Author Topic: What style / size hook do you use on tip ups?  (Read 5373 times)

Offline nixstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
What style / size hook do you use on tip ups?
« on: Jan 07, 2014, 11:42 AM »
I'm just curious what style and size hook people are using on their tip ups and if they've found one style to be better than another.

Here in NH, we cannot use baited treble hooks, so I mostly use #4 or #6 Gamakatsu octopus style hooks (mostly fishing for trout). I haven't had any problems with them, just wondering if there might be a better style to use than the octopus. Gamakatsu also has a "live bait" style hook without a turn up eyelet, but I haven't seen them in the sizes I need. I've also seen the "finesse wide gap," which looks like it might work.

I'm also considering trying out circle hooks for tip ups to reduce the chance of gut hooking fish I might release, but I've heard some people say they don't work as well in smaller sizes (like #6s, for example) -- though from searching, there seem to be plenty of people on here who use them with success.

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: What style / size hook do you use on tip ups?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2014, 01:04 PM »
  Howdy...  I use the Finesse wide gaps soft and hard water with no problems! 4's & 6's red for trout and salmon!  Haven't found a sharper hook than Gamma's!  Good luck & stay safe!  O.P.   :tipup:
"Where there's watah....There's Feesh!"

Offline 12aapoda

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2014, 06:12 PM »
I use #8 size Gammas octopus style hooks for mostly trout, I like running a little smaller hook to help hide it

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2014, 06:48 PM »
Of course, hailing from God's Country (Wisconsin), I'm using trebles for all my presentations.... That said there are portions of my philosophies that may apply to your situation.

I fish mostly for pike through the ice and tend to use much smaller than generally accepted hook size than usual. My live bait, up to 6" or so sports a single #10 treble. My hooks are high quality, at least 2x but more usually 3-4x strong. I've successfully landed fish in the mid-40" class with these hooks. I believe that smaller hooks are worn better by bait, allowing them to move more naturally with less effort. The qualities of strength and sharpness in that same hook allows reliable hookups and a high percentage of landed fish.

The take away here is this:

1.) Fish high quality hooks. Don't skimp here, it is your primary link to your target.

2.) Buy them sharp and keep them sharper.

3.) Extra strength is your friend, especially if using smaller hooks.

4.) Be aware of how your bait wears the presentation. Go as small as you can while still facilitating reliable hookups.

As usual, just my opinions based on my experiences........... user mileage may vary.

/m

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2014, 07:46 PM »
I use 6 or 8 Eagle Claws trebles.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2014, 09:44 AM »
How do you rig the bait with trebles?
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline dhoeh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2014, 01:08 PM »
for my perch rig I use #8,s. I tie them on at 8 inch intervals and leave a tail about 8 inches at the end. Then I put a sinker at the end of the tail. Works great for me!

Offline nixstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2014, 01:40 PM »
for my perch rig I use #8,s. I tie them on at 8 inch intervals and leave a tail about 8 inches at the end. Then I put a sinker at the end of the tail. Works great for me!

I'm trying to picture this... Is it like a drop shot setup for a tip up? Sounds interesting. Would be easy to put the bait in the same place every time... but seems like fish would feel the weight and possibly spit the bait.

Offline CLbrad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2014, 08:27 PM »
Where is the like button for esox. Funny guy.

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2014, 09:30 PM »
Quick-rig using Gamakatsu #8 treble hooks.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2014, 05:36 AM »
How do you rig the bait with trebles?

Stick one point into the bait, the remaining two points are exposed. Don't have to "hide" a hook to catch fish..........

/m

Offline Chas0218

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2014, 12:55 PM »
Eagle claw trebles...Just put 1 hook thru the bait and let her swim...It gives a great presentation and weighs the bait down a bit.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2014, 05:02 PM »
Where is the like button for esox. Funny guy.

Do you mean this one:

Or this this one:

;D

Flatlander though you be you're always welcome North of the Border. I know a good "Bears" bar near St. Germain.......... ;)

/m

Offline Super-ice-bird

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That's a fifth next to that brown!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:21 PM »
I like to use those gumdrop jigs, adds some color and gives them something to chew on.
Come on fish!

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:40 PM »
Gama octopus circle hooks

Offline JeBa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2014, 12:52 PM »
I like the red Gamakatsu octopus hooks size 1 for most things.
I have also used 1/0 and 2/0 depending on bait size & what I'm fishing for.
They don't have the bent over barb like the circle hooks do.

