Author Topic: Ice conditions... Canob pond???  (Read 444 times)

Offline honkus

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice conditions... Canob pond???
« on: Jan 04, 2014, 10:42 AM »
1st of all, I am a newbie around here (to the forum and RI/ice fishing in general), so please go easy on me.

Was looking for some info on ice conditions. It seems like the RI DEM Ice Safety hotline (401-222-2632) is no longer in order. Says the # changed and redirects you to the RI Parks and Rec dept.

Anyways, my neighbor and I were looking to get some fishing in this afternoon. I've heard Canob pond  (off 138, near 95 behind the dragon palace), is usually the 1st to freeze and is good for bass. Can anyone confirm? Any other ways to check ice thickness besides getting out there yourself? Thanks in advance.

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
Re: Ice conditions... Canob pond???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2014, 12:47 PM »
just got back from meadowbrook so sorry for the late reply Canob is usually hot for first ice checked it a couple days ago 3 near shore 2 further out  http://www.dem.ri.gov/maps/mapfile/pondbath.pdf  this web site will give the a depth map of most of the ponds in R I  as for safe ice DEM does not certify ice as safe they always say it not safe in R I you hunt  fish and boat at your own risk any thing else I can help you with I will be happy and welcome to Ice Shanty

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2014, 01:03 PM »
also be careful  Canob has a little moving water the goes from right to left facing the highway comes from the Far right corner moves down through the 9 feet of water then turns back toward the highway and out the far left corner between that house and 95

Offline Fishing_Machine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2014, 01:43 PM »
There is also a lot of emergent weeds along the shoreline.  When the sun hits them plants, the edges soften up fast.
I live near that pond and as Halfhooked said, we checked a couple days ago and was too thin for us to go beyond 50 yards.

Once it rains tomorrow or Monday and cools off again it should be better.  FM

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.