Author Topic: artic blast!  (Read 4198 times)

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
artic blast!
« on: Dec 29, 2013, 07:55 AM »
This week is looking great for making ice, Friday15 degree high with a 1 degree low should lock up even the bigger water bodies if not make them safe.

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: artic blast!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2013, 08:35 AM »
That's great news! I hope his rain we're going to get doesn't ruin all the ice we have but I hope it washes away any snow left over North of here.
:icefish:

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2013, 09:02 AM »
Looks like the wind well come and go with this cold front but we could hope for a calm night or 2 to let the lakes lock up.

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2013, 09:07 AM »
I'm not getting to excited yet because the long range as early as yesteday had it colder earlier in the week than today's update long range forecast.  >:(

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2013, 09:26 AM »
Rain then snow later in the week. I don't see anything remotely resembling an arctic blast in the forecast. I see more on again off again troubling weather that will have most folks watching & waiting or taking unnecessary risks to "get out on the ice". Another tough year for ice fishing in NJ overall if you ask me.

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2013/images/Outlook_map_temp2013F.jpg

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2013/20131121_winteroutlook.html

The Temperature Outlook favors:

Below-average temperatures in the Northern Plains and the Alaskan Panhandle.
Above-average temperatures in the Southwest, the South-Central U.S., parts of the Southeast, New England and western Alaska.

Equal chance is not good odds for north jersey let alone NJ as a whole.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=1

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2013, 09:43 AM »
Fishgalore? Its already been a better season the last year, ive made roughly10 trips and had ice as thick as 7"s before that last warm spell. Was out on the ice two days ago with 4+". Plenty of ice around as there is every year if you get out and look

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2013, 09:49 AM »
-4 in Sussex Friday night if forcast holds true
 http://m.accuweather.com/en/us/sussex-nj/07461/extended-weather-forecast/339547
I would say that will help the cause

Offline cchick27

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2013, 10:19 AM »
Just went out and check 1 private pond and 2 local lakes. Private pond had 3+ but was soft, local lakes were both iced over with 1"-2". So id say by mid-late week we will be fishing quite a few lakes, not just little water bodies to get out lines wet. Fingers crossed!
Chris

Offline FishinHardWater

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keepin it on the dry side since 2000
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2013, 11:10 AM »
You got me beat, delawareriver, I've only been on 9 times so far this year!  :tipup:

Offline FASTEDDIE29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2013, 11:37 AM »
COLD WEATHER!!!! WHOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOO!!! Don't believe all that Farmers Almanac and NOAA future cast BS. Where making ICE here in NJ and already way colder on average for the months of November and December. I've been on 4 inches plus 4 times already. That's way better than the past 2 years.
GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!😋

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2013, 12:00 PM »
You got me beat, delawareriver, I've only been on 9 times so far this year!  :tipup:
A few of my trips have only been half days, but i was lucky to spend a few longs days on the ice. Hopefully can get to some bigger lakes after this weekend

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2013, 12:38 PM »
This year has been good so far, got out the last day in November and today is my 12th trip of the year. Definitely worth going out in the rain today, got a nice one and a monster. These upcoming temps look great! We should have a lot of options by next weekend.

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2013, 03:09 PM »
Fishgalore? Its already been a better season the last year, ive made roughly10 trips and had ice as thick as 7"s before that last warm spell. Was out on the ice two days ago with 4+". Plenty of ice around as there is every year if you get out and look
Yea it's already been better then 2 years ago with lots more to come. But I think Galores point is it's nor for everyone till the ice could hold a truck. Safe vs nervous and wet or in my case nervous till I feel safe or it's simply not safe. Anyway like others I perfer snowless early ice, hopefully it'll be snowless for awhile, you cold cover ground quick when looking over new places.

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2013, 03:10 PM »
Who thinks the risk of going out on the ice to catch this fish is worth it?

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2013, 03:21 PM »
Nice 45incher Sax but before Galore I'll ask if it belongs on the ct board?

