The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: GF bought me a LX-5  (Read 1065 times)

Offline ColdHole

• Team IceShanty Regular
GF bought me a LX-5
« on: Dec 30, 2013, 10:21 AM »
So I'm spoiled and unwrapped a LX-5 for xmas.  I have many years under my belt fishing but this thing is incredible! I learned more about fish in one day than I have in a season on the ice. Any tips for use other than the obvious ones? I found it helpful to bring it to a tipup flag and check to see if the fish was still under the split shot or had dropped the bait and was thinking about coming back......I had a pike that had tripped the flag and dropped the minnow but was still on screen, after about 2-3 minutes he came back and nailed it again.  I'd have missed that fish without the flasher.

Offline Pastor B

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: GF bought me a LX-5
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2013, 10:27 AM »
I love my LX5!  If I had to choose one piece of advice... It would be to protect the transducer cable!  Fish wrap in it and the line will eventually cut the protective coat.  Bring it in very night to let it thaw out, and dry it before going back out!  My transducer froze to the unit one morning and it took me forever to thaw it enough to use it! I have had mine for one season and it has brought me more fish than any other single purchase I have ever made!  Take care foot and it will sure take care of you!
Play hard!  Pray hard!

Offline shawdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2013, 10:46 AM »
GOOD WOMAN!!!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2013, 10:50 AM »
That is awesome!! Pretty soon you will be able to tell what's down there by how they show up on the screen and behave on screen:):)

Offline tfdoke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2013, 10:58 AM »
Best ice fishing equipment I ever purchased!  Make sure to play around with the zoom mode, narrow beam mode and super fine line mode to tune it in to just how you want it for a given hole.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2013, 11:07 AM »
I've painted the last couple inches of my
Transducer cable with plasti-dip. I've been thinking that the shrink wrap tubing your heat up so it shrinks may be a good protective step as well. Any thought anyone?

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2013, 11:21 AM »
She's a keeper!

Just burned my Cabela's points and expect my LX-5 to arrive this week.   ;D
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline gregv17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2013, 12:22 PM »
Nice!!! Got an LX-5 a couple years ago,. Best ice fishing tool I have ever used.
Good idea with that Plasti-dip on the cable. I would be leery of too much heat with the shrink tube.

Offline tfdoke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2013, 01:10 PM »
I was actually watching some youtube videos about the marcum last night and they recommend fully charging the battery after every use if you can to keep the battery life/performance at its best.

Offline ColdHole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2013, 01:35 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys! I will make sure to take care of that cable.  I already had the cone freeze down on me and was thinking about drilling a weep hole in the bottom of the holder to drain excess water.  Yup, she's a keeper.  Knows her way around a camp, hunts, fishes, bowhunts, can drink beer/whiskey and hold her own in bawdy conversations with my outdoor buddies.  Downside is when she's in our lil' aluminum fishing boat wearing a bikini and cowboy hat our spot is always the place to fish, upside is she can always get good information! LOL

Offline MontanaTom79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2013, 01:39 PM »
that's a good lady friend there! She is a keeper! lol I'm still waiting to get my first electronic! Maybe Santa will bring me one next year if I'm a good boy!
Tight Lines... Team rippin' n lips

Offline nedwreck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2014, 07:56 AM »
Coldhole:  I'll trade ya.
While fishing, the only time I drink is when I'm alone or with somebody.

Offline ColdHole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2014, 08:14 PM »
Lol! Can she cook?? :)

Offline UncleFarm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2014, 09:05 PM »

hahaha! Reminds me of a joke-
A guy walks into a bar with a little puppy.
 Bartender says "Cute puppy, there.." 
Guy says "Thanks. I got it for my wife."
Bartender says "Good Trade."
:tipup: Helena Hand-Auger :tipup:

Offline hagfan72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2014, 09:06 PM »
Can't wait to get MY new LX-5 out on the ice.  It'll be my first time ever fishing with any sort of electronics.

Offline ColdHole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2014, 09:43 PM »
Nice! And Hag, we will be a couple flasher rookies at Peck in a couple weeks.  Definitely a game changer, but I did notice that it kept me so busy I forgot to crack a beer until almost noon last weekend.....not sure if that's good or not!!  We are thinking about having a little contest for the biggest fish, best bbq, fastest auger, bikini contest, etc on that weekend, winner take home a new rod or some Crown Royal.  Not quite sure which to do yet....

Offline hagfan72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2014, 09:47 PM »
Count me out of the bikini contest, as I have put on a LOT of weight this winter.

Offline ColdHole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2014, 09:55 PM »
I made a solemn oath that if I caught a 10lb walleye or bigger that I'd put one on........didn't say where.....so it's going over my Carhartt's!!

Offline hagfan72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2014, 10:03 PM »
.....so it's going over my Carhartt's!!

Thank you, Lord!!! ;D ;D

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2014, 10:41 PM »
another bit of advice, dont force the cable stop up or down the cable...that can stretch and break the inner wires. Be patient and loosen it a bit before adjusting it on the cable.
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline hagfan72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2014, 10:43 PM »
another bit of advice, dont force the cable stop up or down the cable...that can stretch and break the inner wires. Be patient and loosen it a bit before adjusting it on the cable.

Good to know!  Thanks

Offline poutpro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2014, 06:20 PM »
Lucky guy to get that.  I got a some new jigs...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.