice) with my ice fhisng buddies a couple times a year.  It will be used primarily for comfort with my family, so kids and wife can get out of the elements.

Owned a Northlander 8x8 wood floor / tent style canvas ice shack for a couple years.  Allowed for two cots, two open holes w/ rattle reels at night, propane vented heater and corner cook area.  Problem was...pain in the butt to move around as the whole thing had to be completely torn down to move and had to be lifted on to a sled to pull behind a 4 wheeler or snowmachine.  Everything folded in to the center and you folded the two 4x8 sheets on a hinge for a "briefcase". 

Here's my question.  Based on your experience, is there a portable, attached to a sled, shack that will allow me to accomplish the same thing.  Looked at the Otter Magnum on their website.  I'm assuming I'll need to put a floor of some type down in the open ice areas so things don't freeze down.  I want to be able to spend the night in the thing with at least one more adult...on cots.  I've now got 3 kids and would like to have rooms for my family to keep warm for day trips.  Typically don't fish out of the shack.  Use tipups and only rattle reels while sleeping.

I'm open to ANY ice shack suggestions.  Looking for personal experience with the folding, sled mounted or plastic floor, hinged styles.

Greatly appreciate you feedback.
A bad day on the water beats the heck out of a good day at work...

Offline {RPF}Rapala Pike Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "If you can't catch fish, your not using a Rapala"
Re: Need advise on a "family friendly" portable ice shack
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2005, 03:30 PM »
That new clam sleeper looks great for a family fishing shanty

Offline montanafos

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2005, 04:03 PM »
You know, I searched and found the clam sleeper about a minute after posting my topic on here...sorry to have taken the space.  Looks PERFECT for what I'm after.  Thanks for the response. 
A bad day on the water beats the heck out of a good day at work...

Offline {RPF}Rapala Pike Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "If you can't catch fish, your not using a Rapala"
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2005, 07:16 PM »
Dont worry, you didnt waste any space, you were just asking a question. ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.