Author Topic: Cascade Help  (Read 4225 times)

Offline elkhunter1834

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cascade Help
« on: Dec 30, 2013, 08:21 PM »
Having a hard time catching fish at cascade. Fished Sat the 21st only caught 2 small perch in 4 hours. Would really appreciate some help. My son loves to go but would like to catch some fish. I am going back new years day and the Sat after. thanks

Offline jkbisgood

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Cascade Help
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2013, 12:34 AM »
I just came back from two day of fishing.  Did a lot of walking and hand drilling on Sunday and didn't catch a keeper.  Had a big trout break me off in the hole.  Started out by the island and walked around it trying depths of 20+ ft.  As we were walking out we passed a group that had some nice perch on the ice so today we  started there which was about half way out to the island.  Depth was less than 10 feet.  We caught several over 12 inches with the biggest just under 15.  Wish we would have tried there day one.  It was definitely an early bite and they only seemed to bite when the sun was out.

Offline elkhunter1834

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2013, 07:11 AM »
Thanks, I Will be there New Years Day and Sat. Hoping to catch some fish

idfishnhunt

« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2013, 10:08 AM »
Are you still able to walk out towards the island through the refuge area on the old road?  Curious as I will be on foot, and hoping I don't have to hoof it around from the parking lot.

Offline KozinKenny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2013, 10:28 AM »
We were out of Sugarloaf Saturday and Sunday. Ice was 10". Drove my ATV out with no Problems. Saturday we caught 13 Trout all nice and a few Jumbo Perch. Sunday was slower with 1 trout and 5 small Perch. Still a good day. The Ice felt comfortable with the exception of a large crack that went about 1/2 mile and seems to have lasted for 15 seconds. I lost one of my Favorite Rods. Must have been a Lunker Trout, two taps and "Wham" in the hole it went. I didn't have enough time to react. Oh well, I will just build another  :'(. Jan 1st I will be a Lake Lowell. Happy New Years to all.
"When an Ice Fisherman Freezes, another one thaws and takes his place."
~Patrick F. McManus~

Good Fish'n, Kenny

Offline Icehouse89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2013, 11:18 AM »
Just curious. For you guys catching trout are you doing anything different to target trout or is it just a surprise when one comes through the whole? I'm pretty new to ice fishing and was up at boulder cr a few weeks ago but only caught perch. Planning on going back up this weekend. Wanna catch some of those big trout  :o

Offline jkbisgood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2013, 11:51 AM »
The trout we caught were on the bottom.  Wish I would have had a gaf first day lost a lunker at the hole when he broke my line.  Built on out of a flag pole and 4/0 hook and P-cord from the local mart in cascade which helped out a lot day two getting them slippery fish onto the ice.  Worm seemed to work best

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2013, 12:52 PM »
Having a hard time catching fish at cascade. Fished Sat the 21st only caught 2 small perch in 4 hours. Would really appreciate some help. My son loves to go but would like to catch some fish. I am going back new years day and the Sat after. thanks

PM sent.

Offline KozinKenny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2013, 04:05 PM »
All of our Trout were also caught on the bottom. We used Nightcrawlers.  I did have one rod set about 7' below the ice with Crawler and Marshmellow, but I never got any hits within two hours so I went back to the Bottom. That was where they were feeding.  Small perch were suspended about two-three feet from the bottom. Weather was fantastic on Saturday, partly cloudy on Sunday. Good luck!
"When an Ice Fisherman Freezes, another one thaws and takes his place."
~Patrick F. McManus~

Good Fish'n, Kenny

Offline rickgehrke

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin lips
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2013, 04:16 PM »
We came home with about 60 lbs of trout. Blue Heron. About 1 foot off the bottom. Meat was very pink. Delicious. We cooked some in beer batter, pan fried, and baked.
Fish hard, or go home.

idfishnhunt

« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2013, 04:25 PM »
We came home with about 60 lbs of trout. Blue Heron. About 1 foot off the bottom. Meat was very pink. Delicious. We cooked some in beer batter, pan fried, and baked.