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2013, 03:23 PM »
It was only 44  ;D This thread is about getting people psyched about ice fishing and cold weather coming in. Figured I'd post the fish to give everyone something to look forward to.

Offline FASTEDDIE29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2013, 03:29 PM »
It's a MONSTER no doubt!!!! Does it belong on another thread, maybe??? The important part is that this fish is a TROPHY no matter where you go! Great catch Matt!!!! Congrats on another BEAST through the ICE!!!
GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!😋

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 29, 2013, 03:33 PM »
It was only 44  ;D This thread is about getting people psyched about ice fishing and cold weather coming in. Figured I'd post the fish to give everyone something to look forward to.
Being envious  doesn't psyche me up at all ::).

Offline LoneWolf

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #18 on: Dec 29, 2013, 03:34 PM »

Matt you forgot the name of the lake, gps coordinates, lure or bait used and the technique !!! LOL  :roflmao:
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 29, 2013, 03:36 PM »
Matt you forgot the name of the lake, gps coordinates, lure or bait used and the technique !!! LOL  :roflmao:

Lake X, still use Mapquest, dead fallfish on the bottom

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2013, 04:25 PM »
Whats any of this have to do with an artic blast coming with only safer ice on it way. In my opinion no ice is safe. But there has been fishable ice and no reason to say that its another lousy nj ice season. Ill spend my time on 3-4" of black ice and feel way safer then driving on the highways to work. At some point you gotta step out of your bubble and live a little.

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 29, 2013, 04:28 PM »
Great fish matt! Happy to see you get such a beautiful fish. Cant wait to start chasing some skies real soon, will be stocking the bait tank up well the next week

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 29, 2013, 04:33 PM »
Great fish matt! Happy to see you get such a beautiful fish. Cant wait to start chasing some skies real soon, will be stocking the bait tank up well the next week

Let me know when you want to go. Already got a 37", should be safe again really soon with this arctic blast coming in!

Offline captstevepc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 29, 2013, 05:17 PM »
Wow that is a monster.. Great fish matt.

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #24 on: Dec 29, 2013, 08:09 PM »
Great pike :tipup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Offline Tep151

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice!!!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 29, 2013, 08:24 PM »
Great fish Matt hope to see you again this year maybe Budd will have ice longer this year....

Offline oldman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 29, 2013, 08:32 PM »
Unfortunately, work, family, COMMON SENSE,etc. have kept me off the ice before last Saturday.  I can't say I'm not jealous of those with free time available during the week... This year has been tough for the weekend only guys.  Anyhow, the forecast looks good for the first weekend of the new year and I'm hopeful that there will be plenty of ice for a good long season. 

Now really Fishgalore, no matter how much training there's always going to be a few who take unnecessary chances.  I'm more of a less government in our lives the better kind a guy.  Maybe it would be better if the state hired some additional personnel, let's call them the Ice Police to go around and check the ice for us.  Perhaps the state could develop some level of standards for ice thickness to protect us from ourselves.  They could really insure our safety if they established a season when ice would most likely form and be safe, let's say mid-January to mid-February.  Maybe what I'll do is start a company that offers the class, at a nominal fee of course.  Then we can all carry a little card in our wallet that proves we have the proper training insuring that stupid people will never do stupid things ever again.  I'm just say'n.  ::)
"Izaak believed that fish could hear; if they can, then their vocabulary must be full of strange oaths, for all anglers are not patient men." --Izaak Walton, The Compleat Angler

Offline LoneWolf

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #27 on: Dec 29, 2013, 08:48 PM »

You can keep your ice and use your auger .. PERIOD.  :whistle:
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline oldman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 29, 2013, 09:00 PM »
LOL!!!!!
"Izaak believed that fish could hear; if they can, then their vocabulary must be full of strange oaths, for all anglers are not patient men." --Izaak Walton, The Compleat Angler

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 30, 2013, 11:15 AM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.