Author Topic: South Pond  (Read 2574 times)

Offline UVandbeyond

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Flags UP!
South Pond
« on: Jan 04, 2014, 10:02 AM »
Hey fellas,
Long time browser but new to the board. Mostly fish the Upper Valley area but looking to hit some bigger and more remote waters this year as I got my 87 Polaris up and running. I can't stop thinking about South Pond in Stark, this place seems epic from all my armchair scouting but when I was up there last spring I could not find public access (park gate was closed). Is South Pond accessible during the winter? If i don't get in there soon I'm gonna start carrying a print out of the depth map around and calling it my precious..... Any info on this place would be much appreciated. Hope everyone's season is going strong at this point.
Flags UP

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: South Pond
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2014, 10:25 AM »
Welcome to the Ice Shanty UV. I've never fished south pond but I have a buddy that occasionally uses the site who knows it well. I'll ask him to post some info for you. From what I remember him mentioning... access can be tough in the winter? He also mentioned catching some lakers there but nothing of any size. I'll give him a call and get you some info.

Offline StayPuft

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2014, 11:46 AM »
Hi There. I am a Stark native and have fished south pond extensively for many years. As far as the public access goes, if you continue straight on the road rather than turning right towards the gated road to the pond you will find yourself amongst some camps on "North Pond" which is connected to the bigger South Pond. There is a boat launch not far down that road with very limited parking on the right side, so get there early if you intend to take advantage of that. You can just scoot across the small pond, through the canal out to the big pond on a sled real easy. As far as the fishing goes, its a bit disappointing honestly. I can fully understand why one would be inclined to think the fishing would be outstanding just looking at the depth maps, but unfortunately that is not the case. There are lakers in the big pond, but they are horribly stunted. You will be hard pressed to take anything outside the 14-15 inch range. This has been that way for years and years to my knowledge, but has never been addressed as of yet. Nonetheless, its a fun pond with opportunities to catch some decent brookies, perch, pickerel, and there are usually some really nice bass taken each year as well. Also, south pond is home to the cusk(burbot) which are a real hoot pulling through the ice. Hope at least some of this can be helpful for you. Cheers!

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2014, 04:09 PM »
I think the the slot limit is smaller than most lakes...billion lakers but small..stocked rainbows in there as well...cold and windy up there ...access is just like the previous poster stated...Christine might be a better choice but access road is steep
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline UVandbeyond

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Flags UP!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2014, 11:15 PM »
Thanks Trout Fisherman for the referral and thanks StayPuft and jibbs for the info. Much appreciated. Bummer on the South pond prospects as far as lakers. Also been looking at Cedar pond, which seems like it is stocked to high heaven, and as jibbs mentioned Christine lake. Got out more locally today and iced my first ever laker, 21" what a bull dog at the hole, stellar on a 4# UL. Also picked up a 17.5" rainbow.

Flags UP

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2014, 09:22 AM »
Yep, if you look at the NHFG depth map there is a restriction on lake trout for South Pond, that special restriction is you can take them at 15" instead of the 18" general rule. Must be overrun with them.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Rando5512

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather go fishin'!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2014, 03:50 PM »
Nice fish UV! Christine has some nice browns in it but access can be very tough. The road leading up to it is very steep and not well maintained in the winter. And it can be very windy. Cedar Pond has a lot of baitfish but the rainbows are catchable. Access is very easy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.