Is that all you caught at Blue Heron?  I've caught a few jumbo's down there before, as well as some salmon.

Offline rickgehrke

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin lips
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2013, 04:41 PM »
Surprised us too. Only rainbows. Lost at least 7 that broke us off. 7 lbs. was the largest.
Fish hard, or go home.

Offline Packernut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2013, 07:03 PM »
We fished Boulder Creek Saturday.  Only managed 3 keeper perch largest 12 1/2 inches in 6 hours.  Fished just out from the launch in 16 FOW.  Lost a few others for the 3 of us.  Fished Poison Creek Sunday prior to the Packer Game.  Temp was zero when we set lines around 7:30.  Fished out more in the middle near some other holes in 17 FOW.  Lost something right at the hole.  Bent my jig almost straight.  Fished for 3 hours and nothing kept.  Looking forward to getting back down in a few weeks as I live in Newman Lake, WA up North.  Fished Fernan up North Monday, ice was a solid 8 inches.  Bite was very light.  Kept one nice bow and had it for lunch.  Shoulders are very sore from drilling with my hand auger.  Looking at the Strikemaster at Cabela's for 319.00.  Comments seem pretty good.  If anyone has any thoughts on this auger or a better reasonable option, I would appreciate the feedback.   Tight lines.

Packernut

Offline Captdave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2014, 09:45 PM »
Hey Packernut, glad to meet you up there on the ramp Saturday. We left about 5pm and had 2 nice bows and a half dozen nice perch. Sunday was dedicated to game, (Me from Madison and wife Chicago so was not missing it). Anyway I have the Strikemaster magnum auger and I do not think you could go wrong with it. I love mine.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2014, 10:47 PM »
If you are having that much trouble with a foot of ice, your auger is dull. I use a 6 inch now, and drop down to a 4 inch when it gets thick, and keep them both sharp on a cardboard wheel sharpening setup I have at home. A friend uses an 8 inch, and he bought new blades last year, which were so sharp it was as easy as my 6 inch auger. Your auger blades should look like a scalpel to work as they should- no rust or nicks. If they don't you should sharpen them or buy new blades. If you have an 8 inch hand auger, you should get a smaller one for Cascade- 5 inch is about $45 shipped from Amazon.

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2014, 09:04 AM »
Brought home about 15 keepers yesterday and released 8-10 trout.

Fishing a worm, right on the bottom.

Offline zimmerman54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2014, 09:13 AM »
Fished the island the 31st.  Pretty slow, no keeper perch 30 or so little guys and a couple trout.  20 FOW. 
How deep were the trout at Blue Heron? Might try that this Sunday???

Offline rickgehrke

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin lips
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2014, 11:16 AM »
We fished Blue Heron right after Christmas. We fished in about 12-14 feet. I varied the depth of the bait from 2 feet below the ice to just off the bottom and everywhere in between. Trout were caught at all depths.
Fish hard, or go home.

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2014, 11:21 AM »
We fished Blue Heron right after Christmas. We fished in about 12-14 feet. I varied the depth of the bait from 2 feet below the ice to just off the bottom and everywhere in between. Trout were caught at all depths.

Did you get any Salmon?

Offline rickgehrke

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin lips
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2014, 01:31 PM »
We did not land one salmon. We broke 7 or more fish off, not sure what they were. Prob. trout.
Fish hard, or go home.

Offline elkhunter1834

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2014, 05:15 PM »
Fished off the point at the day use area north of Blue heron marina yesterday caught 9 trout smallest 17 inches biggest 22 inches had a few others. Hoping to get out sat afternoon.

Offline rickgehrke

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin lips
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2014, 05:28 PM »
Nice. The meat is nice and red too. Great eating.
Fish hard, or go home.

