Author Topic: Why do ice guys seem to keep everything? Including game fish?  (Read 9227 times)

Offline icehog92

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Why do ice guys seem to keep everything? Including game fish?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 16, 2013, 08:26 AM »
I will keep all gills during ice season.  This is because in the summer I am to busy enjoy the boating and don't have time to summer fish. 

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #31 on: Dec 16, 2013, 08:35 AM »
The OP lost me when he claims people are going out and catching and keeping 100 day after day.  That simply does not happen.  Most guys have jobs and don't fish every day.  Been doing this for over 35 years and can count on 1 hand with fingers left over the number I times I have been able to keep 100 keeper fish myself.  Alot of times when you see that number it is 2 or more guys combined catches.  For example the one yesterday in the rubbermaid container was 2 guys, so 50 each.  I don't fish all day like alot of people do, but I rarely see catches of 75-100 fish, unless they are keeping alot of marginal keepers.  As long as they are within the law and they are using the catch, I have no issues, but a 25 fish limit on gills would be nice to see in IN, to see the gill sizes would get larger.

Offline Ranger482v

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 16, 2013, 08:47 AM »
Lakes are fine I put up thousands a year. DNR keeps a watchful eye on what's going on. The big lakes anymore don't even get pressured like the old days. Take the lake James chain for instance. Old days plenty of fishermen now days speed boats and cruiser toons. Handful of people fish it in the soft water season.  Kids to busy on the xbox to go fishing so it's a dying sport for sure. Plus majority of people like me do it for fun socialization meeting new people.  Plenty of times I give fish to other guys that can't make it out anymore due to health or age. It's all good. Some days I just try out new ice bug creations.  Other days I'll pound out bucket fulls.
James gets pounded pretty hard from the time the ice leaves until late fall I get down there often and see plenty of fishing boats don't care if someone keeps bass if they choose to do so but keeping them over 2lbs to me is like eating a carp but that's just my opinion.

Offline Ranger482v

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 16, 2013, 08:51 AM »
Tourney fishermen hate when people keep bass because it is about making money to them. I have seen tourney fishermen let bass go that float away belly up. How is that conservation. I would rather see people eat them than let them go to the turtles.
I fish a whole lot of tournaments every year and if a fish dies someone will take it home most of the time tournament fisherman are some of the most conservation minded outdoors people you'll meet most are anyways but you have bad apples per say in every group of people no matter what ;)

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 16, 2013, 08:54 AM »
Well, I will say fish through the ice are much better than summer fishing.  Bass, crappie are a lot more firmer meat. I did get a funny comment once out on Summit lake. The gills shut off so I started jigging and within 15 min I caught 5 or 6 bass. One being about 3 lbs. I threw all back. Some old man was watching me and came over and said " why in the heck are you throwing all them back?"  I just laughed and said "junk fish"   he shook his head and walked away. 

I dont like cleaning a lot of gills, so I am very picky on what I keep.
Gator Nation

Offline bigwillie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 16, 2013, 09:20 AM »
I don't want to clean 100 gills, but I guess some people do.  Personally I think 25 is plenty for anyone.  I don't keep any fish in the summer, so I do tend to keep more in the winter or spring when the water is cold.

Offline libo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 16, 2013, 10:02 AM »
I'm still soft water fishing for walleyes, so i don't have a dime in it   right now. i will be on the ice by jan 1, I would also like to see IN go to a 25 limit on gills. never thought i would get used to a 15 limit on lake perch, but i have.  the older i get the less fish i want to clean.  lol

Offline TipUp67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 16, 2013, 10:11 AM »
I only keep fish in the winter, mainly gills, crappie, eyes and perch.  Bass only if it is 14 or 15, but rarely.  Wife and kids love the fish from winter and I don't have time to clean in summer or late spring, so winter is restock time.  Agree would like to see a 25 bag on gills.

