Author Topic: Tricks to avoid tangled rods  (Read 2755 times)

Offline bmaher287

• IceShanty Rookie
Tricks to avoid tangled rods
« on: Dec 17, 2013, 01:06 AM »
Anyone have any tricks to keep their lines from tangling in a soft rod case? I like to pre-tie my jigs on before I leave so I can be ready right when I get to the lake. Also, I use spring bobbers and they can be a pain to thread if outside in the cold and wind. I usually use double jig rigs so they usually have two jigs on them. Does anyone have anything they do to prevent rods from tangling? Or does anyone have any good ideas I should try? Thanks for any input guys. Also, if anyone is willing to post pics of their rod bags/setup that would be great.

Offline kevin1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tricks to avoid tangled rods
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2013, 05:05 AM »
Get some golf club tubes (thrift store / goodwill are good places to look ) cut them to the needed length, fasten a rubber band on one end and tape the other end up, slide the tube down the rod and loop the rubber band around the reel handle to keep it in place. i don't even hook my jig to the rod anymore
hope this helps

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2013, 06:19 AM »
b...
 Pick up a stick or two of foam pipe insulation. My ice rods have  small guides, so I used the 3/4". Cut to the length of the rod. On the opposite end, cut a slit as long as it is to the forward reel seat. Slip this over the rod and use a twist tie instead of a rubber band to hold the end closed. I find them a lot easier to handle in the cold. As far as the jigs are concerned...I put a piece of tinfoil around the jig and rod and wrap them tight. Never had a problem with tangled lines. Good Fishing!
Ski
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2013, 06:21 AM »
I pre tie all my drop shot rigs (2-3 hook rigs) with a small loop on one end.I tie a small snap hook on the end of the line on my reel. I use pcv tubes for each rod and a tackle tamer to wrap my drop rigs around.Simply unroll your pre tied rig from the tackle tamer,clip the loop onto the snap hook on your line and your ready to go.One note,I have several different hook/ jig set ups on the tackle tamer,quick and easy,no tangles.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2013, 06:39 AM »
I use "Rod Slicks" from clam. They are long enough to put my rods in with spring bobbers attached.
jbird68

Offline Jeff in WI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2013, 07:30 AM »
X2 for rod slicks. First year I've used them and they work great!

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2013, 08:26 AM »
I tried the rod slicks a few years back and found that the hook was always getting snagged on them.  Maybe a combination the of the foil over the jig idea and the rod slicks would work well.

Q

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2013, 08:29 AM »
i use the foam things you putover your water pipes

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2013, 08:31 AM »
Put each rod inside a pice of PVC pipe and then put them in the case.

Offline pimplejigger84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2013, 08:52 AM »
I use an old trick that I learned from some seasoned pros while fishing bass tournaments. Take your jig and hook it onto the hook holder near your reel. Reel up slack so line is tight, but not so tight as it is putting a bow in your rod. Reach up the line about halfway between jig and tip of rod and grab with two fingers. Now, wrap this around about three or four times times or so and when you let it go, "snap" it to one of the guides. This eliminates loose line as it is now tightly wrapped around your rod blank. When ready to use again, just unhook and a twirl of the rod and it will release and you're ready to go!

I use this trick for ice fishing and open water and it has virtually eliminated all tangles between rods. When fishing bass tournaments I am a co-angler so I have to carry all my rods together from one place to another. I usually carry 4-6 rods depending on the body of water, time of year, bite etc. For ice I have 4 or 5 combos that I carry in a soft sided case and when this trick is applied they don't tangle.

For rods with spring bobbers (I use the HT Marmooska spring bobbers which have about a 1/4" hole at the end) when I am done I just take my jig and pull it through the spring bobber before I hook it onto the hook holder.

Edit: Here's a link I just found for a visual:

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2013, 09:33 AM »
Fleet Farm has 6 in. Velcroe strips that I use. I wrap it around the line at the front of the handle. Works good for me.
Oops! is too late.

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2013, 09:34 AM »
I use my kids old baby socks... cut the toes out and just slip it to the middle of the rod.... kinda the same aspect of spining the line around the blank
Cacth them by day, fillet them by night.

Tinker

« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2013, 11:19 AM »
I use an old trick that I learned from some seasoned pros while fishing bass tournaments. Take your jig and hook it onto the hook holder near your reel. Reel up slack so line is tight, but not so tight as it is putting a bow in your rod. Reach up the line about halfway between jig and tip of rod and grab with two fingers. Now, wrap this around about three or four times times or so and when you let it go, "snap" it to one of the guides. This eliminates loose line as it is now tightly wrapped around your rod blank. When ready to use again, just unhook and a twirl of the rod and it will release and you're ready to go!

I use this trick for ice fishing and open water and it has virtually eliminated all tangles between rods. When fishing bass tournaments I am a co-angler so I have to carry all my rods together from one place to another. I usually carry 4-6 rods depending on the body of water, time of year, bite etc. For ice I have 4 or 5 combos that I carry in a soft sided case and when this trick is applied they don't tangle.

For rods with spring bobbers (I use the HT Marmooska spring bobbers which have about a 1/4" hole at the end) when I am done I just take my jig and pull it through the spring bobber before I hook it onto the hook holder.

Gonna have to try this one, dang simple, why didn't I think if that!

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2013, 11:25 AM »

That is what I do with my bass rods.

Offline bmaher287

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2013, 12:01 PM »
Thanks for all the ideas guys. As a short term solution I just folded and stapled index cards to cover the jigs and help keep the line in check. It looks tacky as hell but it will work for now untill I can try some of the things you guys have done.

Offline BuckyBadger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2013, 12:50 PM »

x2,   I was slow to learn this trick until a few years ago and it works great, including ice rods in the bag.

Offline fish8mybait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2013, 01:29 PM »
I'm all about the rod slicks too. I keep all my rods in a 5 gallon bucket together and always had tangle problems. No more. NOTE: This works great with marmooskas and other small single hook jigs. DO NOT USE IF YOU ARE USING TREBLES!

Offline Handy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2013, 01:42 PM »
I too use the rod slicks but even though the tag with them says wont catch hooks they still do. I have used the line wrapped around the rod trick on my summer rods never thought about applying it to ice rods, great idea.

Paul

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.