Author Topic: sampo swivels  (Read 2065 times)

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: sampo swivels
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2014, 05:48 PM »
Ball bearing, go with Spro for less money but stay with ball bearing for sure
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2014, 05:50 PM »
can you send me the link? the ones I saw from spro looked like a barrell type. Thanks Frank,
Salmonemia

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2014, 05:52 PM »
http://www.spro.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SPSB%2DALL

I see these but they dont look like ball bearings......
Salmonemia

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2014, 05:52 PM »
I've done fine with barrel styles, from both Sampo and Spro.  Spro power swivels are some of the best, and they are barrel style.  Barrel swivels tend to be smaller and less bulky.
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2014, 05:58 PM »
I'm on my phone do hopefully this works, they are ridiculously priced I won't deny that. I can vouch for Spros plain old Power swivel as well, it's never failed me.

http://www.spro.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=30

Offline nixstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2014, 06:00 PM »
Just curious, does anyone know of anywhere semi-local I can buy these and avoid shipping costs?

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2014, 06:00 PM »
If I were you I would just go with the power swivel, strong as heck and tiny, I've never had a twist issue my ball bearing versions were given to me lol

I guess what I'm getting at is when my last BB one is gone I'll continue to use the power swivel which yes is a barrel style but much nicer than the rest IMO.

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2014, 06:48 PM »
I love the Spro power swivels and they do the trick eliminating line twist at a lower price and smaller size. Ive always been a little skeptical about how much better a "ball bearing" swivel can be with bearings the size of grains of salt...   :-\

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2014, 07:33 PM »
I use the sampo bb swivels. Never tried the spro ones. I tried the Berkeley bb swivels and they were garbage!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2014, 07:38 PM »
I've done fine with barrel styles, from both Sampo and Spro.  Spro power swivels are some of the best, and they are barrel style.  Barrel swivels tend to be smaller and less bulky.

X2

Honestly, I don't see why  a BB swivel is necessary in applications that just don't impart much twist to the presentation. I use Spro Power Swivels alot, even in casting spinner presentations during open water. They are smooth and strong for their size. Steer clear of department store or generic brands and you should be OK.

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2014, 08:22 AM »
If you order direct from spro its free shipping....
Salmonemia

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2014, 09:29 AM »
Doc,

What size (#) do you use? Have heard of people using larger size swivels on tip-ups to get the bait down and not using split shots.
Need to pick up a bunch and re-tie all my leaders/tip-ups (throwing out the EC ones I have on there) and trying to decide which way to go.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2014, 12:57 PM »
They are the absolute smallest, I think they are still 25#... things are tiny, but I still use split shot. I use the them on my trolling rod setups too as they go through the guides and even a level wind reel guide without issue. Kittery Trading Post has em in bulk, 50 to a pack I think? Will last me a lifetime probably. Not cheap, I think the 50 pack is like $25.

I use to use larger Sampo ball bearing swivels, the ones that are silver with welded rings, but my line got fouled up on it sometimes so I swapped them out for these tiny things. I see people handlining a fish and they are all careful with how they lay the line out, but even after years of ice fishing I am still like a schoolgirl everytime I get a flag and throw the line all over the ice in erratic fashion!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2014, 01:16 PM »
Thanks for the info... I appreciate the sharing of experience.

Need to get new swivels and a replacement PK Lure - time to go shopping!

Offline fishsluggos

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2014, 04:59 PM »
Just curious, does anyone know of anywhere semi-local I can buy these and avoid shipping costs?

Joe @ Granite State Rod & Reel in Nashua carries them.

Go with the Spro's.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2014, 06:15 PM »
Google SRMO. Shark River Mail Order 50 pk of Power Swivels for $8.49 (Shipping n/incl). The smallest they have are the size #8s, still very tiny @ 50# test. I use 'em on all my walleye and pannie rigs.

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2014, 08:00 PM »
From a older but interesting thread on the subject;

stripernut: [Edit]
I have posted this before; If you are going to use a swivel then the best one to use is a Sampo Ball Bearing Swivel (black). Almost all swivels do not turn under torque, Sampo is one of the very few that do (Spro Ballbearing, also). Yes they cost more, but none of the others work at all, so the money spent on them is a complete waste.
It always makes me laugh when I look at a wall of swivels in a tackle shop and almost all of them are only good as a sliding weight stopper. Don't take my word for it, hang some (small) weights on a line with a swivel tied in the middle and give the weight a spin. In almost every case you will find that the whole line spins and the swivel never breaks free and lets the lower section spin by its self. With a Sampo the lower section will spin. Barrel swivel should not even be called swivels in my book. They just don’t have the low friction needed to keep the line from spinning. Keep in mind just how easy it is to spin a line and how a swivel needs to be very near to friction free to actual to work. That is why most don’t.
AtlBraves12:

--- End quote ---
I agree with you to a point. I want to say a few things and correct me if I am way off base. Testing the "ease of turn under torque" out of the water would be different that testing something under water wouldn't it? The effects of gravity under water aren't a great are they? It isn't like when we are jigging under water there is always maximum tension on our line. Another thing to consider would be line stiffness. A stiffer line such as 10# trilene xt wouldn't twist as bad as 8# trilene xl (that's why people who tie spinners for summer fishing use 12-14# xt= minimal line twist). So if one was using a 1/4 oz jig or lighter, and in the jigging motion there is more torque on the swivel at certain times compared to others. So as you pull your jig up in the jigging motion there is more tension on the swivel but as it falls there would be less tension on the swivel and if one was using a stiffer line for a leader (8# abraz x ice), I would say much of the line twist would be removed with a standard grade ball bearing swivel. I do agree that the premium grade sampo ball bearing swivel would be the greatest at reducing line twist, but as you go down the line I think a standard grade ball bearing swivel would help reduce line twist more than a crane swivel and crane swivel slightly more than a barrel swivel (I have found crane and barrel swivels to help minimally in reducing line twist). Just thught I would throw a few things out there... what does everyone else think?
stripernut: [Edit]
Sometime I hope to test some swivels under water to see if there is a difference. All the points you make, may be true to some degree, but what you are saying boils down to using a swivel that might work some of the time, compared to a swivel that works most of the time. The only point I see of using a "Part Time" swivel is to save money, it is a false economy. I have Sampo swivels that I have used for years (fresh water) and still work great and something is wrong with your set up if you are loosing many swivels. The extra cost of  "Full Time" swivels is very small when you consider that 1. They work 2. They last a long time 3. Are made in the USA. 4. Your line will most likely last longer if you use them (saving you more money) 5. And the most important of all (to me) is that when I hook the fish of a life time, its one more part in the length of "chain" that I don't have to give any thought. I find it to be a small price and worth every penny.
I have been a fishing guide and outdoor writer for 20 years and one thing that I have learned is always try to be ready to land a big fish, because you never know when you are going to hook the fish of a life time!
Tight Lines,
Allan Butler

I too sometimes use the very small and strong Spro Swivels, but I have not found them very helpful for line twist, but great for joining a light braid to a light floro...

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2014, 07:26 AM »
I too sometimes use the very small and strong Spro Swivels, but I have not found them very helpful for line twist, but great for joining a light braid to a light floro...

Exactly. I use it more for a joining tool than to prevent line twist.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2014, 07:55 PM »
Not sure where you're getting line twist from a #10 Spro power swivel??  ???
I have them on at least (25) freshwater trolling rods, a dozen or more tip ups & 5 or so jig rods. Never experience line twist! When trolling in a "shallow water coming" situation, we may get up to 3.5 SOG or more. Never line twists.
Would love to know how you get line twists on tip ups with these swivels?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.