The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Mitchell & Cadillac ATV/UTV caution.  (Read 1965 times)

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Mitchell & Cadillac ATV/UTV caution.
« on: Jan 02, 2014, 06:57 PM »
New Years day fished on Caddy out of popular Kenwood Park.  Ice was reported at Pilgrim Village to be 8 to 10" on both lakes.  I use a 4x4 ATV/UTV Yamaha Rhino 660 to pull my sled.  Turned on GPS and headed South.  250 YARDS all is good....THEN BAM just below the crust was about 12 to 14" of SLUSH!!!  I whipped it around and bogged down into the SLUSH!  I was in 4WH at the time.  I then went into 4WL which locks front hubs and was able to pull myself out.  After nearly crapting myself!!! 

So I fished at the 250 yard-line :).  3 Pike and 10 Crappies for the day.  I was thinking of WAYS to get out if the 4W-Low/Lock did not work.... I came up with use Auger to drill a hole within 50 feet of my Winch Cable and use Auger as Achor Point...NOTE TO SELF....DO NOT PROCEED MORE THAN 50' INTO SLUSH!!!

Snowmobiles DO handle SLUSH better than ATV/UTV's.

Hope this Helps somebody, someday... BLESS
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Mitchell & Cadillac ATV/UTV caution.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2014, 07:18 PM »
my buddy has a big snow mobile and it got stuck in slush and burned out a belt trying to get out. we were pulling my tub full of our gear with the cover on it and i was on the back when the slush found us

the thing was packed tight with snow and slush

i had to walk a long way that day so he could get it back to the trailer

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2014, 07:22 PM »
my buddy has a big snow mobile and it got stuck in slush and burned out a belt trying to get out. we were pulling my tub full of our gear with the cover on it and i was on the back when the slush found us

the thing was packed tight with snow and slush

i had to walk a long way that day so he could get it back to the trailer

Yeah...I NEVER been a SLED-HEAD so I guess there are alot of factors, weight, width, Hp, slush-consistency, Clutch types... Ect....  Either way a Public Service Bulletin for these lakes :)  BLESS
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline POLEBENDER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2014, 04:18 AM »
make a set of skis for the front and put paddle tires on the back you should have no trouble going anywhere it would be your on design.

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2014, 08:06 AM »
make a set of skis for the front and put paddle tires on the back you should have no trouble going anywhere it would be your on design.

Another GREAT IDEA!!!  Dang another expense vs benifit opportunity.  Bless :)
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2014, 07:54 AM »
New Years day fished on Caddy out of popular Kenwood Park.  Ice was reported at Pilgrim Village to be 8 to 10" on both lakes.  I use a 4x4 ATV/UTV Yamaha Rhino 660 to pull my sled.  Turned on GPS and headed South.  250 YARDS all is good....THEN BAM just below the crust was about 12 to 14" of SLUSH!!!  I whipped it around and bogged down into the SLUSH!  I was in 4WH at the time.  I then went into 4WL which locks front hubs and was able to pull myself out.  After nearly ****ting myself!!! 

So I fished at the 250 yard-line :).  3 Pike and 10 Crappies for the day.  I was thinking of WAYS to get out if the 4W-Low/Lock did not work.... I came up with use Auger to drill a hole within 50 feet of my Winch Cable and use Auger as Achor Point...NOTE TO SELF....DO NOT PROCEED MORE THAN 50' INTO SLUSH!!!

Snowmobiles DO handle SLUSH better than ATV/UTV's.

Hope this Helps somebody, someday... BLESS

Just a friendly warning about the winch.  I too have used it in the past for extracting my wheeled ATV from slush.  This is my first year with tracks on the ATV and I stuck it twice this past Saturday in deep slush and deep snow...had both coming over the top of my front box very quickly.  Winch extraction wasn't possible as it was totally encased in ice even after digging out (temp was 10 and the slush froze relatively quickly).  I'm going to have to come up with a back-up plan in the event that happens again.  Just wanted to share the learning experience.  ;-)
Chris Raymond

Offline KURT SCHELL

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My wife say's I tune out even the little voices.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2014, 08:02 AM »
Maybe get a cover for the winch. I personally use an 8 wheel Argo.  But let me tell you even with that you need to be smart on how and where you drive it! even with tracks it too can get stuck.  And always where there is no trees or anything to hook my winch to! lol.
PLEASE NO DISTRACTIONS, FISHING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2014, 10:00 AM »
Just a friendly warning about the winch.  I too have used it in the past for extracting my wheeled ATV from slush.  This is my first year with tracks on the ATV and I stuck it twice this past Saturday in deep slush and deep snow...had both coming over the top of my front box very quickly.  Winch extraction wasn't possible as it was totally encased in ice even after digging out (temp was 10 and the slush froze relatively quickly).  I'm going to have to come up with a back-up plan in the event that happens again.  Just wanted to share the learning experience.  ;-)

Thanks Chris... FYI I am a TECHIE / HUSKY too.  GREAT info
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2014, 10:21 AM »
Thanks Chris... FYI I am a TECHIE / HUSKY too.  GREAT info

What year?  I graduated in '89.  I've been back here for the last 8 years but before that lived in TC for 9 - 10 years.  Small world. 
Chris Raymond

Offline Burt Lake Ron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2014, 10:45 AM »
Cover for the winch.  I definitely have got to do that.  8 to 12 inches of slush and snow here at Burt with about 6 or so of good ice below in most spots.  When I get home from being out for the day, if I get out very far that is, my SxS is covered completely in slush and it freezes up pretty darn fast.  I need a heated garage now to thaw it out. Mr. Heater takes forever.  Anyway, I hate getting stuck, but now I'm thinking if I get tracks on my machine and then get stuck it'll be spring before I get out.  Burt's a big lake and it really sucks to have to walk out there through all this crap.  We need a good thaw and refreeze to firm it all up.  Way to much snow right now.  Oh well, I was getting too fat anyways.  I need a good workout.

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2014, 12:29 PM »
Caddy & Mitchell got a bit of a thaw but the POLAR Smack Down will end the "slush" on these lakes for now...BRING ATV's is AOK NOW.

MAN I wish I had a heated garage :)  Bless
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline Taco

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Givem the beans!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2014, 01:46 PM »
Instead of using your auger for an anchor point, throw a piece of pipe in the toolbox. 12-15" with a hook to attach your cable to. Drill a hole and drop it in.attach the cable in the middle is obvious I'd hope...
It will save you from bending your auger...

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Mitchell & Cadillac ATV/UTV caution. Updated 20 Jan
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2014, 12:34 PM »
Caddy & Mitchell got a bit of a thaw but the POLAR Smack Down will end the "slush" on these lakes for now...BRING ATV's is AOK NOW.

MAN I wish I had a heated garage :)  Bless

Well the POLAR SMACK down did help with Slush on Cadillac it DID NOT eliminate it.  From Kenwood Park South now you can go about 400 yards then there is Slush below Crust.  Again my UTV was stuck.  Going into 4WL and some shoveling and a pusher I was out in 30 minutes.  Another few hundred bucks I will ADD a Rear Winch that will mount into my rear reciever 2" this next FALL.  I did see all snowmobiles get across the slush but then again none of them stopped in it either.  Bless
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.