Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2014  (Read 74103 times)

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2014
« Reply #510 on: Mar 14, 2014, 12:51 PM »
Yes there are a few that do.

On Thursday night, there is a cusk league that goes on on Newfound. Just for fun, organized by Troutfreak. Usually the same folks but at times there have been some special appearances by others.

I have yet to make it due to watching the grandson.

Some just go out randomly during the week to either check on houses or do some fishing too.

Offline ice fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #511 on: Mar 14, 2014, 02:21 PM »
Any suggestions as to where to go out from the state launch ? Should I go to deep water or stay shallow? Thanks  for your help Jiggin I fished it last week durning the day out of the state beach caught 2 small lakers . Realesed them both

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #512 on: Mar 14, 2014, 09:36 PM »
Any suggestions as to where to go out from the state launch ? Should I go to deep water or stay shallow? Thanks  for your help Jiggin I fished it last week durning the day out of the state beach caught 2 small lakers . Realesed them both
Not sure if you know or not?
You may want to check the regs to find out which species you can pursue at night and which you can't?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #513 on: Mar 15, 2014, 07:22 PM »
Not sure if you know or not?
You may want to check the regs to find out which species you can pursue at night and which you can't?

Jigging for cusk at night is fine.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #514 on: Mar 15, 2014, 07:40 PM »
03/15/2014

Another great day weatherwise. Overcast at times, sunny out, slight winds and 43F.

We decided to take the snowmobile out today knowing that in the afternoon it will have soften up the snow / ice. Some water on the ice and the snow is melting fast. Flatten out the rough spots which made travel pretty good.

CH now realizes that you got to get up early to get the early bite and got up at 4:15am pushing me to get up and ready to go.

We were able to get set up in no time and get some sucker meat filleted out. As soon as she put her pink and purple bucktail down, I look over and she's yanking one up. "Look" she said, "I was fishing blind"....ie: no camera. Just shook my head.
Then she managed to pull up another telling me I should switch from a gold kastmaster to something pink or purple. She passed me her purple pimple and I sent it down with some cut sucker meat. Sure enough, next thing you know,  I was yanking one up. "Told you" she said. Again, I just shook my head.

She lost another 2 so I got my punches in.....not shaking my head but smiling instead. :) My moment wouldn't last long as she got 2 more lakers ending the day with 4.
It was funny, I was visiting with Psycho and Scruffy, they came over and we were outside. The bobhouse door happen to blow open and I look and there's CH jigging my stick in my hole and her's in her hole at the same time. The door swings close and next thing I hear is her yelling as she's pulling one up. She said she saw my line moving and went to set the hook but the laker spit it out and started to swim away. She went back to her jig as my bait was messed up, and high jerked the laker to come back. Then set the hook. All proud of herself.......not bad Ch, not bad.

So now, she is caught up to me for the season. I was ahead but now tied with her. Tomorrows another day to gain my lead again.

Here's some pics from today.

Our cut bait for the day and chum

CH laker # 1

CH laker # 2

CH laker # 3

CH laker # 4

My Laker using CH's purple pimple and cut sucker

Mason with a nice rainbow! Way to go Mason!!

Offline justatrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #515 on: Mar 16, 2014, 06:51 AM »
nice pics great job CH  , awesome job Mason :clap:

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #516 on: Mar 16, 2014, 07:46 AM »
We had planned to take the shack off Saturday but........We had 7 helpers as of Friday but by Saturday am it was just Bobhouse Bull and I. Red hurt his back, one went to work, 2 ended up with family commitments, and one MIA. Fished instead but came up with the skunk again. I did loose 1 jigging. Going to try to take the house off again sometime this week. The weather was great till "someone" mentioned it and then the howling winds came. Tried to talk on the radio but couldn't be heard. Did not see another ice fisherman the entire day. Strangely quiet on The Dark Side.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #517 on: Mar 17, 2014, 05:15 AM »
03/16/2014

CH got up early early today again. All raring to go to see if she could pull ahead of me in terms of season quantity of lakers. She tied it up with me as of Saturday for the season.

So after packing all our stuff into the truck, we're off. Pulled into Wellington State park (its still very dark out) with a dusting of snow in the parking lot.

