Author Topic: Self venting cap Eskimo auger  (Read 4706 times)

Offline Blueflamer

• IceShanty Rookie
Self venting cap Eskimo auger
« on: Dec 26, 2013, 05:21 PM »
I have a brand new Eskimo auger. The gas cap is supposed to be self venting. But when you go to cut ice you lose all power till you loosen the cap and let some air in. Anyone else having problems? Shouldn't have to drill a hole in a brand new auger cap, but I don't know if they sell the old style anywhere?

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Self venting cap Eskimo auger
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2013, 05:24 PM »
I bet you could get one at any lawn mower/small engine repair joint.

Offline Blueflamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2013, 05:29 PM »
I suppose hey. Was all pumped to try out my sweet new auger and as soon as it touches the ice blah. Haha   Was gonna check out cabelas, but not on boxing day

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2013, 05:47 PM »
I just bought a new manual venting cap from eskimo and the rubber seal was in upsidedown so it wasn't venting right till I switched it around. Maybe you have a similar situation. If the seal is the same on the auto venting, you take it off and look at the underside of the cap you should see a top hat or little tit protrusion sticking up towards you. If not its in upside down. I had a guy at the lake yesterday that had the new self venting cap and said his was put together wrong also and his wouldn't run till he switched it around.

Offline Blueflamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2013, 06:13 PM »
Ya. I think it's right. But I don't understand how air gets into these self venting caps since it's sealed with a rubber o ring.

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2013, 06:17 PM »
If you do go to the manual vent make sure you open when your not hauling it around or the build up of pressure will push fuel through the carb and out the muffler like mine was doing.  (Per Eskimo Service Lady)

Offline Blueflamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2013, 06:30 PM »
Ya mine must not be working properly. There was a ton of pressure in there as I popped the cap off. Been sitting for about 4 hours now

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2013, 06:35 PM »
I just ordered a new tank with the auto venting cap. I hope it works right. I guess I can just put my manual cap on it.

Offline Blueflamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2013, 06:37 PM »
Ya, no doubt. This is a brand new 71cc. Spend that much on an auger you shouldn't be having a stupid problem like that. Haha.

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2013, 06:48 PM »
I had a guy on the ice yesterday that couldn't get his z71 started needed help. I figured he flooded it out so no problem. Pulled the plug and it was real wet. Dried it off and let it set, put back in and tried no luck. Pulled plug again hooked up to wire and pulled real gentle with my bare thumb on the firing side of plug and nothing. So gave it a real hard pull on the rope wile still touching the plug at the part where you gap it and could hardly feel anything. So I have no idea on his problems maybe a bad plug? I know mine starts on the second pull. If I can get rid of the gas leak I think I'll be happy.

Offline Blueflamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2013, 06:55 PM »
I noticed the connections on my on off switch were a little loose before I started mine first time. But mine runs perfect until you start cutting ice and then it bogs down. So I loosened cap off between holes, then it ran fine, tons of power.

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2013, 07:38 PM »
The switch on mine is backwards and even if you swap the wires its still backwards. I guess nobody else will be able to start mine. lol

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2013, 09:36 PM »
Had same cap problem with the new jiffy today.

Offline Blueflamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2013, 08:12 AM »
What a pain in the ass.

Offline Blueflamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2013, 06:36 PM »
71cc blew up on me today. 2nd time using it. Took it back and got a 51cc. Talked to the guy about the ventilation issue. Said they have had almost every Eskimo and jiffy come back because of carb issues. Told him I was having problems till I bought an older style cap, then it ran fine

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2013, 08:34 PM »
Blew up on ya, that really sucks man. Any idea why? WHo sold it to you? Any grief getting the new one? Hopefully this ones a winner. If not what will your next brand be? I sure hope I'm not putting money in something thats gonna blow up or just leak forever.

Offline Blueflamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2013, 08:57 PM »
Cabelas. No issue taking back. Guy said it was probably the clutch or transmission. Said they have a pallet full going back to eskimo. Took a 51cc home. Stopped at wholesale and bought a jiffy cap for the new one though. Fit good.

