Author Topic: Ugly stik gx2 ice rods, and Abu veritas ice rod review  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Workemup

• IceShanty Rookie
Just got these in today...

I sent the ugly stik gx2's back as soon as they hit my hands. These are not what i was expecting at all. I got the 28" med, and the 30" med hvy. The 28" med is comparable to a light or even ultra light power rod. Very whippy. The 30" med hvy is more like a medium light rod imo. The bend in it just looks funky. It bends at an abrupt right angle ,rather than a smooth continuous bend that blends into the power section of the rod. No blending here. Also huge clumps of glue/clearcoat on the guide supports. I wouldnt use these for walleye, but they may work decent for panfish. I just personally do not like them. On a side note, i do like the other ones they make. The ones with the black reel seat sliders. Specifically, the 2ft 6in model.

The Abu Garcia Veritas ice rods are exactly what i was looking for. I picked up the 28" med and could not be happier. I have a veritas rod for open water and i love it, so i figured i would give these a shot. Good decision!! Good power, good bend. If you did a bend test side by side with this rod, and the 28"med gx2, you would laugh. You would think a 5 year old made the gx2's. Somebody obviously didnt know what they were doing.  The grip on these veritas rods is also a favorite of mine, just like the open water version. Cant go wrong with these, and theres no doubt in my mind that these rods will catch on and become popular. Id put them up there with fenwick and jason mitchell.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Ugly stik gx2 ice rods, and Abu veritas ice rod review
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2013, 03:54 PM »
Thanks for your review. I own an Ugly Stick and it is a lot wimpier then I would think it should be. As for the Abu, I have been eying them for a while now. I think you made up my mind for me.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.