Author Topic: Silver lake  (Read 957 times)

Offline Jfishermann

• Team IceShanty Regular
Silver lake
« on: Jan 01, 2014, 07:05 PM »
Supposed to fish silver lake with my cousin on saturday never been there, was wondering how the fishing was, and what the ice conditions were like if anyone would share?

Offline fishingabomb2006

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Silver lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2014, 07:19 PM »
it will be close, i wouldn't assume it is safe unless checking for sure, was open water very recently so be careful
Team Goldfish 55 :-D :-D
lifetime jigging goals:
gill-done; perch-done; crappie- done; bass- done; carp-done; catfish-done, splake-done; rainbow-done; brookie- done; pike- done; pickeral-done (29inch6.5lb); white fish-done;  laker-  ;cusk-  ;salmon-  ;walleye-

Offline JohnnyJigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2014, 07:25 PM »
Surprisingly it was all iced over....I popped a hole today 5 foot off the launch only had about an inch....
Pop holes as you go....I would wait a few more days....
Bite on my line
The man known as JohnS

Offline JLH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2014, 09:07 PM »
One in berlin is not safe. Checked it today and it is iced over but only about an inch of ice.

Offline bowhunter095

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2014, 10:37 PM »
Only walked a few feet off the launch and had ice cracking under my feet. I live right down the street so let me know if you want me to check Friday night. It will be very close though.

Offline wicane07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2014, 08:42 AM »
i fished there as a kid, is it still a toilet or what?

Offline ctice84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2014, 09:52 AM »
Early ice is best there and d as the season goes on it stinks in my opinion

Offline BWB-ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2014, 11:41 AM »
I went down to Silver lake on the 31st and there was still a spot of open water right at the launch. Like JLH said, it is iced over now but not safe. I live in Berlin and fished it last year at the beginning of the season and got 5 fish in a couple of hours (3 bass and 2 slime darts) but it slows down later in the season for some reason so ctice84 is right...not as good later on.
Still a decent place to go spend some time with the kids and/or family for a day on the ice when catching fish is second to having "social time" but not a spot if you're looking to do some serious ice fishing...IMHO.
"If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago". Zane Grey

"The water you touch in a river is the last of that which has passed, and the first of that which is coming; thus it is with time". Leonardo DaVinci

Offline bowhunter095

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2014, 11:58 AM »
I personally like ice fishing the lake better. I've never had a bad day out there when using tipups. Almost every time I go out I don't have enough time to set all of mine up before flags start flying. Never caught anything massive though.

Offline BWB-ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2014, 12:17 PM »
bowhunter095, u seem to have better luck than most out there. I agree on both the ice vs open water...and quality.  That's why a friendly trip with the family is great, you'll probably catch fish but nothing to brag about. I'm hoping that the next couple of days will bring some ice and it will be fishable this weekend.  Hope to see you out there!!!! Be safe!!

"If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago". Zane Grey

"The water you touch in a river is the last of that which has passed, and the first of that which is coming; thus it is with time". Leonardo DaVinci

Offline jay matthews

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2014, 04:52 PM »
fished silver in open water once, caught a few bass. I took a ride to try and fish there one year and was afraid i would get get run over by all the quads racing around!

Offline bowhunter095

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2014, 09:32 PM »
I have two spots on the pond that I go to every time I get on the ice. One of the spots you get a lot of small bass and crappie. The other is my catfish hole although last year they were non-existent the one day I got out. Let me know when you plan on going. I live right in town and I can never pass up a fishing opportunity.

Offline Jfishermann

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2014, 09:42 PM »
not going there this weekend, ice is no good yet, but my cousin lives in kensington so we might fish it later on

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.