Author Topic: Crappie tip downs for trout ?  (Read 2038 times)

Offline twintrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin for dinner
Crappie tip downs for trout ?
« on: Dec 16, 2013, 05:11 PM »
Anyone ever use crappie tip downs for trout fishing ?? Just a thought. Im new to trout under the ice. Any advise is appreciated !

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Crappie tip downs for trout ?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2013, 05:36 PM »
 Larger trout if your using a rod/reel mounted tipdown keep your drag somewhat loose. What kind of tipdown do you use?

Offline twintrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin for dinner
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2013, 05:55 PM »
Only one lake around me that has "stocked trout".  I use a homade style. Its kinda like a tripod but with a old fashiond. rodnreel. ( stick kind not mini open water type)

Do trout nibble and tug or Snatch and run ???     like i said never fished thru the ice. And i dont think i can set my tip ups light enuf for them.

If anyone has a simple setup i could duplicate id like to hear about it..... ( pics :-)  )

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:38 PM »
Can't advise you much on tip downs,but have caught many trout through the ice.Trout are like anything else,one may hit hard,the next nibble.I dead stick mostly,and use spring bobbers or hang a traditional round bobber from the line.When a fish bites,the hanging bobber jiggles as the fish takes the bait,the slack in the line lifts the bobber indicating a fish is running with the bait,when this happens,grab the pole from the rod holder and set the hook.Tip downs aren't that much different than dead sticking,the whole rod tips down when a fish is tickling or taking the bait.

Offline twintrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin for dinner
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:47 PM »
Yea i just didnt want to have a trout SMASH my setup and take the rod down the hole........

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2013, 07:02 PM »
Er, a, um, Twintrades, Have you seen "Crappie Guy's tip Downs" ?  Lots of valuable info there, one of which is a short line, tying the pole to the tipdown.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=18760.msg159782#msg159782

Offline twintrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin for dinner
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2013, 07:19 PM »
Yea i havent done that yet.......... My kid ( 4yrs old) Likes to hook them and run backwards with it over your her head. LOL

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2013, 08:15 PM »
Twintrades, that's a priceless vision, and knowin she's havin fun.   Um, maybe tether her short to the hole, ha.    ;)2

Offline twintrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin for dinner
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2013, 08:27 PM »
Bahahhaha!!

Offline Gimper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2013, 11:24 PM »
Twintrades,

I know the lake (both the lakes) you might be talking about. Leave the tip downs in the bucket if you plan on keeping them. Those trout are a smash, grab and go type affair. Tip ups with 2-4lb flouro leaders with #14-16 trebles set 1/3 off the bottom will work but haul it to the tip up when the flag pops. The fish will either drop it quickly or be gut hooked within seconds after the take. You'll know if you got them if the T-bar is spinning like a top.

Offline twintrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin for dinner
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2013, 09:25 AM »
Yep gimper you know where im goin  ;)

Thanks for the help! Ill have them set close to me for sure. What works good for bait? I was thinking Small rosie reds on the tip ups and a Magg/Waxie for giggin the marmish ?

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2013, 02:56 PM »
Er, a, um, Twintrades, Have you seen "Crappie Guy's tip Downs" ?  Lots of valuable info there, one of which is a short line, tying the pole to the tipdown.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=18760.msg159782#msg159782

Yes they will work for Trout, but use the safety line, a lot of people don't like to use it.  After a Pike, Walleye, Bass or Trout pulls your pole down the hole you will start using it.  Trust me I know first hand.  If you are looking for Tip Downs shoot me a PM.

We changed the design and now connect the pole to the frame with eye screws and a snap lock.

Offline Gimper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2013, 02:27 AM »
I was up on a lake in Vilas Co. on Friday for trout. It was Brown Trout so Med. Fatheads on the tip ups and a Lindy Darter on the jig stick. (Ice was only 4-5 inches, BTW. Be careful out there) If I was going after 'Bows it would be Crappie minnows on the tip ups and Waxies on tiny jigs (#14-16) on the jig stick. I'll run a #2 spinner above the split shot on the tip ups in either pink or chartreuse. Chartreuse for stained or deep water or pink for clear water.

Offline twintrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin for dinner
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2013, 09:35 AM »
Thanks crappie guy. Where you located ?

And We have 12+ here now thanks to this cold crap......

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2013, 10:42 AM »
Thanks crappie guy. Where you located ?

And We have 12+ here now thanks to this cold crap......

Eau Claire.  I will be out hitting hard this weekend with the warmer temps finally

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.