Author Topic: Marcum LX-5  (Read 1987 times)

Offline 90RangerXLT

• IceShanty Rookie
Marcum LX-5
« on: Dec 19, 2013, 10:18 PM »
Purchased a new Marcum LX-5, is anyone familiar with this unit?  The instructions indicate unit is ready to use out of the box however display does not power up?  I can hear the head of the unit run, but no color markings on the display.  If I hold the zoom button down and turn on power I see a few flickers of colors then display goes blank for simulator mode.  I hooked up the power adapter for charging and the red light is on and appears to be charging?  Does the unit behave this way if the battery is dead?  I note there appears to be no battery indicator on the unit.  Read Marcum discontinued the battery strength indicator with 2012 models and newer?  Any advise would be appreciated.  I am currently charging it to see if this makes a difference once green light goes on the charging adapter.  To me it would appear battery is almost stone dead?  Is this how they behave when battery is dead or is my unit faulty?

Thanks
The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

Offline burts122

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Marcum LX-5
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2013, 10:25 PM »
Did you check the battery terminal connections? I had to crimp mine tighter with pliers to keep them from coming off. Give that a shot - and remember if you don't have a secure connection your battery won't charge either  ;) Hope that helps, good unit!

Offline 90RangerXLT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2013, 11:07 PM »
Did you check the battery terminal connections? I had to crimp mine tighter with pliers to keep them from coming off. Give that a shot - and remember if you don't have a secure connection your battery won't charge either  ;) Hope that helps, good unit!

Yes thanks for the reply, I did check the connectors right of way, they are nice and tight.  When I plug the power adapter in before plugging into the wall the light is green, which should indicate also a good connection.  The light on the adapter goes red when I plug into the wall.  Has been charging for a couple hours and is still red.  Prob won't know tell morning.  If she is not green in 8 hours or so and my prob is not solved it will be going back to the store.

Thanks

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2013, 11:34 PM »
i have an LX-5 as well the wall charger doesn't turn green on mine but will give a full charge after 8hrs. Ive tested it with another charger i know works and it turned green right away. you may have to turn your gain up in simulator mode and play with the features that way.

Offline 90RangerXLT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2013, 11:44 PM »
i have an LX-5 as well the wall charger doesn't turn green on mine but will give a full charge after 8hrs. Ive tested it with another charger i know works and it turned green right away. you may have to turn your gain up in simulator mode and play with the features that way.

Hi Thank you for your reply, even with the gain up and in simulator mode, there is nothing for colors.  The unit beeps every so many seconds, prob beeping for when the simulated fish strikes the bait.  But display is completely blank for colors.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2013, 12:23 AM »
Sounds like a faulty motor. once its turned on there should be red mark that's about a half inch wide at the top of the dial (the zero mark).  If you can I would take it back and exchange it for a new one. I've sent mine back to marcum once already for warranty work. when in zoom my display would sway back and forth. it took 3 weeks from the time I sent it in and returned. They replaced the motor in my unit and extended my warranty for another year.

Offline Andrew081

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2013, 10:55 AM »
I would say something wrong with it as well. As soon as you turn it into that demo mode you should be able to see the bottom, fish, and hook, and when the fish strikes the hook is when you hear the beep. Sounds like its not lighting up for some reason but I have never had lights not working before and gain shouldn't make any difference on demo mode. I have the same problem with mine swaying up and down in the water column so I think I am going to send mine in too. Seems to be a common problem I guess, I had one before that did that and returned it for the one I have now but it still does it too. Must have been a bad lot of them. But I would return and get a new one. Or one of the new flx-28 with digital depth read outs, they look pretty sweet.

Offline 90RangerXLT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2013, 01:37 PM »
Thanks everyone for your help, I took the unit back and the store tested it out also and said it was fried.  The replacement unit seems to work fine.  Now to get out and catch a fish.  Btw I had emailed Marcum customer service in Minnesota, they were awesome to deal with.    Got back to me within minutes.

Offline hugh2bee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2013, 11:36 AM »
I thought I read that some of you guys upgraded from lx-7 to a 9, and lx-5 to a 9.  How do I find out how to do that?

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2013, 03:51 PM »
I thought I read that some of you guys upgraded from lx-7 to a 9, and lx-5 to a 9.  How do I find out how to do that?

you can upgrade your LX7 to a LX9 by sending it back to marcum where they will reprogram your unit and hook up a camera. the upgrade cost as much as the difference in price between the lx7 and the lx9.  as for going from a lx5 to lx9 I don't think its possible ones a flasher the other is an LCD.

Offline Walleye2013

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2013, 07:02 PM »
Bought a lx-5 last jan and I just got it back from warranty work the motor went, buddies lx-3 is doing the same thing mine was before motor went.. Marcum said they have been getting lots back lately. Most people I know that have bought a lx-3 or 5 in the past 2years have had the same issue...there customer support is good to deal with but on a flasher that's less than a year old (so is buddies) there should be no issues. Anyways 3weeks later my lx5 was returned and works fine so far. Glad it was as easy as it was but still a pain in the .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.