The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: White Lightning VS Model 30  (Read 1112 times)

Offline kokanee

• IceShanty Rookie
White Lightning VS Model 30
« on: Dec 05, 2005, 07:46 PM »
Looking for some opinions on which model too get.Bass Pro have both models on sale this week and can't decide.

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: White Lightning VS Model 30
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2005, 11:44 AM »
I have a white lightning and have used the model 30.  The 30 is very loud.  The 2hp has an actual muffler the 30 just has a baffle.  Just look at it when your at the store.  If you've ever been ice fishing and you hear a very annoying and loud auger that sounds like someone took the muffler off, thats a 30.

In case you are wondering I have a 10" auger on the end of my WL and it cuts fine with the 2hp.  A 10" is not nearly as fast as a 8" but I like the larger hole size for slab crappies.

I think I am going to buy a set of Stealth STX blades and modify mine.
Cheese Head

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2005, 10:14 AM »
I just bought the white lightning with a 9" blade.  I'm not sure how much ice you'll be cutting through but from what I've been told the 2hp model will cut plenty fast and is about 5 lbs. lighter than the model 30.  No need to lug that extra weight.

Offline NORRM

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I see fish lurking about the chilly depths!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2005, 11:30 AM »
Been ice fishing for a long time. I have 3-30's and love em. Guys I know have the smaller augers with 8's on them and every year it seems to be something different that needs fixing. I look at it like this I don't mow my lawns with weed wackers so why should I drill holes with one. Be an ice fishing animal and go for the extra weight andi think you'll find out the bigger machine will last you a little longer too.  ;D ;)
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day
Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in his shanty all day and drink BEER!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.