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2013, 09:11 PM »
A pallet? That is horrible. Somebody said they are the number one seller. If this is true it must be because of the price. You sure don't here these stories about the pre solo strikemasters. Man I sure hope this one works great for a lot of years. Ive seen a lot of these eskimos on the ice the last few trips out and every single person has something wrong with their unit. Either wont start, leaks  out the muffler or out the gas cap or out the gas line grommet or out the molded nut. Not good. I'd sell my 71 cc but wouldn't want to do that to somebody, (knowing it has the leak thing happening). Who knows maybe the new tank install will be my last problem. Good luck Blueflamer

Offline Blueflamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2013, 09:22 PM »
Ya, whatever one they had on sale come back as fast as they sold them I guess. Haha. Said jiffy were coming back too. Thought about trying an electric one but they didn't have any. Plus it's only an 8inch hole

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2013, 09:28 PM »
I's like to have a Nils but they cost way to much and seem to be pretty touchy with the blades getting jacked up. I have that old Lazer mag and it is just awesome. But it is old and I know its days or numbered. Who knows maybe it will last for a lotta years. I saw an electric one working the other day, it was a trip watchin the hole going in and no noise from a motor.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2013, 09:54 PM »
Blueflamer,
Well, isn't that not only odd but also rare.   I would like to hear the entire story and include little details with more specifics: Did the engine actually fail ?  Did the failure occur in the gear box ?  Did anything open up ? Did the auger lock up re-drilling an old hole ?   Was it a new hole ?  Anything else you're not ashamed to tell us ?    Thanks.    ;)2

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2013, 10:28 PM »
Some of you guys act like you got stock in Eskimo. Ive done a little research instead of just drinking the  koolaid. I ask everybody I see with a new Eskimo auger about problems or what they think and more often than not they have or had a leak or are not as happy as they want to be with the eskimo unit they have. Guy the other day on the ice decided he wouldn't sell his strikemaster after using his brand new Mako. Said he felt it was underpowered. Another guy asked me to help start his (71cc) and we discovered no spark, said it was 2 years old and only been to the lake 10 times. Maybe just a bad plug. I put my first plug in my lazer mag this year. Auger is 15 years old at least. Everyone says its the bad gas. Ive used pump gas with whatever oil was around forever, never drained the lazer mag and never had a problem. Only trouble Ive had was a throttle cable. Lubed it up and am good to go. I think some people are having some legit problems and  I don't get the comments that insinuate they caused it or you don't take care of your stuff. Maybe some of the stuff is just JUNK.

Offline pcdoc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2013, 11:14 PM »
have a eskimo and a jiffy ,,both decent but jiffy u gotta pull 5 plus times and eskimo will fire on 1 9 out of 10 times

Offline Captainmorgan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I don't believe anything on this forum
« Reply #23 on: Dec 31, 2013, 04:52 PM »
I have a eskimo z51. Auger came with self ventilating cap. Would run for 20 seconds and stall out. Got a jiffy manual venting cap, runs great. Spoke with eskimo via email, they are sending me a manually vented cap and also informed me that if you trim the outside of the seal on the auto venting caps it should work. Why should you have to screw around with a cap after spending 4 or 5 hundred bucks on a auger. Lol

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #24 on: Jan 01, 2014, 08:09 PM »
I have an old 2hp jiffy and an Eskimo Shark 71cc both run great. The Eskimo is a beast cuts through thick ice like a  hot knife through butter.
The only complaint I have is it gets a little heavy when drilling a pile of holes like I always do. The blades are still like new. I have the self venting cap no problems but if I did I would switch to a manual vented cap. You should break these in properly before hitting the ice. I probably had two hours on mine before it saw action on the ice. The gearbox needs at least that much time to loosen as well as the bearings and seals. Use good quality fuel and oil preferably without ethanol and a fuel stabilizer like seafoam.
 Take care of your blades too dont leave the auger standing in a half drilled hole.
 If you are just a little bit smarter than the tools you are using you should get years of use out of them. That being said you can find lemons in any make or model. When that happens look for a company to stand by their product. 
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline Captainmorgan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I don't believe anything on this forum
« Reply #25 on: Jan 01, 2014, 09:35 PM »
Ya, must be something with the newer caps. I bought one at cabelas, thinking it was maybe just the one on my auger, but turns out it wasn't. Guy at cabelas says they use a 71cc with no issues either. So I just grabbed a jiffy cap, now she runs like a top. Eskimo is also sending me one in the mail. Replied to my email immediately, and got it all sorted.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.