Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2014  (Read 74175 times)

Offline chasingflags

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2014
« Reply #480 on: Mar 03, 2014, 02:49 PM »
Thats the plan as of now is to come up on the 22nd in the afternoon and fish for a bit and then check the cusk lines in the morning.  That cusk we caught on saturday was some tasty last night.  By far the best freshwater fish Ive had.  Looking forward to trying to get some more.
gbp on myfishfinder

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #481 on: Mar 03, 2014, 03:50 PM »
Keep in mind, Fishfinder81, you will need a radio handle. The problem is that we already have a Fishfinder on Newfound, so you'll need another one. Jiggin usually has some suggestions of names that aren't taken, but you'd be wise to come up with your own.  ;)

Bucktail, Bufftail, Shinertail.....that man has plenty of nicknames now lol.
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline chasingflags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #482 on: Mar 03, 2014, 04:18 PM »
Well first off we are gonna have to get a radio.  We heard none of the circus banter when we were up there on saturday.  What channel are you guys on?
gbp on myfishfinder

Offline Hounded819

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #483 on: Mar 03, 2014, 04:58 PM »
This is killing me. I spent one day fishing there and now it's all I can think about. Can't wait for sat il be there with radio in hand and hoping to land one this time

Offline Fishfinder81

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good luck to anyone who wets a line
« Reply #484 on: Mar 03, 2014, 05:10 PM »
Ya we will be getting a radio. If I'm not mistaken the channel desired is 5.5. I will have a handle of my own maybe neighbor guy, as u have dubbed me before I had an IS username. Either way it is one fun time up there i would come up every weekend if i could
Tight lines to all!

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #485 on: Mar 04, 2014, 06:33 AM »
Bucktail, Bufftail, Shinertail.....that man has plenty of nicknames now lol.

Definitely going to be the BUTT of many jokes now.  ;)

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #486 on: Mar 04, 2014, 06:54 AM »

Aye Captain. Put him on the plank and he will come up with a handle very quick.

Offline Fishfinder81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #487 on: Mar 04, 2014, 08:19 AM »
Oh ill come up with my own handle. I can only imagine what id be asking for with a name like bufftail. Ive already got some good ideas. Anybody have suggestions on brand radio and where to purchase I'm on a tight budget
Tight lines to all!

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #488 on: Mar 04, 2014, 09:15 AM »
allllsooooo.....bucktail fished today...did well....got a laker and a yellow perch on his tipups...but never could find his shiner....lol
(Image removed from quote.)

He already has a handle but this is the post Guinea and I were referring to.    :woot:   :angel

Offline Fishfinder81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #489 on: Mar 04, 2014, 10:01 AM »
Oh ya i see what u guys are talking about now lol. At least it wasn't a gerbil.
Tight lines to all!

Offline ice fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #490 on: Mar 04, 2014, 01:02 PM »
Is state park the place  to park ? Is it plowed ? Thank you for help

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #491 on: Mar 04, 2014, 03:11 PM »
It was great finally making it the circus. It is quite The Show. You never know what you will hear on channel 5.5. That was a great place to have the get together. Meet some great people and had some good conversations.

I couldn't agree more, the banter had me laughing in my flip-over - hell that is what must have scared all the fish away from my bait.  I didn't chime in, but enjoyed listening and will certainly be back - and next time I'll be sure to chime in, and hope to be welcomed to the board.

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #492 on: Mar 04, 2014, 04:42 PM »
Yes, Ice Fisher, the State Park is plowed, but at the beach access and the boat launch.

There is also parking at Cummings Beach, and at the foot of the lake by the Big Catch.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #493 on: Mar 08, 2014, 07:07 PM »
03/08/2014

CH got up early with me and we hit the lake. She helped me get set up and got our gear down in no time. All our chum was gone from last weekend so we decided to chum her hole. Dropped the chum pot down and popped it right over her pink and purple jig (tipped with a red fin shiner). After she pulled up the chum pot, immediately a laker came in and hit her jig....20" laker. I just sat there shaking my head.

We saw quite a few lakers today after that but none would commit to the hook. First they want it moving, then not, then moving again but would not commit to taking the hook. Frustrating.

Weather was nice in the morning, no wind and warm. Then the winds picked up as usual. Manage to cook a few cheddar burgers on the grill for lunch then went over and visited Capt. Black, Red and Bobhouse Bull. Great to see the guys on the dark side. A lot of laughs and good stories. Always fun going over to the dark side.

Butterfly ended up with one and I believe Bear Cub ruled the board today....Great job Bear Cub! For a while there I was thinking it was going to be another Women of the Circus day...till Bear Cub put a stop to the estrogen surge.

