Author Topic: Who else was brave, stupid, crazy, psyched to fish the coldest morning in years  (Read 1099 times)

Offline dryfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
Holy crap..... -19 degrees and I was drilling holes as the sun was coming up today.

The good ....

- beautiful sunrise
- fished with an old friend I haven't fished or hunted with in a long time
- had a lot  of laughs
- caught an absolutely gorgeous brown .... approx. 18" and fat (didn't take him out of hole cuz of the  cold so no picts sorry)

The bad....

- snow was deep on the ice and I aint in the best of shape
- smelts are a pain... not going down hole....swimming back up hole and then swimming circles around my reel
- had to work slow setting up cuz of the cold
- couldn't keep the heater going in the Shappell

The ugly....

-  my glasses kept fogging up every 2 minutes while setting up... it was maddening  ::)
-  we only lasted 2 hours
-  just getting warm now 5 hours later !   
-  came down with one helluva headache as soon as I got home  >:(

Glad we went.... beautiful brown that I wanted to take picts of but I just cut the leader  at the hook.
Never again will I go out at sunup again at -19 degrees.......

Cant wait for tomorrow   ;D

Who else was out at daybreak ?

Tight Lines and many flags gang !

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
Was out there before sunup...glad my heater fired up fine... I stayed tucked in the pop-up and jigged 'gills until 9:30 nice and cozy   ;D

Offline dryfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
Was out there before sunup...glad my heater fired up fine... I stayed tucked in the pop-up and jigged 'gills until 9:30 nice and cozy   ;D

Awesome !
Guess we were the only two hardcores out there while everyone else ate pancakes and watched Lifetime  ;D

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
There were a pair of guys across the pond that showed up about 7:30.... no shelter, using tip-ups...man, I cant imagine how quick their holes were freezing up... :o

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Awesome !
Guess we were the only too hardcores out there while everyone else ate pancakes and watched Lifetime  ;D

Hey! I was eating pancakes and surfing Ice Shanty... not watching lifetime lol.
You guys are certainly hardcore, My alarm went off at 5:30 I wondered down stairs and my weather station said -13... I stoked the fire and went back to bed.
Congrats on the brown.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
I would have been but instead was on a concrete floor pulling the front driveshaft out of my Dodge. Cold to do that, but not to fish. ;D
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
   Congrat's on the brown dryfly. The pancakes were good
John

Offline dryfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
 ;D
Hey H8 ... Sux about the driveshaft.... weekend auto work no good.  >:(

New guy here looking forward to the Circus get-together.
I will bring venison chili and bourbon.

Finally warming up damnit !

Offline Swampdonkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Can't catch em from the couch.
Myself, MTPockets, Buckhunt, Jackinthebobhouse, and another buddy of ours were on the ice at 630. We left around 3. Few crappie  white perch and some yellows. Ill tell ya tho it wernt bad in the sun with no wind. The deer sausage bacon and cheese sandwiches did help tho. I dunno bout you guys who were too scared of the cold. They dont make men like they used to I guess. ;D

Offline dryfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
What does a guy gotta do fer one of dem there deer sausage and bacon and cheese sandwiches ?

Offline dryfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
Myself, MTPockets, Buckhunt, Jackinthebobhouse, and another buddy of ours were on the ice at 630. We left around 3. Few crappie  white perch and some yellows. Ill tell ya tho it wernt bad in the sun with no wind. The deer sausage bacon and cheese sandwiches did help tho. I dunno bout you guys who were too scared of the cold. They dont make men like they used to I guess. ;D

You probably had Lifetime on in the bobhouse ...admit it !   ;D

Offline Swampdonkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Can't catch em from the couch.
No but DVR'D it for when I got home.

Offline dryfly

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hit up a pond steady traipsing through the snow after flags lots of pickerel and jumbo perch and a few smallies too. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would have been slight wind came up in afternoon and chilled us a bit.

Offline Rando5512

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather go fishin'!
My buddy and I were on the ice to watch the sunrise with traps in. Thermo in the truck read -17 when arriving. The portable saved us today. Fished til 3

Offline Altonbayicefishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
-5 @ 7:00am in Alton bay, set up the shack and was in a t-shirt by 8:00! Only 3 perch so not a total loss today.
Life is good!

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I was slinging breakfast and then lunch till 4 today couldn't make it out. Tomorrow is looking doubtful too for me to meet you down there. We have 2 sick little boys..... Then Florida on Tuesday.  I will be hopefully getting into some Reds and sea trout down there.
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
I didn't make it out on the ice, but I was close to some ice you could say...BRUINS  :thumbsup:   4-1  :tipup:
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline madtrappa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • [URL=http://s1176.photobucket.com/user/jcr1026/med
clams and I were out today on the big lake looking for Lakers 6:30 a.m. -9 degrees I got a real nice Laker about 23 inches right off the bat what up there with a couple of the guys and got four fish with threeflags all day mine came on a s smelt only eight feet of water everybody else in 30 feet on jigs very cold morning but turned out to be a beautiful afternoon popup always helps to stay warm

Offline NH4ME

• IceShanty Rookie
I would have loved to but people need their heating oil. Crazy isn't it?!?
Brave Rifles!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.