The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Spearing "follow through"  (Read 1219 times)

Offline DAPOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
Spearing "follow through"
« on: Jan 05, 2014, 09:39 PM »
Sorry to pester you guys again. I was wondering, after seeing the spear cam videos. It appears to me that on the spear cam, the pike and spear are driven into the soft bottom. I suppose this makes perfect sense, but have any of you had to spear in a lake with a harder bottom of rocks or even gravel? If so, or even if not, what precautions would you recommend. I'm thinking of doing some "pre spear" testing to find out how deep bottom is, and then set the line so the spear never hits the bottom. Is a bottom contact really necessary to "make sure" the spear has made full penetration, or, is it just a nice backup? Thanks guys, I just don't want to screw up one of Grants spears.....that I'll be purchasing this summer after the season. I figure he's got plenty of other stuff to keep him busy right now!!!!!

ed

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
Re: Spearing "follow through"
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2014, 10:13 PM »
I almost always catch my rope before my spear hits bottom.  Just make sure the spear makes contact first!
  BE THERE!

Offline crittrgittr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2014, 04:31 PM »
   Checking bottom and setting your rope length may work for a straight down shot, but if you have to take a shot at an angle, or towards and outside edge, you may come up short on rope length, thus resulting in a marginally hit fish, or even a miss.
   Bringing a file and/or a stone out with you to touch up your spear points, if they become damaged, after a bottom contact with rocks or gravel might be a good idea.
   Best option is to NOT spear in rock or gravel areas.  ;)
   Good Luck with whatever you decide!

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:00 PM »
   Checking bottom and setting your rope length may work for a straight down shot, but if you have to take a shot at an angle, or towards and outside edge, you may come up short on rope length, thus resulting in a marginally hit fish, or even a miss.
   Bringing a file and/or a stone out with you to touch up your spear points, if they become damaged, after a bottom contact with rocks or gravel might be a good idea.
   Best option is to NOT spear in rock or gravel areas.  ;)
   Good Luck with whatever you decide!
x2
and if you get a less then perfect hit on a big fish its good to let the spear hold it to the bottom till it tires out!

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2014, 09:23 PM »
Last year I missed a smaller northern while spearing.  I also failed to grab the rope before hitting bottom (be sure rope is easily accessible).  After the mud settled some, I couldn't see my spear!  I started pulling it up and started to get tension on the rope. Finally, my 5 foot spear started to emerge from the silty bottom with no fish on it!  Couldn't believe the mud was that thick!
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline JCrean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2014, 06:29 PM »
Stopping a spear before it hits the bottom can shake a fish that has been stuck, unless it is done gradually.  I can tell you from experience most guys that stop the spear don't do it gradually! 

Let it go and allow the bottom to piledrive the spear if the bottom isn't rocky.

On rocky bottoms, stop the spear if you value its life.

I like using paracord on my spears, because even if I stop it quickly the dynamic nature of the cord allows it to stretch and makes it less abrupt.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.