New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Hummingbird ice flashers  (Read 678 times)

Offline wild1ce

• IceShanty Rookie
Hummingbird ice flashers
« on: Jan 04, 2014, 11:34 AM »
Looking into a hummingbird flasher. Anyone have any thoughts on quality or performance of them?

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Hummingbird ice flashers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2014, 11:48 AM »
I own a H55 and have since the first year it came out (4 years now?????).  It started off rough as I sent back 3 powerheads until I received one that worked properly.  I have also blew threw a ducer last year and I baby my stuff.  The good news was HB customer service was top notch.  The even replaced my ducer out of warranty last year for free.

I owned vexilar for many years before the Bird.  I never had an issue with vex quality and dependability.  All my buddies run vex and have the same units they purchased 10 years ago.  I switched to the Bird because we often fished 4 flashers near each other and it created an IR war. 

I have zero interference with my buddies and their vexilars now.  We can fish 4 flashers in our wheelhouse minus the constant finger on the IR button. 

if you have buddies running HB beware.  I have fished with two different birds, a 35 and 45.  The 35 created a mess of interference that we never could get rid of.  The 45 created interference but not quite as bad.  We could clean it up but it always came back.  IMO 2 units side by side should not throw interference.  I would purchase a HB again if another buddy bought one as I hate interference.   

As far as performance I like the unit.  Picks up lures well, etc.  I like the fact that you can zoom anywhere in the water column. It performs just as well as vex did marking fish if not better as it is a more powerful unit.   

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2014, 02:26 PM »
I also have had the ice 55 for four yrs. This is what I like - the display. Nice and big,easy to read and it does mark even the tinyous of jigs. Great for these ageing eyes. The service is also excellent. I broke the power knob off of it a year out of warantee and they replaced the knob ( I had to send it in ) for free.
What I do not like -  the vex and Marcum are much better at picking up fish and your lure in shallow weedy ponds. Almost useless in water 10' or less  with weeds that come off the bottom. I have tested this unit right next to the other two a few times now and they both outperform the humminbirdunder those conditions.  But, for deeper perch and eyes, I like it better.

Offline J-Lopez

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2014, 10:48 PM »
I have a 45, my second year with it, no problems. It's my first flasher so I have nothing to compare it to, but it has been a game changer for me.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2014, 05:27 AM »
FYI, there is no such thing as Hummingbird ice flashers. There is no "g". Humminbird.
Pete Lewis

Offline jigginguru

• IceShanty Rookie
  • tap, tap, lift and wiggle
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2014, 05:28 AM »
x2 . Bought my 45 at Thorne and have had no issues besides having more fish to filet  ;D

I have a 45, my second year with it, no problems. It's my first flasher so I have nothing to compare it to, but it has been a game changer for me.
Catching more fish comes with a responsibility, keep a few for dinner and let the big ones swim another day.

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2014, 05:55 AM »
I have had  the 45 for a few years, and have been very happy with it.  IMO a good unit for the price.  However,  I would like to upgrade to the Marcum LX7, or Lx9 for the added features

Offline johnnieb71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2014, 06:16 AM »
I have been running a 55 for 3 years and have had no issues. The big screen is awesome and very easy on the eyes in and out of the shanty. I think it really shines when fishing for lakers in deep water. If I were in the market for a new flasher and the cost wasn't a driving factor, I would buy the LX 7. That unit is awesome.

Offline wild1ce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2014, 09:40 PM »
Thanks everyone for the feedback...very helpful.

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2014, 05:51 AM »
I have ran the ICE 55 for 2 full seasons now. Love the big display, and digital depth readout. I have fished with buddies who own 'Birds, and never saw any interference issues, but maybe we weren't close enough. I ran it New Years day in 4' of water and it marked fish just fine. I fish from 4'-40', and with the lightest of jigs to 3/4 oz spoons. There isn't one magical setting that will work in every situation. You need to tune it to the days program. I don't thin you'll be disappointed if you buy one, but get to learn how to use it in each scenario and it will be deadly.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Humminbird ICE55 & ICE HELIX 7
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels
Strikemaster 10" Lazer Pro & 6" Lazer
Ice Fishing Innovations Rod Locker

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.