Author Topic: Not so seceret ice fishing tips and tricks  (Read 14441 times)

Offline Lj

• IceShanty Rookie
Not so seceret ice fishing tips and tricks
« on: Jan 04, 2014, 05:57 PM »
I got a helpful tip on keeping your ice hole from refreezing while your fishing it is to get a old nylon and add some rock salt and put it in the hole and walla your hole will quit refreezing

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Not so seceret ice fishing tips and tricks
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2014, 06:05 PM »
When fishing for Trout,crappie, bluegill  Take your hook  apply super glue to shank of hook .....fill hand with maggots....touch hook to maggots.  you will catch 10 times as many fish. the maggots wiggle the whole time until they get eaten.  tight lines!!!
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline walleyhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2014, 06:17 PM »
to help with tipup holes from freezing, use plastic sandwich bags with hand warmers put under tip up in the water. I have used them overnight on cold nights with success.

Offline hagfan72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2014, 06:25 PM »
I got a helpful tip on keeping your ice hole from refreezing while your fishing it is to get a old nylon and add some rock salt and put it in the hole and walla your hole will quit refreezing

Definitely going to try this trick!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2014, 06:59 PM »
I wouldn't think adding rock salt in the water is a good thing for the water. also, woulnt the salt cause corrosion to the metal parts on your traps?

Offline hagfan72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2014, 07:05 PM »
I wouldn't think there is enough salt to worry about that.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2014, 07:39 PM »
to help with tipup holes from freezing, use plastic sandwich bags with hand warmers put under tip up in the water. I have used them overnight on cold nights with success.

I Like this idea a lot!!! Gonna have to try this soon

Go Beavers!

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2014, 08:08 PM »

Does it work?? I tried it several times and it didnt.

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2014, 08:10 PM »
Have to try the hand warmer trick!!

Jig UP tip ups had kindof the same thought on this.

Offline Fishlip off the hook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2014, 08:14 PM »
I have the tip of tips....no swimming in the winter!!!! Stay safe out there...No secret there  :thumbsup:

Offline DAPOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2014, 08:20 PM »
Does it work?? I tried it several times and it didnt.

Salt water is heavier than fresh, so as the salt dissolves, it will sink and be replaced by fresh. I would think you would have to "surround" the hole with salt so there is a continuous flow of salt water???  Just my $.02

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2014, 08:51 PM »
Spit on your minnow.  Sounds stupid but I have unscientifically proven more fish bite a spit on minnow than an unspit on minnow.  Fished them in side by side holes and caught more fish on the slimed up minnow.  I even switched holes and the fish bit the spit on minnow over the other.  I also found that it worked much better if you were chewing on a swisher sweet cigar while working up the spit for the minnow. 

A friend of mine told me this trick many years ago.  I'm assuming he was pulling my leg.  I think he was pretty surprised when I did it and out fished him that day.  My friend is no longer with us but I continue to spit on minnows in his memory.  Still gotta smile when I know it pays off.   ;D

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2014, 08:55 PM »
that is frickin funny dude

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2014, 08:59 PM »
Use a hole cover. its way better than polluting the waters with rock salt.

New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2014, 09:01 PM »
I have the tip of tips....no swimming in the winter!!!! Stay safe out there...No secret there  :thumbsup:
Whaddya talkin about?? just got out of the hot tub. 28° and snowing hard.

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2014, 10:49 PM »
How can a handful of salt in one hole pollute a body of water?!? I'm sure there are some worse things underwater than a handful of salt, one example being methane pockets, some of our lakes here have open water the size of swimming pools due to the methane bubbling up and therefor removing the ice.

~~~We Fish For The Fish That Eat The Fish You Fish For~~~
                    -MudbuM Boys

Offline Lj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2014, 12:22 AM »
I put the nylon right on the edge of the hole so its on the top it has allways worked for me and a little salt rock isn't going to pollute a lake a hand full of salt in a million gallons of water isn't enuf  to do anything

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2014, 01:46 PM »
I put the nylon right on the edge of the hole so its on the top it has allways worked for me and a little salt rock isn't going to pollute a lake a hand full of salt in a million gallons of water isn't enuf  to do anything

My point exactly, although around here it's more like billions or maybe trillions of gallons  ;D  ;D

-MudbuM Boys

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2014, 07:09 PM »
I don't know about you guys out west. But I would think here in NY/New England our state Environmental Departments would consider this polluting a water way. We have areas they won't even use salt on the roads to keep it out of the lakes and rivers.
Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Offline Lj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2014, 10:06 PM »
salt isn't really a issue here in Utah most of the state is salt theres even a underground spring here that they have put salt water fish and some type desolate shark in there and you can go scuba dive it

Offline hansonjb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:52 AM »
How can a handful of salt in one hole pollute a body of water?!? I'm sure there are some worse things underwater than a handful of salt, one example being methane pockets, some of our lakes here have open water the size of swimming pools due to the methane bubbling up and therefor removing the ice.

yea one handful of salt is no big deal but when you're telling the internet to do it to all of their holes every time they go out, don't you think the problem could be exponentially increased? just cover the hole. also i dont think anyone put the methane there, i think its probably a natural occurence

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2014, 09:27 AM »
No I don't think that if you put it in every hole it would a hurt thing, in parts of montana we can use 6 lines and most people don't set them close to each other(you could even say miles apart) so around here the libtards haven't put any restrictions on (salt) while ice fishing. That being said we just use tip up covers made from old grain elevator belts and pack snow on top of that, we have left them out overnight in -30 and only had an inch or two of ice. And for the methane it is a natural occurrence and it is everywhere especially when the temperature gets warmer.

-MudbuM Boys

Offline Lj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:58 PM »
hole covers work but not everybody uses tipups  and you cant jig to well with a cover

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2014, 08:55 PM »
I have heard of a coffe can with coal burning in it in a hole half drilled next to a true hole and ice chipped away to let the water flow between the two.

Offline sdatver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2014, 09:14 AM »
I have heard of a coffe can with coal burning in it in a hole half drilled next to a true hole and ice chipped away to let the water flow between the two.

X2!! Works well..

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 09, 2014, 09:11 PM »
dont put rock salt in your holes... many better ways to keep your hole clear.

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 09, 2014, 09:27 PM »
A few handfuls of salt is not going to affect any lake out there. You could probably drop a handful in a lg fish tank with no affect. All the salt on the roads ends up in the lakes and rivers with not much ill affect.

Offline Lj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 09, 2014, 09:37 PM »
anyway I have another tip for night fishing you can go to the dollar store and get the 6 or 12 inch glow sticks depending ion the pole size and a little tape or string if you don't like tape and run the glow stick up the pole the rainbow ones work best for me for the color difference makes it easier to see when you get a bite and there bright enough to see the line coming out of the tip for the lighter bites works better then the little ones you can buy that snap to the tip cause I still haven't found one that stays on the tip of mine

Offline Lj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 09, 2014, 09:41 PM »
A few handfuls of salt is not going to affect any lake out there. You could probably drop a handful in a lg fish tank with no affect. All the salt on the roads ends up in the lakes and rivers with not much ill affect.
when I change the water in my 55 gallon fresh water tank I have to put a time release salt pellet in the tank it helps the fish believe it or not

Offline Swampstud

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 09, 2014, 11:47 PM »
Instead of salt, use a plain white foam paper plate. Cheap and keeps holes thawed. As long as ya pick them up they wont contaminate anything :)
Keep those hooks sharp, or watch em swim away!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.