New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Whitney Point/Broome B/S thread 13/14  (Read 20909 times)

Offline itsbconnor

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Whitney Point/Broome B/S thread 13/14
« Reply #150 on: Feb 08, 2014, 02:55 PM »
So how did the derby go?  I've been stuck at work all day  >:(

Offline trigger1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #151 on: Feb 08, 2014, 03:44 PM »
          Fished by the big island 6hours not a bite ! burr so cold my breakfast froze early should have gone with the fire water  :tipup:

Offline thinkin of ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #152 on: Feb 08, 2014, 08:20 PM »
          Fished by the big island 6hours not a bite ! burr so cold my breakfast froze early should have gone with the fire water  :tipup:

-17 deg. this morning and no crappie! I loved eating my frozen PB & jelly sandwich! There were a few 15 min times which no crappie were measured.

Offline donc30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #153 on: Feb 09, 2014, 06:20 AM »
"Glad" >:( to hear all the similar reports..... I thought I was doing something wrong for 8 hours.  Lost one on tip up and no other bites in channel south of the islands. Tried every jig/bait combo I know of. Thank goodness for the announcer's sense of humor and perseverance. Ice cream anyone?  It's minus 2 out, sure won't melt.  According to him there were a couple of suckers caught over 20", I witnessed thousands of suckers all over the ice ;D! All in all a nice day to be out eating chili dogs along with some Miller Lites-(should it be Busch Lite Sporty?)

Offline FishtrappinNY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #154 on: Feb 09, 2014, 07:53 AM »
I fished all day near Jess and caught 3 bluegills and 1 small crappie. I had 2 slammers on but lost 'em lost near the hole. It was cold but Chuck ( the announcer) made the best of it.
My co-workers think I'm NUTS!

Offline snagger5000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #155 on: Feb 09, 2014, 10:19 AM »
Fished in the pond we caught 2 walleye, around 20 big gills, 1 perch, few small crappie. Went out at night till end of tournament. Only had 2 near death experiences when Mr. Buddy heaters burst into flames, 2 other Mr. Buddy heaters wouldn't work properly! Damn things!! Got a bit cold!! lol!!  But still had a great time with  my crew, and enjoyed talking many new friends! Big ups to everyone that helped put the derby together, great job!! But next time please don't set it all up on the pond where we all love to fish

Offline monkeyyboness

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kill it and grill it
« Reply #156 on: Feb 09, 2014, 01:38 PM »
I took biggest catfish and sucker. I found a mess load of suckers I got about 15 of them they do give a nice fight .i had my limit if walleye  and a few crappie.
If you ain't reading the menu your probably on it! Eat or be eaten

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #157 on: Feb 09, 2014, 06:00 PM »
We went over on Friday late afternoon with 3 snowblowers and cleared a 6-8 ft wide path from parking lot to middle of the lake to the left of boat ramp. We then cleared probably 1/2 to 3/4 acre spot to set up our gang.  (approx 20 people) After all that, the crappie didn't bite for any of us. That many people and we only landed like 4 fish total.  Saw a lot of folks using our pathways we cleared. Hope you all enjoyed using them. Sure made the drag a lot easier. Was a crappie day for crappie fishing but the time spent with friends was priceless.  ::) ::) :tipup:

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #158 on: Feb 10, 2014, 06:19 AM »
We went over on Friday late afternoon with 3 snowblowers and cleared a 6-8 ft wide path from parking lot to middle of the lake to the left of boat ramp. We then cleared probably 1/2 to 3/4 acre spot to set up our gang.  (approx 20 people) After all that, the crappie didn't bite for any of us. That many people and we only landed like 4 fish total.  Saw a lot of folks using our pathways we cleared. Hope you all enjoyed using them. Sure made the drag a lot easier. Was a crappie day for crappie fishing but the time spent with friends was priceless.  ::) ::) :tipup:

LOL people used our paths for a few min. then we drilled holes in them to set our tipups one group opted to keep going over the fresh wet slush they never made it 30 yards after there sleds were coated with frozen slush. I had one trap the flag didn't trip on it was spooled and broke off our group got a few small crappie, two keeper eyes and a few shorts. We all had a blast and I met a few more shanty members out there.
FYI Pressconnects has about 100 pics of the derby on the website.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline tigerwoodsmuskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #159 on: Feb 10, 2014, 01:23 PM »
I saw winning perch was 13 5/8" . Didn't know there were perch that big in WPR

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #160 on: Feb 10, 2014, 01:59 PM »
I saw winning perch was 13 5/8" . Didn't know there were perch that big in WPR
Yea and they had a pickeral that was around 22 inches. Didn't know they were in there either. ??? ???

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #161 on: Feb 10, 2014, 02:01 PM »
Hey Sporty. Don't you think we should do another ice shanty get together on the lake??? Mabe last weekend in Feb. before the Seebers one? :) ;)

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #162 on: Feb 11, 2014, 05:48 AM »
Hey Sporty. Don't you think we should do another ice shanty get together on the lake??? Maybe last weekend in Feb. before the Seebers one? :) ;)

I don't know I may be going up to the pro am on sodus. But don't let that stop you Sam should be able to set it up and I'm sure others would help. If my plans fall through I'll be there. This weekend I'm going to the otisco derby. I should have fished harder at the crappie derby I probably would have won something! This weekend is all business. :flex:
Thomas Harris

Offline jerrywwx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #163 on: Feb 11, 2014, 11:06 AM »
I want to thanks the folks that plowed all the paths for the derby. If it wasn't for them, I never would have made it to my favorite spot. Thanks Again!!! Did you notice how many of us old guys made it in that -13 degree morning? I hope they had as much fun as I did. My buddy won a 15 minute derby and that made my day.

