The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: License Increase !  (Read 2726 times)

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish now or never !!!!!!!
License Increase !
« on: Jan 05, 2014, 05:49 AM »
Was unaware of increases across the board for all fishing and hunting that we will do this year! I didn't get a raise! Hope the state puts more fish and deer out there for us!

Offline slopoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH ON!!
Re: License Increase !
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2014, 06:12 AM »
Was unaware of increases across the board for all fishing and hunting that we will do this year! I didn't get a raise! Hope the state puts more fish and deer out there for us!

and better boat launches, im afraid the state doesn't care half as much about fishing, other than tourist trap crap. and the same for hunting, they don't want hunters here, just license sales. I don't even want to get started on effing bait and prices! >:(
its easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission... FISH ON!!!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2014, 06:57 AM »
My license stayed the same ??

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2014, 07:26 AM »
Yes , fishing only license stayed the same. Combination is up $2 - muzzleloading is up $3 - archery is up $3 more and hunting only is up $2 more. It all adds up! Along with bait prices! Complaining but not going to stop ! As long as I see improvement in our fish and game dept. -[ still waiting].

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2014, 07:31 AM »
Mistake- hunting only is also $3 more not $2 as I reported before.

Offline Woodfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2014, 08:15 AM »
and better boat launches, im afraid the state doesn't care half as much about fishing, other than tourist trap crap. and the same for hunting, they don't want hunters here, just license sales. I don't even want to get started on effing bait and prices! >:(

Bait prices are crazy. Make a man stay home. 

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2014, 11:33 AM »
Maybe a registration on kayaks, or a bird watching license.  Seems like the sportsmen keep paying the bills for everyone else that uses the woods and water.  I don't complain that much about bait prices, the shops are only passing on the price increase.  The problem comes when they decide the regs aren't worth the bait sales.  Since you can't trap you own, tip ups could be a thing of the past.  BOHICA!!!
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2014, 12:40 PM »
Im with you MikeVT Thumbs up! Sportsman are the real conservationists around here and the kayakers raise there nose to us. paddle there rich selves around enjoying fish and game ramps and waters without paying a dime. I had 1 kayaker deliberately paddle his yak into my boat. I told him they must be very hard steer. would have liked to run him down. I don't mind paying more for my license, but I have had some tuff encounters with non sportsman paddlers including a totally BS ticket on the conneticut even the warden was on my side but their numbers won out. Seriously if it wouldn't give us all a bad name I would make sport out of harassing kayakers and canoes without fishing gear
Come on get on the ice fish!!

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2014, 07:12 PM »
Maybe a registration on kayaks,

Been saying this for years......  All it would take is a $5.00 a boat yearly reg fee. 

Offline Jiggalot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2014, 07:57 PM »
If there was a registration fee on non motorized canoes and kayaks it would be another fee on fishermen.  Many fishermen and future fishermen would probably just say no to fishing licences.   

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:33 AM »
Have a $5 reg fee on canoes/kayaks only if you don't buy a hunting or fishing license!  That way the treehuggers pay and we don't pay MORE.

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:48 AM »
Have a $5 reg fee on canoes/kayaks only if you don't buy a hunting or fishing license!  That way the treehuggers pay and we don't pay MORE.

X2!!!  Thumbs up. 
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:53 AM »
All I get out of these threads is that I can't take my canoe out because I'm not hunting or fishing right then and there. Access has been and always will be an issue, but I doubt excluding different activities from the outdoors is the answer.

Having a registration fee would seem to be the answer so there would be some data on how many nonmotorized watercraft are being used in VT, and here's an idea: MAYBE accesses would improve to meet these needs.

Also it isn't just a 1-sided issue. I can't count the number of times I've seen "fishermen" or duck "hunters" deliberately blow by a small group of kayaks minding their own business out of everyone's way, just to create a huge wake and spray water all over the people.

I'll make sure not to use any accesses unless I'm fishing, don't want to upset anyone.  ::)
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:52 AM »
A few years ago I was at a f & w board meeting, where this issue of registering came up.  You wouldn't believe how hard this group rep was fighting against it( can't remember who he represented now, it's been 3 years at least).  Even when a board member brought up how the cars plug up the accesses without paying for it, he still was claiming they had the right to use it.  To me, if you don't pay, then you shouldn't get to play.
Silly rookies, traps are for animals!!  Tilts are for kids!!  Fishermen use tip ups!

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:07 AM »

I'll make sure not to use any accesses unless I'm fishing, don't want to upset anyone.  ::)

That's not the point.  We (hunters and fisherman) are footing the bill for everyone that uses the launches.  It would only be fair for the non-hunting/fishing public to help pay for the launches they use.  Having a registration fee on kayaks and canoes (if you don't already have a hunting/fishing license) would make sure everyone pays their share.