Offline Packernut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2014, 10:58 AM »
Capdave, Badger123,  thanks for the help and feedback.  Pulled the trigger at Cabelas on a Strikmaster.  Killer deal and got out the door under $300.  I saw a few posts for only using ethanol free gas.  I wanted to know is that is a must. 
My 6 inch Mora worked fine on Fernan when I got home.  Must have just been worn out drilling all those holes Saturday and Sunday.  Great Packer game Sunday at the local brew pub in McCall.  20 Packer fans and only 2 Bear fans.  Wish I could have pulled the trigger on tickets to the game in Green Bay as there actually were for sale to the general public. 
They are catching some very large trout out of Forth of July lake up north near Sprague Washington.  Perch are very small up north.  Tight lines everyone.

Packernut

Offline Captdave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2014, 08:00 PM »
Packernut, I always use ethanol free gas in my small engines. A must, I do not know. but after an outboard motor fuel pump, a 4 wheeler carb overhaul, motorcycle carb problems, and needing a new weedeater carb,  I have had a lot less problems since the switch. I believe that was the problem personally.

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2014, 10:21 PM »
Capdave, Badger123,  thanks for the help and feedback.  Pulled the trigger at Cabelas on a Strikmaster.  Killer deal and got out the door under $300.  I saw a few posts for only using ethanol free gas.  I wanted to know is that is a must. 
My 6 inch Mora worked fine on Fernan when I got home.  Must have just been worn out drilling all those holes Saturday and Sunday.  Great Packer game Sunday at the local brew pub in McCall.  20 Packer fans and only 2 Bear fans.  Wish I could have pulled the trigger on tickets to the game in Green Bay as there actually were for sale to the general public. 
They are catching some very large trout out of Forth of July lake up north near Sprague Washington.  Perch are very small up north.  Tight lines everyone.

Packernut

The fuel tank on my SM has a sticker that says no E85.  Not sure about ethanol, but I don't use it anyway.  You're gonna love the SM.  I have a 10" and was drilling next to my buddy yesterday with an Eskimo 8"(I think, bottom end Eskimo).  I drilled 2 holes to his one.  SM rocks!  Pretty sure Matt's next auger will me an SM too. :)

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2014, 11:01 PM »
The fuel tank on my SM has a sticker that says no E85.  Not sure about ethanol, but I don't use it anyway.  You're gonna love the SM.  I have a 10" and was drilling next to my buddy yesterday with an Eskimo 8"(I think, bottom end Eskimo).  I drilled 2 holes to his one.  SM rocks!  Pretty sure Matt's next auger will me an SM too. :)

either a SM or a the 51cc eskimo instead of my 33cc stingray, I think the mako is alittle better and that's a 41 cc I believe, i'm looking at upgrading.... anyone looking too buy a stingray?
Matt
Duck-Slayers new nickname is "DUD-switch".  Just for the record......  BITE ME

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 
2012 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2012 Cascade Ice Cup Derby winner - Perch
2013 Hard Water Classic winner - Perch
2013 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2014 Hard Water Classic 2nd - Perch

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2014, 11:06 PM »
No ETOH is preferred for sure, but in a pinch I usually do super at the pump with the blue (marine) stabil treatment.  Haven't had a problem in my 33cc stingray or my 15hp johnson or my 115 EPLT merc.  All older motors though.

idfishnhunt

« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2014, 11:28 PM »
I only put ethanol free mix in my Z71...sure it might get by with regular, but for the amount of money I paid for it I'll make the extra effort with keeping it in the best condition I can.  Since I started getting it for my auger I just end up using it on all my small engines.  It's worked pretty well so far, and worth the extra inconvenience to get it.

Offline Hamstn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2014, 01:20 PM »
I run nothing but the blend. I think it's only 10% ethanol. Buy in bulk so take and use what they deliver. Never any problems....knock on wood.

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2014, 02:21 PM »
I run nothing but the blend. I think it's only 10% ethanol. Buy in bulk so take and use what they deliver. Never any problems....knock on wood.

Buying in bulk from Gran-Del?  Of so, that is ethanol free gas.  That's exactly what I use.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.