Jeff

Offline Cphill72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2014, 09:57 PM »
Does anyone find you still gut hook fish when using circle hooks on tip ups?

Offline JeBa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2014, 12:45 PM »
Sometimes the fish inhales the bait (ever see a video of a largemouth going after a spinnerbait?).
This may cause the hook to be lodged way back in their throat.

Or if you are using small hooks & have a tendency to wait too long before setting the hook - the fish may have already turned the minnow its mouth in its attempt to swallow the bait & causing the hook to be lodged in their throat.

Somtimes it's tough to learn/feel when to set the hook.

Jeff

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2014, 06:43 PM »
I gave up on regular single hooks for pike. When using single hooks, its almost always a circle. I'm really liking 5/0. I tried 3/0 and would gut hook about 1 in 50 fish. I have not gut hooked with the bigger circles yet. The reason I gave up on regular hooks, is there was a very fine line between a deep hooked fish and a missed fish. I use bigger baits, preferably over 8", so setting the hook immediately resulted in about a quarter of the fish being missed or more. Some people consider 75% good enough for a tip up, but I absolutely hate it. I found under good conditions I get a solid hookset with a circle 9 times out of 10. Like all things it depends on the day. Sometimes they act weird. In that case I rig up with all quick strikes with #4 trebles (#2 for bait over a foot long) and slam them right away. The problem with a circle I let them have it a long time. Its usually about 5 minutes, and when the stop, I pull against them a little. When they feel me they turn away, and that's when I tighten up to set the hook with a circle. The problem is a lot can go wrong in 5 minutes. The worst is if a fish snags a tree or something. If your fishing heavy weeds with big bait, don't bother with a single hook. Its rare that fish are spooked off by the quick strike, and usually the ones with two spinners get hit first. There are only two draw backs to a quick strike. One they can be a little too much metal for a walleye and negative pike some days, but I have caught walleye on them. The second is if you don't see the flag or something, you can end up with a fish with two trebles in its stomach. A pike usually takes a few minutes to swallow, but it can be faster. Bass seem to commit suicide. They seem to take about 30 seconds to swallow a bait, same as in open water.
-Tom

Offline conesuscrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2014, 08:00 PM »
For perch and walleye, a single Mustad #10 through the back dorsal fin of a fathead, buckeye or shiner.  Works well for us!

Offline MDeppe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2014, 11:17 PM »
I use Kahle hooks a cross between a circle and a regular hook.  I have used them for years and seem to have good luck with them.

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2014, 12:52 PM »
 I use, and like the gamma 3/0 circle 90% of the time they are lip hooked.  I last the pike that should have went on my wall sat , had a head like a croc. and I had about a ft out, when my floro leader snapped, and he /she literally slipped through my other hand. I am no longer subscribing to the line finicky thing of pike

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2014, 02:57 PM »
I agree, there are people that claim 20# fluoro is enough. I simply don't believe them. I've been bitten off on 50# a few times now. Its fine with lures in open water, because it rarely touches teeth. With bait, I'm changing to 80# fluoro carbon next season. Now that I think of it, I don't catch any more on fluoro than on 20# steel.
I have used kahle hooks, and used correctly they work good. They can gut hook, but rarely catch in the gills. I like to make sure its plenty big, and often go with a 6/0 or 7/0 kahle. For circles I'm liking 4/0-6/0 (it varies a lot by brand).
-Tom

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2014, 11:21 AM »
I agree, there are people that claim 20# fluoro is enough. I simply don't believe them. I've been bitten off on 50# a few times now. Its fine with lures in open water, because it rarely touches teeth. With bait, I'm changing to 80# fluoro carbon next season. Now that I think of it, I don't catch any more on fluoro than on 20# steel.
I have used kahle hooks, and used correctly they work good. They can gut hook, but rarely catch in the gills. I like to make sure its plenty big, and often go with a 6/0 or 7/0 kahle. For circles I'm liking 4/0-6/0 (it varies a lot by brand).

Check into eagle claw ultra thin steel leaders. Heaviest is 27 lb. idk what size like ou get but they are nice and thin n hold up pretty well.

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline Capt Phil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 10, 2014, 07:00 PM »
Gamakatsu #8 trebles for pike. Sometimes #6 for larger bait. #8 or #10 for eyes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.