Author Topic: Line twisting up on cross traps  (Read 1869 times)

Offline ddlpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
Line twisting up on cross traps
« on: Dec 30, 2013, 08:06 PM »
I bought some cross traps last year, and have been using then exclusively.  My previous tipups had a little knob to "reel" the line back in.  I've noticed since using the crosses, my line twists like crazy coming off the spool, which I have since concluded it was because I have been tightening the spool, and re spooling with my hand.  So my stupid question.....how do other people get the line back on?   

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Re: Line twisting up on cross traps
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2013, 08:32 AM »
I have always have a barrel swivel between the tip up line(Dacron) and the leader. With that said, I have never had the line twisting on my tip ups. I have always hand wound the line on my tip ups also, even with the Heritages which have the spool knob for reeling the line on.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Derik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2013, 09:28 AM »
I've never had a problem with line twisting, I also use a barrel swivel to connect leader to the tip-up line. 

Offline ddlpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2013, 04:28 PM »
I have a barrel swivel connecting the tipup line to the leader.  When I'm pulling a fish in, the tipup line starts twisting, and takes me a while to untangle it.  Never had this problem before, thought maybe it was because I was hand winding.....,,

Offline Mricefish20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2014, 05:36 AM »
X4 for the barrel swivel

Offline pimplejigger84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2014, 06:15 PM »
X5!

Offline ddlpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2014, 06:43 PM »
I use a swivel already!!!!!!! Lol

Offline Derik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2014, 07:01 PM »
What kind of line is your tip up line, is there memory in the line?  On my traps I sometimes use the knob to reel in the line but most of the time I just wrap it up by hand, either way I have never seen it twisting. 

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2014, 05:46 AM »
I dont use swivels and hand reel my stick TU's, and never have a problem.  Was your line twisted when you first put it on?
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline pimplejigger84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2014, 08:08 PM »
Yeah, really curious what kind of line you have on there because conventional tip-up line is pretty soft and even if it is twisted, like braided line it doesn't really make much of a difference. Is it making your bait spin?

Offline ddlpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2014, 08:02 AM »
It's just a generic 30# dacron line.  *cough* kite string. 

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2014, 04:44 PM »
I have a question on the x type tipups, tipup like beverdam have a horizonal spool and a guide for a line to run through. How does the cross type tipups keep the line from unspooling off the side of the reel?
Gator Nation

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2014, 07:58 PM »
Ive had this issue with my tip ups too. I use Mason and Woodstock brand with a barrel swivel. Its not cause the bait to spin but when I land a fish I end up with a bunch of twisted loops the tend to get tangled.

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2014, 09:37 PM »
To answer the question on how it keeps the line from spooling off the side, it does not. When the ice is thicker, it guides the line down, and it isn't a problem. I have not tried one with less than 12" of ice yet, but I can see problems. As far as line coils, I would just avoid coated lines. Its the coating that keeps the memory of the spool and it winds up on the ice. Regular dacron just lays flat.
-Tom

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2014, 07:08 AM »
Thank you. I always wondered about that. I want to try one some time maybe I will build one. Make a line guide straight out the bottom.
Gator Nation

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:08 AM »
I have thought about putting a guide on mine. One of the things I like about them is you can have a long leader wound up on the spool. With a guide I'm worried it will catch when getting pulled out. I figure I'll just use standard tip ups when the ice is thinner. It wouldn't be hard to make one. Whatever you use, make the loop that the line runs through plenty big.
-Tom

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Whoa black crappie bam da lam
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2014, 01:38 PM »
Ha, touché! The line does spill over the side of the spool of those tip ups some times.ive checked tip ups or have been pullin them to leave for the day, and have had fish on, sometimes almost spoolin it...fish more in shallow(-4fow) and it will happen...tight lines!
Catch And Release  Pike And Muskie!!!

Offline GooseBay Hippie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 23, 2014, 02:09 PM »
I never use the reel handle. Just a PITA.Never had a problem with line twisting in 27 years of drilling holes. Kite string seems to be the issue. Also make sure you don't grip the line when wrapping the line, just use your fingers to guide it, don't pinch or grip the line when wrapping.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.