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #164 on: Feb 11, 2014, 11:38 AM »
Hey Sporty. I looked on the press website and can't find the pictures. Am I just missing them or did they remove them ?   ??? ???

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #165 on: Feb 11, 2014, 12:05 PM »
Hey Sporty. I looked on the press website and can't find the pictures. Am I just missing them or did they remove them ?   ??? ???

They didnt make them easy to find.

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=CB&Dato=20140208&Kategori=SPORTS&Lopenr=302080020&Ref=PH
Thomas Harris

Offline SN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #166 on: Feb 11, 2014, 01:43 PM »
Hey NYSPORTY,

Did your tipup have dark green dacron?  I "caught" a line that had a very large pike connected to it via a small treble hook.  Lost the pike at the hole.....pulled the line in looking around for the "flag"  never saw it.  pulled about 100 feet of line.  I wonder how long that fish was swimming around!!! LOL

SN

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #167 on: Feb 11, 2014, 01:50 PM »
Hey NYSPORTY,

Did your tipup have dark green dacron?  I "caught" a line that had a very large pike connected to it via a small treble hook.  Lost the pike at the hole.....pulled the line in looking around for the "flag"  never saw it.  pulled about 100 feet of line.  I wonder how long that fish was swimming around!!! LOL

SN

Holy Sheet Yes. I got spooled and the flag never went off I was so mad I smashed that tipup I knew it had to be a big fish to break that line Sonofa  :%$#!: :%$#!: I'm going home and toss whats left of that tipup in the woodstove!
Thomas Harris

Offline SN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #168 on: Feb 11, 2014, 02:11 PM »
I was set up about 200 yds north of the judges stand.......too funny and that would have easily won the best pike pickerel prize.   :'(
SN

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #169 on: Feb 11, 2014, 06:50 PM »
They didnt make them easy to find.

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=CB&Dato=20140208&Kategori=SPORTS&Lopenr=302080020&Ref=PH
With your help, I found them.  Thanks.   We saw the news people nearby and tried to get their attention to show  them our huge snowblowed out area but they didn't see us.  :-\ :-\

Offline partyshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!!!!
« Reply #170 on: Feb 12, 2014, 08:20 AM »
Holy Sheet Yes. I got spooled and the flag never went off I was so mad I smashed that tipup I knew it had to be a big fish to break that line Sonofa  :%$#!: :%$#!: I'm going home and toss whats left of that tipup in the woodstove!

Now that's funny!! ;D ;D
Some say the glass is half empty, some say half full. The Irish will forever say "You gunna drink that?"

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #171 on: Feb 18, 2014, 06:32 AM »
Now that's funny!! ;D ;D

No it's not Pat! :P

Is anyone else going to the pro am on Sodus? Partyshanty and I will be up there stagering around in the slush!
Thomas Harris

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #172 on: Feb 25, 2014, 12:40 PM »
Well I never burned that tipup. I stuck some staples in her and had the flag popping good. I took it to the pro am on sodus. Partyshanty drilled 6 holes set his 5 tipups and I tossed it in the last open hole he said I could have and wouldn't you know it Bamm flag up line screaming a 20 min battle yielded a 10.4# pike that took 3rd place in the open division and a while later a 7.6# pike that did not place :flex:
Thanks again for the backup while fighting the fish Pat, we made a great team up there!
Lets see what we can do this weekend at seebers shall we?
Here are a few pics from the trip for you guys.

Thomas Harris

Offline partyshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!!!!
« Reply #173 on: Feb 25, 2014, 07:16 PM »
Not a problem my fishin brother!  ;) It was quite the time from the 5" of slush to the 30mph+ winds and having a little touch of the brown bottle flu! ; :roflmao: :roflmao: :sick: It was a great time and cant wait to do it again. Wheres the trophy pictures? Ya I say we go for broke and give it a whirl this weekend! Lets go for first this time!!
Some say the glass is half empty, some say half full. The Irish will forever say "You gunna drink that?"

Offline partyshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!!!!
« Reply #174 on: Feb 25, 2014, 07:31 PM »
Still want to see the fish that left the teeth marks on the fish in the top pic! Has to be huge! :o

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #175 on: Feb 26, 2014, 05:19 AM »
Allmost didn't recognize you Sporty without the beer can.  ;D ;D

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #176 on: Feb 26, 2014, 05:43 AM »

Ow its around there somewhere! I even sneaked a few in for the awards ceremony :P
Are we going to see you guys sat Al?
Thomas Harris

Offline partyshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!!!!
« Reply #177 on: Feb 26, 2014, 06:13 AM »
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: I told ya! Were gunna loose our Bush Light sponsor!! ;D

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #178 on: Feb 26, 2014, 06:17 AM »
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: I told ya! Were gunna loose our Bush Light sponsor!! ;D

Sonofa :%$#!:
Thomas Harris

Offline partyshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!!!!
« Reply #179 on: Feb 26, 2014, 06:33 AM »
Wanna hear something funny Al? We had to dump out all the beer out of the cooler, put the minnows in the cooler, and put the pike in his 7gallon bait bucket because the pike wouldn't fit in the cooler! Then the wind was blowing so hard it took the top of the minnow bucket on a 2hr tour. Got to the weigh-in at the end of the day, walking to my truck this kind soul shouted out "Hey you loose a bucket lid?" Sporty responded ya! We got it back! What are the chances! The sun was definitely shining on Sporty's butt this weekend!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.