Author Topic: buddy heater wont light  (Read 3307 times)

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
buddy heater wont light
« on: Dec 30, 2013, 05:07 AM »
Hey fellas, I was using my buddy heater the other day worked all morning than I shut it off to make a move and couldn't get it fired back up. I have it on a 20lb tank with a filter and a 5 ft hose (all mr heater parts).. Any ideas why it wont start up again?! where do I start?
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline motorfixer1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: buddy heater wont light
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2013, 05:14 AM »
I found myself in a similar situation the other day. I held down the pilot button for about 30 seconds (with no flame lit in the pilot hole) and used a lighter to manually light the pilot and get the heater going.

Offline Jiggin-Johnny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2013, 06:27 AM »
The most important question.  Are you out of propane?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2013, 06:36 AM »
There is a technique on cleaning the Buddy heaters. Using a Q-tip and Alcohol and a can of air. Pull off tip of the Q-tip so it will fit in the pilot hole. Put a little Alcohol on it and insert it in about 2" and clean it out. Then use some Air and insert it into the hole 2" and blow it out. The front Screen just pulls down in the front of the Heater. That is where you will find the Pilot hole.

Look on Youtube it is there.
<===Lefty===

Offline fairweatherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2013, 06:55 AM »
I had the same problem with my heater I called the tech with buddy heater had to replace the pilot thermal couple and the main switch the tech said if I run it off a large tank I have to use a special hose the don't have any oils inside the hose from buddy heater I will see if I can get a part number and chime back in

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2013, 07:04 AM »
I had the same problem with my heater I called the tech with buddy heater had to replace the pilot thermal couple and the main switch the tech said if I run it off a large tank I have to use a special hose the don't have any oils inside the hose from buddy heater I will see if I can get a part number and chime back in
they sell a filter that you can use your hose with,or buy the special hose and don't need the filter.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2013, 07:33 AM »
they sell a filter that you can use your hose with,or buy the special hose and don't need the filter.

Recent discussion here:  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=267845.0

Portable Buddy owners manual here: http://www.mrheater.com/upload/newsletter/MH9BX_2009_US.pdf

Quote from owners manual: This Heater may be used in a recreational enclosure or temporary construction work enclosure with a remote refillable propane cylinder ONLY when the cylinder is located outdoors and the Heater is used with Mr. Heater Hose No. F273701, F273702 or F272702 and fuel filter F273699. Fuel filter must be replaced annually. (NOTE: Do not operate without the fuel filter as fuel contamination may damage the heater.) Or use green F273704 Buddy series hose. Fuel filter not required.

Hope that helps.  Good luck!
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2013, 09:53 AM »
Hit the off button a few times, had a problem like that this year and it fixed my problem.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline MT JigMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2013, 10:34 PM »
I have the big buddy and run it off a large tank also.  I have used it with and without the fuel filter without any problems (yet).  I had the newer style bottle attachment put on my hose (the type you don't need a wrench for) and the guy who put it on said that if I opened the bottle too fast it might not let the propane through.  Found out he was right and had to disconnect hose, reconnect hose and open valve slowly and it worked.  I have had the tank tip over and fill the hose with liquid too and that caused it not to light.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2013, 06:25 AM »
Try cleaning the pilot hole out.
<===Lefty===

Offline Hunter44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2013, 08:18 AM »
I had that problem I clean the pilot hole out with q-tip and alcohol fix it.

Offline iceauger57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2014, 12:12 AM »
I think the new 20 lb tanks have a device built into the shut off valve that shuts the gas off if it senses a sudden pressure change such as a major leak just shut off main valve on tank then back on hope this helps          tight lines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.