I went back and dropped the ramp on the trailer and walked back to the truck to give CH my keys. When I went back to the rear of the trailer, I slipped on some ice on the cement and landed hard on my right shoulder dislocating it. Thought I was gonna pass out and puke. Poor CH didn't know what to do till I could pull myself together. Felt bad for her.

Luckily Bearbait pulled in after a while and was able to close my trailer ramp so we could leave. Thanks Bearbait for the help!

CH ended up driving my truck and trailer (backing up the trailer at the house, took several tries but she got it, her first time) and drove me to the hospital so they could re-set my shoulder and found a hair line crack in my collar bone. Worse pain I've felt (my bad shoulder to start with).

Needless to say, she never got a chance to surpass me today but she came through for me instead. Felt bad she didn't get to go fishing after all her enthusiasm of getting out there early as we are nearing the end of the Laker season.

No pics today.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #518 on: Mar 17, 2014, 05:37 AM »
OUCH!!   I know how you feel, a few years back I was playing lacrosse and got hit driving my shoulder into the ground separating my acromial ligament ( It's the ligament that holds down your clavicle) I knew something was wrong when I felt an overly sized lump on my shoulder ..... Went through about 12 weeks of rehab.
Get well soon JIGGIN
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #519 on: Mar 17, 2014, 05:57 AM »
Sorry to hear about the injury Jiggin  :-\ Hope You're on the mend and feeling better soon.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #520 on: Mar 17, 2014, 06:49 AM »
Jiggin that sucks. Sounds like CH came through for you. Is it your jigging shoulder? Hope you get well soon.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #521 on: Mar 17, 2014, 06:52 AM »
We had planned to take the shack off Saturday but........We had 7 helpers as of Friday but by Saturday am it was just Bobhouse Bull and I. Red hurt his back, one went to work, 2 ended up with family commitments, and one MIA. Fished instead but came up with the skunk again. I did loose 1 jigging. Going to try to take the house off again sometime this week. The weather was great till "someone" mentioned it and then the howling winds came. Tried to talk on the radio but couldn't be heard. Did not see another ice fisherman the entire day. Strangely quiet on The Dark Side.

Sorry we didn't hook up. Too bad you didn't get the house off the ice. That wind was definately brutall all weekend.

Offline justatrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #522 on: Mar 17, 2014, 06:53 AM »
Hope you heal and feeling better soon . that is a painful injury

Offline Riverat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Our Winter Home on the Lake.
« Reply #523 on: Mar 17, 2014, 06:57 AM »
Sorry to hear about your shoulder, in our younger days we would get up from a fall and shake it off but nowadays it's hard just to get up. My last fall on the ice was two years ago and I am still suffering from the effects of that one. I was walking to the back of the truck to get my Stabilicers out. Now I put them on at home before I leave, though I hate driving with them on, I remind myself of the consequences. I know CH will take good care of you, and try not to punch you in that arm.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #524 on: Mar 17, 2014, 07:09 AM »
03/16/2014

Needless to say, she never got a chance to surpass me today

Some people will do ANYTHING to stay in the lead.  ;)  Sorry to hear of your injury. If you need help with anything let me know. Way to go CH, not surprised that you would step up big time.

Offline backdraft

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #525 on: Mar 17, 2014, 11:01 AM »
Dam, that is just not right, Jiggin.  Sorry to read about your injury.  Good thing CH was on deck.  Now shake it off and get back in the game.  Its only a few broken bones and the dislocation is back in place, what's the problem!!!  Actually...yeah, see you on the liguid ice.  Good luck 

Offline FishEnticer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #526 on: Mar 17, 2014, 01:31 PM »
Too bad about the injury jigging.  Hope it heals well for you.  :(

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #527 on: Mar 17, 2014, 04:10 PM »
Sorry to hear that..I have been walking on one leg as well the last two weeks..get better soon
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #528 on: Mar 17, 2014, 08:10 PM »
Sorry to hear the news JIGGIN.    :(
Kudos to CH & BB for pulling through for you. No real surprise here, as the Circus is always looking out for other folks.
Hope CH doesn't take advantage of your down time.   ;)
Seems like it was extra slippery today! I lucked out in what could have been the same situation this forenoon. Got out of my truck just at light at a bait shop. My feet slid out from in front of me on the glare ice on pavement. Fortunately, my arse hit my step and than slid into or just under the truck beside me. It was more of a slide than an abrupt fall.
And yes, our old bones aren't as forgiving as they once were.

