Author Topic: St Croix Ice rods  (Read 6120 times)

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
St Croix Ice rods
« on: Dec 06, 2005, 11:51 PM »
How many of you guys use these rods for ice fishing, I use em for both open water and ice fishing and love em whats your opinion on them if you own em?
Are they worth the money?

I have 7 of them and only one other rod of a different manufacturer in my ice arsenal.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re: St Croix Ice rods
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2005, 06:07 AM »
i hve a st croix light action that is sweet.by far the most sensitive ive owned and has plenty of backbone when ya set the hook into a big'n

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2005, 06:41 AM »
They make up most of my ice fishing rod arsenal. I have 2 legends, 4 avids, and 1 premier.  I love 'em. If I ever find any on sale, I buy them for my friends. I also use their open water rods.
Ken                                          

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2005, 06:52 AM »
I bought my first St.Croix pole this season. I cant wait to give it a try. Im usually a Shimano guy by nature but when this ultra lite rod caught my eye, I had to have her....super sensative with some power

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2005, 07:31 AM »
I bought a premier last year, and when i realized what a quality rod it is, I bought an avid...both saw heavy action last year for lakers and walleyes, and this year, I think my entire rod arsenal is going to be st. croix premiers.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2005, 04:45 PM »
They are an excellent choice. I have two.

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline iceturd

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2005, 10:28 PM »
Yes, St.Croix rods are awesome! I bought an avid UL 3yrs. ago & picked up another one & a lite action at a clearance sale last yr. They are my entire arsenal now. The UL,s have great sensitivity & enough backbone to fish brush & weeds. I use the lite action on a lake that has saugeye & have been able to use light jigs & still muscle up a few of those bottom huggers now & then. So I guess I,m as hooked as any fish on St.X rods!                 TIGHT LINES!

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2005, 02:39 PM »
St Croix's kick butt.  I'm very brand loyal to them.  3 avid fly rods, 3 avid spinning rods, 2 avid baitcasters, 1 legend elite spinning, 1 legend elite baitcaster, and 4 or 5 ice rods.  That's a good part of my arsenal that sees use anymore.  There are tons of other rods in the corners, but the St. Croix's see the most action by far.
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

PIKEGUY

« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2005, 02:43 PM »
I've heard enough about them now that I'm gonna have to try one. :)

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2005, 06:44 PM »
I have 2 St. Croix Premier, 1 UL and 1 ML.  Great sticks!!

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2005, 07:48 PM »
I just bought 3 from Cabela's....glad to see that they are the sh*t! I'll be icing lakers in style this year!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2005, 07:43 PM »
A question...I have a Premier Ice rod by St.Croix..they come with a heat band to hold the reel in place. (you use a hair dryer to shrink the band and thus tighten the reel the the rod) I dont like this idea because I like to take my reels off to re-spool and wondered if any of you have a better option?

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2005, 09:14 PM »
I use electrical tape to attach mine, if you get the good quality 3m electrical tape, it won't leave any sticky residue behind like the cheap stuff does.

incedentally, I picked up a 3 more st croix's at fish307 today, 2 ul's and 1 ml...with 2 other meds and a heavy avid I've got a veritable st croix arsenal...now I just gotta not break 'em. ;D

camo_fish

« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2005, 11:14 PM »
...now I just gotta not break 'em. ;D
yea those 25+ laker days just kill a rod sometimes.  ;)  ;D

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2005, 11:27 PM »
Ahh, you mean this rod

That was a Frabil 'Sensive' rod...and it should be written right on there

*warning, cannot withstand more than 25 Lake George Lake Trout in one day*

;D LOL!!

camo_fish

« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2005, 01:16 AM »
That was a Frabil 'Sensive' rod...and it should be written right on there

*warning, cannot withstand more than 25 Lake George Lake Trout in one day*
Yep, that one  ;) ;D

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2005, 05:46 AM »
I will not be a happy camper if any laker under 36" breaks my new St. Croixs! Well, they do have a warranty on them....hmm. ;)

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2005, 06:47 AM »
A question...I have a Premier Ice rod by St.Croix..they come with a heat band to hold the reel in place. (you use a hair dryer to shrink the band and thus tighten the reel the the rod) I dont like this idea because I like to take my reels off to re-spool and wondered if any of you have a better option?

On cork handled rods, I use Tommy Tape. It is a fusion wrap that sticks to itself when stretched. They have a decent website, just type in tommy tape in any web browser. They may have it at big hardware stores like lowes or home depot. Or check your local hardware store and ask for fusion wrap tape. It isn't sticky like electrical tape and won't pull off any cork material when removing it, but can be tricky installing it by yourself. If you can get someone else to hold the reel in place while you put on the fusion wrap, it's real easy then. Cut about an 8" or 10" piece, hold one end in place against the handle, and stretch the tape with your other hand while you wrap it around the handle and reel seat.
Ken                                          

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2005, 11:08 AM »
Hey for what's it worth, looked at the st.c rods, have a couple of them myself, did not like the ultra lights, not enough backbone for deep water hook sets, went with the rapala rod and reel combo for $29, over the genz and others. like the taper on the rod, stiff with some nice flex near the tip.
Iam also brand sensitive, but like what I see hard to really tell until you fish.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 12, 2005, 03:30 PM »
well, we'll see how the 2 UL st croix's work out...They have backbone, unlike all the previous UL jigging rods I have used...that'll be nice for a change I think ???

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2005, 08:43 PM »
I broke a couple of the m/ls last year on smaller eyes.  Was not impressed w/ durability, but they are awesome rods as far as sensitivity and backbone goes!  The ones that broke were replaced no questions asked, which is very nice!

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 21, 2005, 07:37 PM »
I have an ice fishing rod (38") built on a m/h St. Croix blank, I really enjoy it and it's been through the pucker brush over the past two seasons and none the worse.

I have been looking at the Premier m/l combo at a local sporting goods store the past few weeks, looks like a nice set up for the $$'s just haven't ponied up the cash yet.  Don't see how you could go wrong with one of their rods-as long as it's well paired with the fish you'll be icing.

-Grizz

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.