Author Topic: Vexilar FL-8 SLT Not working?  (Read 7866 times)

Offline kyle31490

• Team IceShanty Regular
Vexilar FL-8 SLT Not working?
« on: Dec 26, 2013, 10:57 AM »
 I got a used Vex fl-8 a couple years ago. It has always worked great and been a lot of fun.

Last year, the wire for the connector that goes onto the battery finally broke so I replaced the connectors, never had any other issue with it.

I store it inside my home. No moisture, etc.

I take it out on the first outing this year, and it starts up normal and sounds normal, but it isn't marking anything? No bottom at all just a small green line at the top, sometimes....

The ducer looks fine and all and is always kept in Styrofoam and in a good bucket with lid too. Fits perfect. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the ducer and power cord, same result.

What can be wrong? I was running it on setting 1 in about 12 feet of water and even with the gain turned all the way up it wont mark anything. Are brushes bad? Ducer just go bad on its own? Time to replace whole unit? I got hit with an unexpected, large bill for a needed home improvement this year so finances are tight. If I cant fix it, I may just have to go without it this year. Anyone offer any hints or advice? Hopefully its something simple.  :(
FLAG!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Vexilar FL-8 SLT Not working?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2013, 11:29 AM »
first start with making sure the battery is good.weak batteries are the number one problem for flasher malfunctions.

Offline kyle31490

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2013, 11:48 AM »
Ok, I do have another battery. I will try that today. Be really cool if that was the problem.
FLAG!

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2013, 01:20 PM »
You might take the ducers cord apart at the end that plugs into the head unit and make sure the solder conections are all still good. Need a real small screwdriver, but I had one that had come apart, put it back together and all was good.

Offline NORRM

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I see fish lurking about the chilly depths!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2013, 01:34 PM »
Definitely start with the battery, if that doesn't do it contact vexilar. They are the best in customer satisfaction. I had a problem with a vex fl20 that belonged to my brother that pasted away and know when he bought it and I sent the unit back to them and they repaired it and sent it back repaired and now my son uses it keeping my brother out on the ice with me for years to come.
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day
Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in his shanty all day and drink BEER!!

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2013, 04:26 PM »
  Turn the unit on and put the transducer up to your good ear and you should hear a clicking sound. If not your ducker or connections are bad.As you mentioned,could also be brushes or crud on the slip rings. Clean with electric cleaner,being very careful with cue tip. good luck.

Offline kyle31490

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2013, 10:08 PM »
Batt didn't work.

Cleaning didn't work.

I do see now that the things behind the screen spin, but no lights come on. Is there a bulb for the 3 colors?
FLAG!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2013, 11:23 PM »
Turn the sensitivity up all the way, grab the ducer and rub it on a pair of jeans. It should make marks all over the place on the screen.

To me, it sounds like it needs to go to vexilar for a tune-up. After parts and labor, it may be a good time to upgrade.  :(
EYECONICFISHING

Offline kyle31490

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2013, 12:53 AM »
The lights on the screen are definitely not working. Not sure if that suggests the ducer is bad, the brushes are bad, or maybe a bulb?
FLAG!

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2014, 07:58 AM »
If you find out please let us know for our future diagnostic problems which I hope never happen.

Offline kyle31490

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:43 PM »
Bought a Marcum, problem fixt! ;D

I do plan to fix the vex still haha. Gonna buy new batt first just haven't found where to buy one yet
FLAG!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2014, 10:04 PM »
Try your marcum battery  ;)
EYECONICFISHING

Offline kyle31490

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2014, 02:27 PM »
I think Im gonna just stick my head down the hole to look for fish?

I got the Marcum and tried it yesterday but it doesn't work  :o

So now I have the broken Vex and broken Marcum. Pretty sure the Vex needs brushes. The Marcum I have no clue. See my thread in this section titled "So my miserable luck with flashers continues."

Thanks a lot to all that gave me advice.
FLAG!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.