Offline Riverat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #529 on: Mar 18, 2014, 06:28 AM »
Hope your doing better today, Jiggin'

But just in case,

I got something to cheer you up.

They say Laughter is the best medicine,

well this should make you feel better.

remember things could be worse.

Offline cfinnegan

• IceShanty Rookie
  • For love of the Irish
« Reply #530 on: Mar 18, 2014, 08:04 AM »
Heading up to my house on NewFound this weekend. Is the ice still thick enough to fish? Is it worth bringing up my gear.
Thanks

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #531 on: Mar 18, 2014, 10:01 AM »
Heading up to my house on NewFound this weekend. Is the ice still thick enough to fish? Is it worth bringing up my gear.
Thanks

Plenty of ice. Def. bring the gear.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #532 on: Mar 18, 2014, 10:51 AM »
Hope your doing better today, Jiggin'

But just in case,

I got something to cheer you up.

They say Laughter is the best medicine,

well this should make you feel better.

remember things could be worse.

That is TOO FUNNY!!!

Thanks River Rat for the laugh....I definitely needed it.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #533 on: Mar 18, 2014, 10:52 AM »
Thanks everyone for the well wishes.

Yup, I'd do anything to keep my manhood from being taken away from my wife......sorry CH but your not gonna beat me this year, even if I have to break something else on me.

Offline cfinnegan

• IceShanty Rookie
  • For love of the Irish
« Reply #534 on: Mar 18, 2014, 12:06 PM »
Plenty of ice. Def. bring the gear.

Music to my ears.  Thanks Capt.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #535 on: Mar 18, 2014, 02:50 PM »
As of last Saturday, there was 23"+ of ice at my bobhouse.

Plenty of ice for wheelers / snowmobiles.

I believe the entire lake is pretty safe with thick ice, but as always be careful and check as you go.

Offline Riverat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #536 on: Mar 20, 2014, 10:27 AM »
BigJim and myself were thinking of maybe fishing newfound this Saturday, have never fished it before and since we have no shelter or means of transport for the ice we were thinking of going on where the get-together was at Wellington. With the new snow and all, I am thinking there should be some packed down snowmobile trails to walk on and go out 1 to 2 hundred yards and set up. Maybe 1 tip up and 1 jig rod each and a couple chairs. any suggestions?

Offline Fishfinder81

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good luck to anyone who wets a line
« Reply #537 on: Mar 20, 2014, 10:33 AM »
Awesome! Chasingflags and I will be there dropping cusk lines around 2:00. Obviously we r also putting some tipups down. Hope to see u guys if you're still there by then.
Tight lines to all!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #538 on: Mar 20, 2014, 11:19 AM »
BigJim and myself were thinking of maybe fishing newfound this Saturday, have never fished it before and since we have no shelter or means of transport for the ice we were thinking of going on where the get-together was at Wellington. With the new snow and all, I am thinking there should be some packed down snowmobile trails to walk on and go out 1 to 2 hundred yards and set up. Maybe 1 tip up and 1 jig rod each and a couple chairs. any suggestions?

I'm sure there will be some packed trails via snowmobiles. I'm taking mine Saturday from Wellington, from there I drive to Jonesy and Ladybugs house (check on it) and then across the lake to my bobhouse. I believe Ladybug and Jonesy are in 40fow for a reference. It may be slushy with the warm weather so rubber boots are probably a must.

Check the map of that area cause if you were to walk out straight from Wellington boat launch, or stay to the right, it stays shallow for a very long distance.
Going from the launch and turning left (North) it drops off fairly quickly, shorter walk.

Good luck and holler out on 5.5 when you guys get out there!

Offline Fishfinder81

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good luck to anyone who wets a line
« Reply #539 on: Mar 20, 2014, 01:08 PM »
That's exactly where we r headed off the launch and to the leftim grabbin my radio tomorrow ill be sure to say hi
Tight lines to all!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.