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:22 AM »
I think its important to understand were the money actualy comes from before people try to run out an entire group of people based on if they fish/hunt or not! I know i often fish from a canoe because i CAN NOT AFFORD to pay for a boat and all the fees! I would assume this is the case for many! SO lets push them out or make people pay more fees, like we dont already! but back to the funding! according to the numbers only 1/3rd of the total operating costs of F&W come from licence sales! That said the rest has to come form somewhere, like tax payers! So those people that dont fish are paying for access use in one way or another! your fishing licence is so you can fish not use an access!
Think I'm gettin abite my flag's twitchin
twitter@wefishing2day IG: Smelty88

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:44 AM »
oh no a hole $2 increase in my combo licnese.  that's one half of a beer less I can drink at the bar now this year in exchange of enjoying the privilidge of fishing and hunting for a WHOLE YEAR!!!!!  give me a break ya bunch of whiners
Also, not the point.  With a fee increase should come an improvement of the product provided.  Fees keep going up, and the overall quality of hunting and fishing continues to decrease.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2014, 11:37 AM »
I fish from my canoe all the time. No motor - no regristation.
All this means is that I have right of way priority at the access over those in a canoe or kayak or sailboarding that are not fishing, as my license paid for this privilege according the the F&W rules...not that it means spit since it's not enforced by F&W...good luck with that...unless those that have purchased fishing licenses start calling on the warden to enforce these rules, it won't do anything for anybody and the fishing license/boat registation/PWC registration funds that go to make access areas for us will continue to be used by those that are not paying for their usage

Offline Canadianiceguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2014, 11:50 AM »
just curious. how much is a license down there?

Offline kgf1176

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2014, 12:53 PM »
At the Lake Elmore "Fishing Access" there is a granite block  with the state statute pertaining to authorized use of a fishing access written on it and it clearly states that access's are for people to use who are there for the purpose of fishing only. It doesn't specify what if any craft may or may not be used so long as they're there for fishing. I took a picture of it, if I can find it I will post it here.
 They really should have one of those at every fishing access in the state.

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2014, 01:14 PM »
http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/library/Reports_and_Documents/Fisheries/Accessareas/access-area-rules.pdf

interesting stuff! according to the rules, a person fishing can use the access with a canoe or the such but if they are not they technically need to find a different place to put their boat in!
Think I'm gettin abite my flag's twitchin
twitter@wefishing2day IG: Smelty88

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2014, 04:02 PM »
just curious. how much is a license down there?

Resident hunting /fishing is 40 bucks ,nonresident combo is 135. cheap enough! ;)

Offline rbobby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2014, 04:05 PM »
oh no a hole $2 increase in my combo licnese.  that's one half of a beer less I can drink at the bar now this year in exchange of enjoying the privilidge of fishing and hunting for a WHOLE YEAR!!!!!  give me a break ya bunch of whiners

Perfectly said.

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2014, 04:16 PM »
 How come the fish and game has not announced this increase? I know we have a member who is employed by them but haven't heard his response to this post!

Offline ssinvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2014, 05:12 PM »
I think the problem is not the fish and game but our employers.  I don't know about you guys but I am about sick of not getting a raise every year lately.  If my employer would keep up with the cost of living increases instead of compairing us to what people in India makes, than a couple dollar increase wouldn't be a pain.  Not that I am complaining.  I am sure I am not alone with my employer screwing me over every year and not paying and keeping up with the cost of living. 

But on the other hand my license was $10 the first time I bought one. 

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2014, 05:55 PM »
and the state did a nice job under the crown point bridge,too

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:07 PM »
http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/library/Reports_and_Documents/Fisheries/Accessareas/access-area-rules.pdf

interesting stuff! according to the rules, a person fishing can use the access with a canoe or the such but if they are not they technically need to find a different place to put their boat in!

I have seen wardens ask people to leave a fishing access area and find another place to park when it was evident they were only using the access parking to facilitate their hiking on the ice (or cross country skiing).

Some of these fishing accesses have very limited parking and it was good to see the wardens keeping them available for the people that pay for them with their license fees!!! ;) ;) ;)

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 07, 2014, 10:00 AM »
X2 on that I fish a lot from my canoe!

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2014, 11:05 AM »
I think its important to understand were the money actualy comes from before people try to run out an entire group of people based on if they fish/hunt or not! I know i often fish from a canoe because i CAN NOT AFFORD to pay for a boat and all the fees! I would assume this is the case for many! SO lets push them out or make people pay more fees, like we dont already! but back to the funding! according to the numbers only 1/3rd of the total operating costs of F&W come from licence sales! That said the rest has to come form somewhere, like tax payers! So those people that dont fish are paying for access use in one way or another! your fishing licence is so you can fish not use an access!

x2

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
« Reply #29 on: Jan 07, 2014, 11:40 AM »
most of the money that builds and maintains Vt. fishing access areas comes from boat registration fees, fishing license fees, and not income or property taxes,so your argument that everone pays is not true.According to signs I have read at access areas,fishing with a boat (any boat) takes priority over non-fishing use. Kayaks not fishing and canoes not fishing and everone else is 2nd,3rd and 4th down the list.Fisherman have priority and a warden will back you up in that regard.

according to the Vt. state rules,the following
are authorized activities in order of priority:
4.1 Angling, ice fishing and the launching of any vessel to be used for fishing
and parking of vehicles and trailers necessary for and contemporaneous
with these purposes.
4.2 The launching of inboard and outboard motorboats engaging in any
activity and parking of vehicles and trailers necessary for and
contemporaneous with that purpose.
4.3 Trapping, hunting and parking of vehicles and boat trailers necessary for
and contemporaneous with that purpose.
4.4 Launching of all non-motorized vessels not used for commercial purposes
and parking of vehicles and boat trailers necessary for and
contemporaneous with that purpose. Users shall launch from the
designated non-motorized launch site, when such a site is identified.
4.5 ATV’s and snowmobiles when being used solely for the purposes of ice
fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.