Author Topic: Yankee Hill  (Read 2508 times)

Offline Stutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yankee Hill
« on: Dec 21, 2013, 07:16 PM »
Went out there today form 8:00am to 12:00 caught some nice Gills and just a few crappie all the crappie were under 9 inches biggest gill was 8 1/2. I was sure hoping for a surprise walleye maybe next time. 

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
Re: Yankee Hill
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2013, 08:35 PM »
Went out there today form 8:00am to 12:00 caught some nice Gills and just a few crappie all the crappie were under 9 inches biggest gill was 8 1/2. I was sure hoping for a surprise walleye maybe next time.
no bullhead??
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Stutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2013, 07:29 PM »
I guess I was lucky enough to not find any of those ;D

Offline teehjaeh57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2013, 11:44 AM »
Good report Stutz - thanks for sharing and good job finding nice BG on public water!  See anyone else out there?  How thick was the ice?

Those Crappie are overpopulated and stunting I fear, see it happen in many fisheries.  Is there a 10" limit there?  A 9-11" slot would probably help manage the population much better.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline Eastwesterner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2013, 04:14 PM »
Good report Stutz - thanks for sharing and good job finding nice BG on public water!  See anyone else out there?  How thick was the ice?

Those Crappie are overpopulated and stunting I fear, see it happen in many fisheries.  Is there a 10" limit there?  A 9-11" slot would probably help manage the population much better.
I'm awaiting DB's response with a link attached.
Where's the ice

Offline teehjaeh57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2013, 04:46 PM »
Reviewed regs - appears 10" crappie limit does not apply to Yankee Hill, but I'm not 100% certain.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline Stutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2013, 06:57 PM »
Hey teejaeh57 the ice was around 8 inches every I checked. I worked a lot of the south side. I was pretty surprised to catch some gills over 8in thought a few of them were crappie before they got to the hole they had some good fight in them. There were a few other groups out a guy with a four wheeler was covering some good ground I don't know if they caught anything they left before I did.

Offline Spark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2013, 09:28 PM »
If I was on a 4 wheeler out there I would stay long either since it's a WMA and you are not suppose to have them on the ice unless he has a special permit for being disabled.

Offline teehjaeh57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2013, 09:53 PM »
Thanks for the update Stutz - did you keep any crappie for the peanut oil?

Offline Stutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2013, 07:25 AM »
I didn't keep any from Yankee Hill. But these guys found there way to the Peanut oil ;D MMmmmmm!
Heading out the door for one more day on the ice before Christmas.

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2013, 10:31 AM »

Stunted crappie in Yankee Hill?????

News to me.  I do not have any sampling data from this year because Yankee Hill was sampled a year ago.  What was found then was an excellent population of crappies, with well over half of the fish larger than 10 inches.  The crappie population in Yankee Hill has only just recently become established after the Aquatic Habitat Rehabilitation project and complete renovation.  It is still expanding.

And here are the links: ;)

http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/2010/01/stunted/

http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/2013/01/pigs-ice/

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline teehjaeh57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2013, 11:20 AM »
Good news to me - was not aware Crappie only recently were stocked there, so uniform size probably represents a year class.  I have fished public water with 90% fish in the 6-8" range and poor body condition which indicated a overpopulation/stunting problem/lack of forage.  We've probably all had that experience - they are a boom or bust spawner - original fish usually do very well, subsequent classes can vary depending on the fishery makeup.  Sounds like gillnet surveys suggest good crappie fishing in Yankee Hill - hope someone gets out and pops some nice slabs this season!  I hear Branched Oak has a lower population, but fish average pretty large.

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2013, 11:39 AM »
Good news to me - was not aware Crappie only recently were stocked there, so uniform size probably represents a year class.  I have fished public water with 90% fish in the 6-8" range and poor body condition which indicated a overpopulation/stunting problem/lack of forage.  We've probably all had that experience - they are a boom or bust spawner - original fish usually do very well, subsequent classes can vary depending on the fishery makeup.  Sounds like gillnet surveys suggest good crappie fishing in Yankee Hill - hope someone gets out and pops some nice slabs this season!  I hear Branched Oak has a lower population, but fish average pretty large.

They were not stocked, at least not by state fisheries biologists.

Branched Oak has a very good crappie population right now. ;)

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline iceberg56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2013, 08:27 PM »
Stutz, did you catch the perch at Yankee hill???

Offline Stutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2013, 09:12 PM »
Stutz, did you catch the perch at Yankee hill???
Hey iceberg56 those fish were not from Yankee hill. I was out west. Shure wish are water could hold some yellow perch
on this side of the state. I see your form Beatrice I have caught a few nice yellow perch at Burchard there's just not a lot of them in there.

Offline Deadhead D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2013, 02:35 PM »
  I need to get back out to Yankee Hill one of these days, the only day I fished it this year I had an auger malfunction after drilling 3 holes. 

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2013, 07:13 PM »
  I need to get back out to Yankee Hill one of these days, the only day I fished it this year I had an auger malfunction after drilling 3 holes.

Good reason to always have a spare!!
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline iceberg56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 29, 2013, 01:39 PM »
Been to Burchard twice this year, No perch, just everything else, Limit crappie yesterday, nice gills and 18 inch bass.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.