Nice to see Hounded out there today too....great guy. Stopped by for a visit today. Looking forward to fishing with him later this season.
Gray Wolf and Daughter stopped out today too and visited. I hope she enjoyed herself and perhaps a different perspective to ice fishing after hanging out in the house for a bit. Nice young lady.

Ice conditions were good for either ATV or Snowmobile today. Better in the afternoon for snowmobiles. Snow is starting to melt giving plenty of lubrication for sliders.
Plenty of ice still, almost bottomed out the auger drilling out the holes in the house.
Boat launch is full of ruts making it slow going getting out of that area.

Tomorrows another day and hopefully better fishing. (catching). Pics will be posted up soon....

CH's laker using a pink and purple bucktail and redfin shiner

Butterfly showing us guys what they look like....

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #494 on: Mar 08, 2014, 07:18 PM »
Finally getting around to posting up some other pics

Duck Doctor with a laker.....

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #495 on: Mar 08, 2014, 07:22 PM »
More of CH's laker with that Pink and Purple bucktail...with sucker meat.

Another one....

And yet another....wish she would let me get some...

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #496 on: Mar 08, 2014, 07:25 PM »
Tippin's dog...Please dude, take your dog home and shut him up!!!! (not really his dog but it did bite him so I believe it makes it Tippin's dog)

Offline backdraft

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #497 on: Mar 09, 2014, 12:29 PM »
You may want to keep an eye on tippin, I heard that dog was rabid.  And he was doing so good at staying injury free this ice season.  Just bad luck.....

Offline Hounded819

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #498 on: Mar 09, 2014, 12:34 PM »
Spend most of the day down with the circus crew. Made one set up and put the camera down and didn't like the look of it huge rock walls so I moved across the lake in some shallower water. Wasn't there 10 min and had a flag. Missed that fish twice. I don't know how many small fish I saw on camera. Just couldn't get any to bite. As always it was good to see you tippin, laker taker and jigging and ch. now that I have a little idea of the watt there I'm deff going back.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #499 on: Mar 09, 2014, 05:20 PM »
03/09/2014

Again CH got up early with me and we headed out....then remembered we're actually an hour late as we forgot to set our clocks ahead last night.

Got set up in no time with 2 of us. We only saw very few lakers in the morning and then nothing from 11 am to 2:30 pm when I yanked up an 18" laker. Slooooooowwwww day. Packed it in early.

Had bacon for breakfast and later cooked beef stroganoff....our first and came out really good. Added some cooked stew meat with garlic salt. Sure we're gonna do something like this again next weekend.

Fed an osprey a sucker carcass, chucked it out onto the ice and watch it swoop in and pick it up....forgot to get it on gopro....

Nice quiet day today but good to hear everyone on the radio. Could of taken a nap but was too busy trying to get the lakers to come in. Might bounce the house one night this week.

Saw Backdraft at the launch and gave him his raffle winnings from the IS gathering. He was siked he won.

My laker for the day.....sloooowwww

The bait, cut sucker meat...didn't use much today.

The gurls....giving it hell while still having fun.

And of course, Tippin's dog.

Offline Rando5512

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather go fishin'!
« Reply #500 on: Mar 09, 2014, 05:34 PM »
Looks like the Circus has a mascot?

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #501 on: Mar 09, 2014, 05:47 PM »
Jiggin, you were right; Ladybug got cut out in that pic! It looked better on her phone. I look inbred. Thanks for posting lol.  ;)

I vacationed in Bristol this weekend. Friday night I crashed at Frog's and had venison dinner with him and Grinnin. It was funny to talk to Jiggin on the radio from his livingroom before we got out there!
We got a late start; Frog errands first, then we loaded up my porty on the back of his wheeler to do some cruising around.
 We set up in Pike's first. Rainbows, he said. They'll be jumping out of the holes, he said. Yeah, okay, Frog, can we go to my spot now?

Made a couple of stops to depth find, and found a 40' to 7' within 60 yards of each other. The auger wasn't being dependable, so I didn't find the exact point of the big drop. I GPS'ed a spot in between both to figure out later. It was the first time I used the GPS to mark a fishing spot. It's a long walk from any access, though, so not sure when I can try it again.
Frog, being the Hardside Sally that he is (I told him to his face! lol) was chilly in the portable and wanted to go home. Hey, he's the one who said not to bother bringing the heater and tank! So I got him home so he could soak in a nice warm bubblebath with a Harlequin romance novel.  ;D

Saturday night I spent at Ladybug and Jonesy's, so L.B. and I headed out to her house with the camera today. We saw a total of 3; she lost the first 2, and the 3rd was just being a jerk and swimming around us for about 1/2 hour but not touching us; diving towards us and then flipping us the fin. Big tease! So we left early to take advantage of the daylight and get mundane adult things done....the joys of home ownership.  ::)

So how about that crazy forecast on the Plymouth radio station? The guy was calling for -10 for the next couple of nights and teens during the days! The AP must have sent him the Minnesota weather report!

