Author Topic: Here come the jumbos!  (Read 2891 times)

Offline elkcrazy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
Here come the jumbos!
« on: Dec 23, 2013, 10:42 PM »
Haven't figured out how to insert images, too tired anyway... Good day today on Cascade. All fish 10 inches and smaller were thrown back (about 60) . 45 keepers came home with the biggest at 14.5 inches tipping the scale at 2 pounds. Most were around the 12 inch range. I could not fit them in my 5 gallon bucket so we had to fill another half full. I just got done cleaning and had 9 lbs of pure fillets.... Other than the constant rain today was good!

Offline Bigggcountry

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'm not a man prone to sharing my secrets.
Re: Here come the jumbos!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2013, 10:47 PM »
What part of the lake?  Tips?  Techniques??  Inquiring minds wanna know.

Offline sdhuntandfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2013, 10:51 PM »
Bowhunter68 and I had a day like that a couple weeks ago. We had a few that topped the 15" mark. Gotta love Cascade...

Congrats on some good eats!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2013, 10:59 PM »
Sounds like a great day Elkcrazy8.   That photo thing is best tackled when you're rested up a bit.  Very briefly, go to Photobucket.com,  get a free account, put your photos there, copy the [img] code ONLY and paste that in your post on Iceshanty.   More details at the link.   Good luck.     ;)2

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=31022.0

Offline rickgehrke

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin lips
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2013, 11:24 PM »
Haven't figured out how to insert images, too tired anyway... Good day today on Cascade. All fish 10 inches and smaller were thrown back (about 60) . 45 keepers came home with the biggest at 14.5 inches tipping the scale at 2 pounds. Most were around the 12 inch range. I could not fit them in my 5 gallon bucket so we had to fill another half full. I just got done cleaning and had 9 lbs of pure fillets.... Other than the constant rain today was good!

Sugarloaf?
Fish hard, or go home.

Offline elkcrazy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2013, 11:28 PM »
Here are some photos!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2013, 11:37 PM »
WOW !   Trophy's !

Congrats Elkcrazy8, on the jumbos and figuring out the photo thing in jig time, ha.      :thumbsup: ;)2

Offline elkcrazy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2013, 11:45 PM »
Thanks Gator. For those requesting about info I often give advice on the message function to contributors to IS, but chose to not give it on the open forum for lurkers (if ya know what I mean) I am already wigged out with busy parking lots this time of year :)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2013, 12:24 AM »
They've said on Star Trek, watch yer caboose, so they don't "tail" ya to yer spot.     ;)2

And, lose lips sink ships, ha.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2013, 01:17 AM »
Wow , I sure wish we had Perch like that in south east Idaho .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline turdfurgeson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2013, 09:14 AM »
Very nice!
How thick is the ice getting?
Thank you

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2013, 09:44 AM »
Wow.  A day like that would spoil me forever.  Congrats.

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2013, 10:09 AM »
take a few fillets out of each package and start another one and fill them with water than freeze, you won't freezer burn any of the fillets that way....
Matt
Duck-Slayers new nickname is "DUD-switch".  Just for the record......  BITE ME

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 
2012 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2012 Cascade Ice Cup Derby winner - Perch
2013 Hard Water Classic winner - Perch
2013 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2014 Hard Water Classic 2nd - Perch

Offline elkcrazy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2013, 10:15 AM »
Where we were fishing the ice was about 6-7 inches. I did see various snowmobiles cruising back and forth but am still hesitant about taking my 4 wheeler or sled out. Its not the 6-7 inches that worries me, its the possible thin spots I don't see. Plus I could use some exercise. We were fishing in 17.5 feet of water and lets just say that we were keeping an "eye" on our jigs!

BTW, if anyone catches a large snot rocket being followed by a fishing pole please let me know  ;D

Offline GreenLife

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 24, 2013, 12:17 PM »
BTW, if anyone catches a large snot rocket being followed by a fishing pole please let me know  ;D

Classic!! I had one of those a few years ago at Magic. First pole of the day in the farthest out hole setting up. Turned around to go get another rod/holder setup and hear a quiet bloop. Turned around to see the holder upended and rod gone. New $5 Chubby Darter and brand new combo gone. Think it was one of those monster browns I've heard the old boys tell stories of.  :'(
"I've gone fishing thousands of times in my life, and I have never once felt unlucky or poorly paid for those hours on the water." ~ William Tapply

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it.  What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." ~ John Gierach

Offline FishingSpud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2013, 12:24 PM »
AWESOME! Man, that really gets me pumped to get out there and drill some holes. Thanks for sharing the pics...

Offline clearwaterb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2013, 10:26 AM »
elkcrazy8 your inbox is full, must be everyone asking the same question I was asking.

Offline negativecold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2013, 09:21 PM »
Thanks for sharing the pics, Elkcrazy8.  I was afraid of not seeing perch like that after leaving Fort Drum, NY and ice fishing on Lake Ontario.  My confidence is restored....
"There is never a bad time to go fishing"

"Fishing is a problem solver"

Offline elkcrazy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2013, 09:32 PM »
Thanks for sharing the pics, Elkcrazy8.  I was afraid of not seeing perch like that after leaving Fort Drum, NY and ice fishing on Lake Ontario.  My confidence is restored....

These are just as good as any NY perch. I grew up fishing on the ponds and bays of Lake Ontario and also the finger lakes. I do miss the pike fishing though!

Offline negativecold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2013, 10:48 PM »
4 feet thick ice and pike.  Yep, me too I will have to get back there one of these winters.  Had a lot of good times chasing down flags.
"There is never a bad time to go fishing"

"Fishing is a problem solver"

Offline mooseymo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 27, 2013, 05:51 PM »
Green life. That was a good day of fishing though.   Dany should have lost his rod and reel too.
sick days are for fishing!

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2013, 03:21 PM »
Well done CB!!!!
BOWHUNTER68

Offline fishmohr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2013, 08:44 PM »
You rock!  Nice job cleaning and packaging.  I live in Colorado but would love to ice perch with you!

Fishmohr

Offline Perch-slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2014, 01:08 PM »
I noticed that you lost a rod.  I would suggest using a Jig trotter.  I ran into IceHogger a couple years ago and he showed me them.  He actually designed them..  They sell them at sportsmans for i think $10.  You rod doesnt sit in the snow, the wind actually jigs your pole and ive had a few times where a trout was making my pole screem and since the whole pole pivits....never lost a rod.  Just a thought.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.