The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: z51 update - gas leak  (Read 1175 times)

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
z51 update - gas leak
« on: Dec 25, 2013, 09:55 AM »
Hi,

I wanted to solicit some help with my auger.  Last night, I laid it down again, and had the vent cap open.  This morning, it is again leaking.  I just spent about 10 minutes with a flashlight, trying to figure out where it is leaking from.  I can't find the culprit right now.  It is again coming thru the engine back by the plug... assuming leaking thru carb, as other person indicated?

What are my options?  I am storing it upright for the time being, but it isn't always going to be an option.  Is this going to be an expensive fix?

Any input on who I should call, or other advise is appreciated.  FYI - I have the ability to do some real basic stuff, but can't really tear into it.

Thanks.

BTW, it is less than 2 years old, and well cared for.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: z51 update - gas leak
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2013, 10:09 AM »
mjk, I don't know what to tell ya, we've gone through just about everything there is to check, wish I could solve it for ya. My PM inbox is now full to the limit from folks with auger problems. I'm going to have to step back and take a break from it for awhile, I really can't keep up with all of it. Wish I could help each and everyone; best I can do now is suggest to go back through the threads and try to apply what was posted to your specific issue. If that doesn't help, take it to a competent repair shop that is FAMILIAR with augers. Again, I need to step away for awhile, but in the meantime, I'd like to wish all a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.   :)

Reb
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2013, 10:18 AM »
Ok Reb... thanks.

Eva is the person who I should contact at Ardisam, correct?  And if I reference your name, she knows who you are?

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2013, 11:44 AM »
Just took it apart.  Looks like it is the tank, however I can't actually locate the leak.  Spent time with a flashlight looking very closely for cracks, but could not find anything.  It is wet behind the back of the tank.

I am wondering if it has anything to do with the design of the 4 bolts that attach to the tank?  I thought I read that there is a new design.  Will have to contact Artisam.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2013, 12:03 PM »
Can you remove the tank ?

Drain it first.  Clean around each major opening, seal with small pieces of tape, tighten the cap & vent.  The one thing needed is a piece of tubing that fits tightly in one hole in the tank. Clean tubing that has not had fuel in it. Put the tank under water in the kitchen or other sink, blow gently in the clean tubing. The leak will be obvious.

Awaiting the result......

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2013, 12:13 PM »
26$ for tank with self venting cap and filter with new lines. Easy fix if its the tank.

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2013, 12:22 PM »
Yes, i removed the tank this morning.  I found it to be wet  in the back of the tank.  I wiped it off and looked for any apparent cracks.  I did not see any, so I re-assembled it for the time being.  Will have to call Artisam, I guess.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2013, 12:42 PM »
HEY, what don't you understand about not being able to see a gas leak.

Removal is caveman easy and bubbles don't lie.

Sink the tank !     :nono: :%$#!:     This is your last chance, do it, or we're done with advice that is not taken !   Got that ?     ???

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2013, 12:57 PM »
Ez, Idaho.  I hear you loud and clear.  It is Christmas, and I would have to go get some gas line to do your experiment.  I don't have any sitting around.

I think, in taking a look at it again, the leak is coming from the gas line inlet into the tank.  In fact, I am pretty sure that is the issue.  For the time being, I took the redneck approach, and applied some JB Weld Quick Steel around the rubber grommet.  I'll let it set for a few hrs and see what happens.

Don't think I don't appreciate the insight, but chill....

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2013, 01:08 PM »
Oh , cool, so sorry I freaked out like that.    :'(

Truly, JB Weld is a magic potion, ha.   I hope it sticks.  I've used it for years. I've had it fall off slick surfaces or where the degreaser missed a spot.
Really tryin' to help you with the very frustrating chore of locating a fuel leak in a spot that is not easily in view, ha.  Hope you have it in a warm place to "tac-set", full cure can take a while.   Fingers crossed for ya.     ;)2 

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2013, 01:10 PM »
He's always chilled, (I'gator) just likes those "perk'em up" mind games. He's pokin' ya.  :whistle: If ya do get a new grommet, what I do when putting new lines in, and off and on throughout the year, give that ol' grommet a squirt of pure silicone, helps keep 'em lubed and pliable. Now, back to my Christmas cookies.  ;D.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Krakkon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2013, 07:11 PM »
Mine is doing the same thing and it is the nut that is imbedded in the tank... New tank is the fix

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2013, 07:58 PM »
My leak was thru the gas line inlet.  The 'redneck' fix of JB Weld seems to be working just fine.  Will probably order the new tank assembly at the end of the season.

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2013, 10:33 PM »
Windshield urethane sticks to everything and seals gas up good. just clean with some alcohol. Rough up with 80 grit sand paper and dab some on. Get the end of a screwdriver wet and you can smooth the stuff out really good.

Offline Chiroguyf250

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2013, 04:06 PM »
My z51 is leaking through the rubber under the Cap it dry rotted and leaks
I've got your back!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.