The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Berkley Gulp Alive Minnows  (Read 1933 times)

Offline austmoss

• IceShanty Rookie
Berkley Gulp Alive Minnows
« on: Dec 27, 2013, 10:30 AM »
Any of you had any luck with the Berkley Minnow products?  I have used them from a boat jigging for lakers previously and have good success with them, probably even better than sucker meat on a jig head, but I have not used them through the ice at all.  Curious if anyone has used them on Cutts or Walleyes with any success though the ice?  I know they will work for lakers but once the feeding frenzy starts I think they will bite about anything that drops down the hole.

Thanks!

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Berkley Gulp Alive Minnows
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2013, 11:05 AM »
I won a couple tubs in a fishing tourney this year, I have been trying them quite a bit so far this winter with no luck so far. I'll keep trying though
I'd rather do it on the ice

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2013, 11:16 AM »
I've used to use Gulp in the past. But ended up not carrying it with me anymore. Jars were leaking, Gulp juice was getting on my other stuff, etc. I would think it gave a bit of an edge, but the mess, sticky and smelly fingers weren't worth it imo.

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2013, 11:26 AM »
That crap does seem to infect everything within a 2 ft radius of it no matter how careful you are, My tacklebox with the gulp is just plain smelly to open, stuff seems to seep through the containers. ;D
I'd rather do it on the ice

Offline gsawyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2013, 11:33 AM »
I have been using it this winter fishing for rainbows and browns and have not had any success on it.
Can't catch em sittin in the living room!

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2013, 12:17 PM »
It is an excellent choice for tipping lures. I use it nearly every trip. I prefer the minnow heads and the 1" minnow fry.  When I first began using this product I was very skeptical...then I tested it. Doesn't work nearly as well as a freshly pinched off minnow head, but if you don't have that option the Gulp products will work.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2013, 12:41 PM »
It is an excellent choice for tipping lures. I use it nearly every trip. I prefer the minnow heads and the 1" minnow fry.  When I first began using this product I was very skeptical...then I tested it. Doesn't work nearly as well as a freshly pinched off minnow head, but if you don't have that option the Gulp products will work.

I did the very same doublehaul and agree with you. The heads do add scent and some movement, I just became tired of messing with them, but they do work. How has your season been? Heading out of town this weekend (Pierre, SD) but am considering a first time TRR trip soon.

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2013, 12:48 PM »
MY season has been going very well WYOutdoors, only been on the ice 4 days. Taking my wife this evening and will post a reports soon. If you are headed this direction shoot me a PM and I will do my best to meet up with ya.

I switched this year to the 1" gulp fry over the minnow heads. Seems to give the lure a little more bulk and action. I think the minnow heads are just too small of a presentation.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline austmoss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2013, 08:42 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  I am heading to upper sunshine tomorrow and will put some in the box just in case the standby isn't working.

Offline WyoMinFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2013, 09:28 AM »
Last year was the first time I used them on Hawk tipping a spoons for Walleye.  Seen in another post that putting some plastic wrap over jar helped prevent spilling when replacing lid.  Seemed to work.  As far as catching any fish I didn't have any luck..... Minnow heads caught me this year, have not had a chance to use them on ice yet.

Offline WyoMinFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2013, 10:11 AM »
Just read a good idea on another forum. Try wrapping several wraps of Teflon tape around threads. Also carry in zip locks helps

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2013, 10:31 AM »
I have been using it this winter fishing for rainbows and browns and have not had any success on it.

I have used them in fresh and saltwater, as well as ice fishing.  IMHO they are just a little better than no bait, but not nearly as good as the real thing.  And as mentioned they are smelly, nasty leaky things.  Not to mention nearly unremovable if you let them dry on the hook :P

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2013, 10:45 AM »
IMHO they are just a little better than no bait, but not nearly as good as the real thing.

This is exactly what I have found!

ClearCreek

Offline Houligan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2013, 12:36 PM »
I find them to work fairly well. Try keeping a good selection of sizes on hand. Sometimes its the size of the bait that makes the difference over color. I generally start with the 4' and work down in size if getting lookers and no bites or short strikes. Also be sure to have the proper hooks/jigs. Sometimes finding the right length or shank length on the jig hook matching the bait size is hard to do when purchasing over the counter at local stores.

Try not using snap swivels as tying directly to the eye lets the bait hang horizontal where the swivel can let the tail droop down. I have plenty of success using them when a horizontal bait seems to work better than a vertical bait.

Like anything else they are a good tool not a given in bait selection.

Cheers!
Houligan 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.