Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Rookie Basics?  (Read 877 times)

Offline apdenk

• IceShanty Rookie
Rookie Basics?
« on: Dec 19, 2013, 03:21 PM »
Hey guys, me and a friend of mine are looking to try out some ice fishing over the holiday break.  We live in central Iowa and were thinking of trying some nearby ponds from some crappie and maybe LM if we get lucky.  Anyone know of any good spots around Des Moines for crappie?  And how do you go about rigging for crappie, does a jig tipped with a wax worm work just fine?  and since we are first timers we don't have an auger, so will an ice pick/spud be sufficient at opening a hole?
Thanks for any feed back, i know some of these questions might be stupid but I got to start somewhere!!

Offline Bruiser

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Rookie Basics?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2013, 04:08 PM »
Go get yourself a hand auger. Bringing an ice pick to a lake or pond is like bringing a toothpick to a gun fight. Best bet is to find yourself someone that knows what they are doing and have them take you out once. You'll learn a whole lot more than what you think you know about ice fishing. Plus, it's the safer route.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2013, 04:16 PM »
Also an ice pick will make a lot of noise and scare fish away.

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2013, 04:33 PM »
I fished fairly close to a guy that opened a hole with an ax.  Fish didn't seem to mind I was catching them while watching him sweat. 

Offline phisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2013, 04:51 PM »
Like Bruiser said, go with a friend that has some experience and gear.  At the very least get a hand auger, the smaller the better, 5" or 6" will be plenty to get panfish out, and it will be easier on you when drilling.  A shack will get you out of the wind, keeps your line from blowing around, and keeps your hole from freezing over.  Jigs and waxies should be fine for crappie and gills.  If you get a chance to use a flasher, game over, welcome to the sickness...  You'll never want to go again without a flasher.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2013, 12:58 PM »
apdenk, If you wanna get out pm your #. I live on the south side of des moines and will be willing to help you guys get out.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline finnywarrior

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2013, 01:16 PM »
My first time was with long ulta-lite rods and an axe on Crystal Lake in Dewitt Ia 30+ years ago. Look kinda stupid until other guys with augers showed up, but we caught fish and had fun. Now I'm pulling a sled with a heater, power auger, locator and a chair. Still catching fish and loving it. The important thing is getting out there. Don't invest a lot at first in case you don't find it fun. Auger and a bucket is what I'd ask Santa for. Watch ebay for other guys who are retiring from ice fishing. Some of their stuff is ok.

Offline crappiiguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2013, 01:16 PM »
Fishing crappies without a flasher can be tough as they usually are found suspended in the water column.   I would take some small minnows and dead stick a minnow on your second rod. I would start out fishing 3-4' off the bottom and move up a foot or so at a time until you find fish.  Early morning and the last hour of daylight are prime time for crappies on most bodies of water.  Bluegills might be easier as they can be caught 1' off the bottom.  you should be able to open old holes with a spud bar if they are not too old.  Good luck.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2013, 02:07 PM »
Oh boy! You need some direction. Get yourself a $35 6" hand auger. You could drill 20 holes before punching a hole with a spud. The only thing you may not be able to pull up the 6" hole in central Iowa might be a catfish. 6" is more efficient hand drilling than 8. I agree with above. Try to find someone to go that experienced to show you the ropes.

If you can travel, I recommend going to Clear Lake & yanking some yellows. They taste great & are abundant. Quality-wise pretty close to a crappie. Clear Lake is about as easy a place to ice fish you'll find, especially if you are new & without electronics. Good luck!

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2013, 02:54 PM »
If you don't have someone to show you the ropes.   Look for the crowds    Fish near em.   And don't be afraid to ask     I know most of us guys are always ready to help out . Good luck and be safe ...

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2013, 02:56 PM »
You could always walk up to a fisherman and ask to borrow his auger or have him cut you a couple of holes. See if you like ice fishing before spending all the $ on it. Just an idea.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2013, 02:57 PM »
actually right now Lake Cornelia NE of Clarion is  better & a little closer  fish about straight out from boat ramp & bridge on north shore

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2013, 02:59 PM »
forgot to add 9" of ice yesterday

Offline hawkfan24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2013, 03:13 PM »
Go on Des Moines's craiglist and search for hand auger or ice fishing, there were a few used hand augers on there that may be decent deals for a beginner.  If you are serious enough about ice fishing in the future I'd recommend getting a used strikemaster lazer hand auger if you can find one in your budget.  Good luck!  Have fun!

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2013, 05:47 PM »
By the way apdenk welcome to the site and as you can see you found a lot of help already.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.