Author Topic: Night Ice Fishing for Walleye ?  (Read 4980 times)

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
Night Ice Fishing for Walleye ?
« on: Dec 17, 2013, 06:25 PM »
 Anyone planning on Night Ice Fishing for Walleye ?  I am coming over the border from Rhode Island and will tape the trip for a future show, Wayne

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Night Ice Fishing for Walleye ?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2013, 06:36 PM »
a soon as we get ice will be going to beach , gardners or mashapaug lake. Feel free to join us nite guys.

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2013, 06:39 PM »
When Squantz has ice i will be going at least once a week in the evening if anyone is interested.

Offline Jfishermann

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2013, 06:40 PM »
why do you guys ice fish for walleye at night?? with 6 inches of ice and a few inches of snow on top doesnt it make the water underneath black?? Im curious, in all seriousness.

Offline ftwchopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2013, 06:45 PM »
Im curious also....Ive never seen a walleye caught in local lakes.

Offline Jfishermann

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2013, 06:50 PM »
i went for walleye once during the day caught 5, with snow cover, it makes me wonder what difference the night makes?

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2013, 06:52 PM »
It is a lot of info on this species but to make it easy they feed in the evening.

Offline Jfishermann

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2013, 06:53 PM »
hm, that makes since, but how do they tell its evening, if its pitch black?

Offline care sec

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2013, 06:57 PM »
Fished many nights at Coventry for walleye with awesome results  :tipup: :tipup: never had much luk during the day for them  ??? ???

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2013, 06:59 PM »
hm, that makes since, but how do they tell its evening, if its pitch black?

they wear Rolex

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2013, 06:59 PM »
I think we're gonna have more company this year! There are only a handfull of walleye lakes in CT where you can icefish, four have already been mentioned, Coventry is another. Walter has been stocked in at least one other icefishing lake but most won't be legal size until next year.

Walleyes are notorious for being first light/last light feeders, look at the glowing eyes-made just for low light conditions. Many times there will be a bite at 12:00-2:00 am or thereabouts. You can catch them on tipups with a shiner or on jigs. Sometimes they do bite well during the day and some lakes are daylight lakes. Hey, it's fishing. :) :tipup:

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2013, 07:23 PM »
Sun light still gets thru the ice when snow is on the ice it's not pitch black down there unless its night
Go big or go home

Offline ftwchopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2013, 08:32 PM »
Bigalow Hollow has walleye from what I understand.....I may just give it a shot one night this season

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2013, 06:38 AM »
Fishing for Waldo is becoming much more popular.Low light conditions are best,Water clarity,is a big factor,crystal clear lakes should be fished in low light conditions.One other mistake that is made by fisherman,having a white light flashlight,it scares the fish,a green or red light works best.Lights on your tip ups that signal you have a bite,can be seen from far away.It is also best to go with someone who knows the lake and the structure in it. I for one can not wait for the first night outing for waldo. Set up and drill holes about 3 pm,drink beer,turn on heater,be verwey, verwey quiet.

Offline WILLYTROUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2013, 06:47 AM »
I ran into a dep guy at bigelow a couple of years ago. he said a couple of walters get in from mashapaug during high water thru the steam that connects them. But they are rare and not introduced to bigelow.
i would'nt waste my time targeting them there. but you never know. just when i write this someone is going to bag one.

wt

Offline jeffch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2013, 06:50 AM »
A night trip for walleye is definitely on my to do list this year. I have never tried it before. Do most of you guys set up in the afternoon and stay all night, or is there a magical hour when bites usually stop and it is time to leave?

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2013, 07:17 AM »
Some guys fish all day and into the night,most walleye fisherman set up in the late afternoon and fish the evening hrs. or stay till first light then go home. I wish our state would stock some lakes that the walleye can reproduce in.Saltenstall,you have to stop fishing in Nov. and not start up till April,no ice fishing at all.Batterson park pond, no ice fishing,paugatipaug, privet lake,you need to know someone who lives there.Now you take NY state with its hatcheries, stock  hundreds of thousands of walleye every yr.Oneida lake one of the top producing walleye lakes in the eastern US.The walleye challenge at great sacandaga,is an event not to be missed,gives away $1650 per hr. 1750 entrants. The only walleye challenge we have here is its a challenge to catch one. Ct. loves collecting our money but does not do much in return.Never was very outdoorsman friendly. :tipup:

Offline BassOn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 18, 2013, 07:57 AM »
I icefished onieda last year for the first time and had a blast.  Cant wait till it freezes to get back up abd do it again.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2013, 08:17 AM »
The siren call of Oneida.........walleye ...........walleye.... .Two weeks and time to go.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2013, 08:40 AM »
Eiderz It looks like we are going to Oneida,and meeting up with a few guys,Only a month away to the challengeand sunday on Oneida.hopefully we can make it out to the northeast end of our state before we go.I'm just finishing up shelacing all my heritage tip ups, I have not sealed them in a few yrs.Looks like we may have a nice long season

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2013, 09:48 AM »
You are making me feel guilty Octane. I have Calamity Bob hooked up right now, first icefishing trip in one hour. Not so guilty that I'm not gonna go, however. ;D

Hoping for a trip to Oneida in two weeks, weekend after the 1st. They are already on Big Bay and the main lake is mostly, if not entirely, locked right now. :thumbsup:

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2013, 11:19 AM »
good luck today

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2013, 11:50 AM »
When Squantz has ice i will be going at least once a week in the evening if anyone is interested.
I want in on that jammer have you made it up to the adks yet?
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2013, 07:54 PM »
Your in perchface, Im heading to the Adirondacks Dec 26th-30th (5 days of drilling) cant wait.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.