The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: AROD ICE  (Read 992 times)

Offline gone_fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on! Hold my beer!
AROD ICE
« on: Jan 03, 2014, 09:13 AM »
Thinkin bout headin up to the arod lakes this weekend but never been there. Just wonderin if anyone has any info or advice

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline gone_fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on! Hold my beer!
Re: AROD ICE
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2014, 09:44 AM »
Thanks for the link Jay

strgon84

« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2014, 02:59 PM »
Hey gone-fishin sunday is going to be a high of 3 with 15 mph wind out of the northwest. weve been in worse, so I think im goin to find an old tent or something to shelter up in whereever we go.

Offline gone_fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on! Hold my beer!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2014, 04:54 PM »
i got a couple tents we could use. one of em is dectent sized and has more than enough room. i really do wanna check out those lakes soon though

Offline snorty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2014, 05:20 PM »
I used to go fishing on Arod when I was a kid.  Our farm was only 5 miles from the lakes.  We used to call the Crop lakes since the Crop's owned the land around these lakes before they became Arod.  We used to catch Pike.  Always fun getting blown around the ice since the wind would blow all of the time!

Offline gone_fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on! Hold my beer!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2014, 06:37 PM »
yeah. the wind is the thing I'm least looking forward to. but as long as I'm catchin fish, I don't care about the weather

strgon84

« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2014, 08:53 PM »
Your gonna think wind! Lets just hope that tent of yours holds up!! Naw it don't sound that bad for sunday but it is Montana. to bad you have to work tomorrow. just head to leonards on your lunch and get some maggots or something, I'll ask around about what to use up there for bait.

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep ur knots tight and ur lines tighter!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2014, 10:25 PM »
Buddy n I went up 2day from Helena. Got up their right at day light wind was blowing about Mach 3 with snow blowing sideways. Needles 2 say it was a nice drive up. i didnt feel like breaking the shack n chasing tip ups arcoss the ice. there is water on the edge but this cold snap should seal that up. we went back through great falls for some minnows n jiggs so it wasn't a total loss.

Ps I know the wind always blows up there in thoughs parts but today was rediculuos!
Luv2strip

So good with my rod I make fish come!

strgon84

« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2014, 01:07 AM »
Thanks for the info strippnthedream. goin up on sunday to see whats up, like everyone tells me Bynum is the place to go. but wind is wind, I guess we'll find out. all the way up there from Helena? must have heard some good reports or done good yourself, guess I shouldn't say much as I always fished up at the fresno tailwater. which is quite the drive from GF.

Offline thorstk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2014, 01:40 AM »
ice was great 2 weeks ago, 20 or so inches shore was soft but hard black ice

Offline gone_fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on! Hold my beer!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2014, 12:43 PM »
Sounds like its gonna be interesting but i guess we'll give it a whirl. Thanks for the info Strippn and Thor. I'll get a report back on here to let you guys know how we did

strgon84

« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2014, 12:48 PM »
im hoping to find some older holes to use cause 20 or so inches with a hand auger is goin to be fun. what time are you off tonight gone-fishin?

Offline gone_fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on! Hold my beer!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2014, 12:50 PM »
I'm outta here at 4 then i gotta go get bait then head i'll head over to talk about tomorrow

strgon84

« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2014, 12:54 PM »
we should be home. heading to thadds for a few minutes but that's about it. see ya then. Oh yeah, got the tipups out and ready and the truck actually started up!!

Offline gone_fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on! Hold my beer!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:38 AM »
Well guys, we did pretty good for our first time up there. Nothin on the tip ups but we got a few perch. Not much for numbers but they were decent sized.

Offline icefisher74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2014, 06:26 PM »
Where were you on the lake if you don't mind me asking?

strgon84

« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:27 PM »
We were the guys with a hand auger on the main lake. Thank goodness there were three kind guys out before us and let us use their jiffy. WOW. What a lifesaver. spent all day asking and online trying to find a used one for this coming weekend. Thanks to the guys who let us use there auger!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.