Author Topic: Tip Up Flag Extensions  (Read 2765 times)

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Tip Up Flag Extensions
« on: Dec 03, 2005, 09:16 PM »
Does anyone have a suggestion for extending the flag on board style tip ups?  I just picked up a new Frabil Classic but the flag isn't very tall and seems like it will be hard to see if there is any snow on the ice. 

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tip Up Flag Extensions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2005, 08:54 AM »
How about making a flag extension by straightening out a coat hanger and duct taping it to the shaft of the existing flag, then adding a new flag on the end of the coathanger?
Are you SURE it's safe to walk on? Looks questionable to me!

Offline northdease

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2005, 10:02 AM »
i have tried to extend the flags on some of my tip ups (polar and artic fire) a couple of things that i noticed is try to make them removable and make sure the are not to heavy or long  for the spring on the tip up. i used a roll pin (i think its called) and crimped it on the end of my tip up and then used a stainless steel welding rod for the extension. worked pretty good except for really windy days. something else you have to take into consideration is when the tip up is set with too long of flags is the flags themselves will sit in the snow or ice and could become frozen to it. it happened to me. if you play with it enough you will get it to work. i will use these set ups when setting tip up far away. good luck

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2005, 03:50 PM »
Removable and visible, I use marking flags from the gas company, use a piece of duct tape on the main shaft and it extents it 18 inches.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2005, 04:02 PM »
Made some extensions for my Polars last year using THIN alum. tubing,made up replacement flags when extensions weren't needed with fabric and velcro strips.
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2005, 06:25 PM »
One of the guys I fish with ( MARK BARLOW ) bought extensions for his traps and they work great. He is always on the Goatboy shanty. Pop down and ask him or send him a PM.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2005, 06:05 AM »
I use the HT extensions on all of my Polars. We don't often get deep snow here in CT but it sure helps mine stand out from my friends when it pops ;D It's also an advantage when we fish at night with the Omni Strike lights on them, there's no mistaking a flage with that bright red light waving back and forth in the night...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.