I almost forgot to add the most exciting part of my Sunday; I managed to jig up Ladybug's lost bucktail with a magnet tied to my bucktail....well, I caught something lol.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #502 on: Mar 10, 2014, 12:09 PM »
Guinea, I thought that was a cute pic of you gurls. Was pretty sunny in the bobhouse. Having a clear roof make seeing on the camera difficult?

Funny too, talking to you from Frog's couch. He can holler out to us and get a report whether it's worth coming out or not or find out conditions prior to leaving his house....nice feature. He must of heard us talking on Sunday so that why he was a no show perhaps.

Way to show up Frog too, once you get used to a hard side, it's hard to go back to open ice. Especially one like his with all that room.

Nice work jigging up Ladybug's bucktail, I'm sure you both got a laugh outta that.

Sunday was a tough day of fishing, I jigged my arm off trying to call them in with little to no luck using a 1oz kastmaster. I was going to put on a # 9 gold pimple but was afraid to get it hung up in my camera cable.

Get ready for the upcoming snow storm.....we'll see what that does to the conditions out there.

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #503 on: Mar 10, 2014, 03:38 PM »
thanks for looking after the dog this weekend while i was away jiggin....went to lake winni with bucktail at levitt beach, and it was very slow !!
poked about 8 holes in the ice in different spots and all we saw were rocks...found a spot that had less rocks and decided to fish there.
first thing we saw was a nice size cusk. it hung around for about a 1/2 hour...then around lunch i think... a trout came in and checked
out bucktails jig...then swam over to mine.....and put it in its mouth...then it was on like donkey kong.....it was a long day but we had
fun taking the circus on the road..

ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #504 on: Mar 10, 2014, 06:21 PM »

HEY HOW DO YOU TURN A SHINER INTO A SMELT ????

allllsooooo.....bucktail fished today...did well....got a laker and a yellow perch on his tipups...but never could find his shiner....lol
(Image removed from quote.)

Offline Fishfinder81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #505 on: Mar 10, 2014, 06:53 PM »
Lol. Ya that'll about do it. Cant wait to get up there on the 22nd for some smelt seasoned with butt lint.
Tight lines to all!

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #506 on: Mar 11, 2014, 10:10 AM »
Jiggin, I'm sure it would be easier to see with a darkened roof (we talked about having a curtain that you could just pin across) but it's still fairly easy to see.

I have a hard time going inside on a sunny day, so I'm more willing to fish in their house because it doesn't feel so enclosed with the plexi roof.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #507 on: Mar 11, 2014, 10:34 AM »
That's good to hear. I'm very curious about that camera Ladybug bought. Seems to be an incredible deal. Glad you both are enjoying it. So far the word on the camera is been really good. That's very encouraging.

Your defiantly hard core Guinea. Must of felt great with the sun beaming down on you both while inside the house.....getting a tan while fishing inside. Nice! Like your own tanning booth.....ummmmm......

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #508 on: Mar 12, 2014, 05:08 PM »
So a few pages back, I said I would post up a video of how to tie your bobhouse down tight to the ice....

Finally got around to doing a video for those that asked.

Pretty simple and effective. All you need is a small auger, I use a hand Nils 4.5". Ratchet strap. Some good rope. Some tie down sticks, I use 2x4" ripped in half. I usually use 8" - 12" long to be sure to cover the hole in case it opens up during warm weather, a chisel and a knife.

Cut small hole.
Tie rope to tie down sticks.
Shove into hole using a chisel so it goes below the ice and pull to be sure it is secured.
Tie a loop on the end of the rope and cut off the excess.
Take a ratchet strap and put one end on the bolted eyelet on the house, the other end on the rope loop.
Cinch (ratchet down) tight to the ice.
Do all 4 corners at 45 degree angle off the corners.

Simple.

Not my house and sorry about the vertical video. Should of filmed via Gopro. My bad but you get the idea.

Good luck!

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Offline ice fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #509 on: Mar 14, 2014, 06:59 AM »
Hello All , do any of you fish the lake at night ? what do you catch ? Thank You for the help.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.