New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Biggert-Waters Flood Insurance Reform Act of 2012  (Read 454 times)

Offline LittleBay

• IceShanty Rookie
Biggert-Waters Flood Insurance Reform Act of 2012
« on: Dec 17, 2013, 01:45 PM »
I live on Oneida lake in a small cottage less than 1000 square feet. We are by no means wealthy just lower middle class working folks. I got screwed by my mortgage company I have my flood insurance in escrow and they failed to pay the bill of $1400.00 which in turn made my policy lapse. Under the new guidelines I now have to pay the actuarial rate instead of being phased in over several years at the tune of $6184.00  :cookoo:. We cannot afford that and will lose the house because of this, who's gonna buy the property and pay that much for flood insurance. I might have to just walk away.  :-[ I don't see how they expect people to pay these increased rates.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Biggert-Waters Flood Insurance Reform Act of 2012
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2013, 03:03 PM »
Sorry to hear your problem LittleBay. Before you throw in the towel, please consider the following.

I'm in CT right on the coast where many homes got clobbered by Sandy last year, and the storm in 2011 which I can't remember the name of. I also own a civil engineering/land survey company, one of our services is producing FEMA flood certificates which are used by insurance companies to determine premiums. Have you had a flood certificate done recently? It is possible (I stress possible) that the premium will be reduced depending on the specifics of your homes construction in relation to the flood hazard zone where you live.

In the last two years we have seen extreme examples where premiums go from $500/year to $4,000/month. Yes, $4,000/month, obviously those people had to pay off the mortgage or leave. We have also seen a few where, absent a flood certificate, the premiums had been determined by putting the house in the highest risk category. When a flood certificate was subsequently produced and the house was not in the highest risk group, the premium was reduced. Your $6,000 premium sounds a pretty high to me unless the house is right a lake level, perhaps they get a lot of ice damage claims? The feedback we get from clients is that most premiums around here are in the $1,500-$2,500/year range, this for relatively high value structures.

Best of luck to you.

Offline LittleBay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2013, 04:13 PM »
Thanks eiderz I'm having an elevation survey done this week and will see what the result will be but I'm not feeling all warm and fuzy about the outcome I need to be under $2000 in order to stay, we will have to see.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2013, 04:30 PM »
Thanks eiderz I'm having an elevation survey done this week and will see what the result will be but I'm not feeling all warm and fuzy about the outcome I need to be under $2000 in order to stay, we will have to see.

Keeping my fingers crossed here.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.