Offline Timfishing43

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 16, 2013, 10:24 AM »
I admin I keep a lot of fish during the hard water season but that is because I don't own a bot and don't do much fishing during the soft water season. so I like to keep my freezer stocked up for the summer win I get a craving for fish. :tipup:

Offline chevy88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 16, 2013, 10:25 AM »
Only keep musky and trout
Liberal Paradise:
-Everyone Treated Equal
-Free Food
-Free medical / healthcare
-Only police and guards have guns

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 16, 2013, 10:27 AM »
Controversial subject for sure. I like to keep fish during the ice season to eat year round.  With that being said I try to keep enough so that my family can eat 3 meals a month.  I package the fish so that I have the appropriate amount per meal.  But, also i typically keep around 20 fish an outing or so (assuming I can catch that many), just because that is about as many as I feel like cleaning in one session.  I also like to fish a number of different lakes and rarely fish one day in and out.  But, to each his own.  As has been mentioned I don't worry too much about other's so long as their in the reg's. 

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #41 on: Dec 16, 2013, 11:10 AM »
I keep millions of fish in the winter. They're in the basement of my ice shanty and you guys keep taking them!

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 16, 2013, 11:12 AM »
I usually keep everything all the time not just winter. I got alot of mouths to feed.

Offline chevy88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Dec 16, 2013, 11:31 AM »
what's so controversial about staying within the regs?? sounds more to me people trying to tell others what to do with their fish....same with guns on ice, once again people trying to tell others what to do even if they are within their rights....
Liberal Paradise:
-Everyone Treated Equal
-Free Food
-Free medical / healthcare
-Only police and guards have guns

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 16, 2013, 11:52 AM »
As soon as the science of cloning is perfected, the perch will be in big trouble!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 16, 2013, 11:57 AM »
LMAO  So True and I'm ready ;D
Tom

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Dec 16, 2013, 12:00 PM »
what's so controversial about staying within the regs?? sounds more to me people trying to tell others what to do with their fish....same with guns on ice, once again people trying to tell others what to do even if they are within their rights....

I don't think this topic is any different than a host of other subjects. Just because something is legal does not make it immune from discussion and opinion. And where there's opinion, controversy soon follows. That's how things get accomplished, and/or changed. I believe the free exchange of information is the first step.

Offline Fishinfool85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 16, 2013, 12:34 PM »
Just saw this ! Ill tell you what i think... Mind ur own business and also an ediot un my book !!! Like to say more but i wont !!!!

Offline JPjunkie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP ON KEEPIN ON
« Reply #48 on: Dec 16, 2013, 12:36 PM »
Just saw this ! Ill tell you what i think... Mind ur owb busnise and ur an ediot un my book !!! Like to say more but i wont !!!!
Man he got you so mad you cant spell ;D ;D

Offline Fishinfool85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 16, 2013, 12:41 PM »
Man he got you so mad you cant spell ;D ;D

Boy yes he did !! Couldnt type fast enough !!

Offline Harley Hogger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Dec 16, 2013, 01:26 PM »
There will be thousands of fish taken out of area lakes today. Some people will do this with a gun in their pocket. Everyone who holds a IN. fishing license and abides by the rules can take whatever they want as long as its legal. I go on the ice planning to keep a hundred bluegill each time I go, if I catch five legal bonus bass I keep those too. If I give them all away or eat them in one sitting, as long as I caught them legally, ITS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS, what I do with them,  :tipup: Ok ladies, put your big girl pants on and go catch some FEEEESH!!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #51 on: Dec 16, 2013, 01:29 PM »
as long as its legal who cares.   I always love seeing people up in arms when someone keeps a fish like a big pike.  They are delicious!   Now, if you are breaking the laws in keeping fish, then we are going to have a problem.  just ask the two older gentlemen i caught keeping fish in a hudson river backwater (C&R regs) last year...

Offline Fishinfool85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 16, 2013, 01:32 PM »
There will be thousands of fish taken out of area lakes today. Some people will do this with a gun in their pocket. Everyone who holds a IN. fishing license and abides by the rules can take whatever they want as long as its legal. I go on the ice planning to keep a hundred bluegill each time I go, if I catch five legal bonus bass I keep those too. If I give them all away or eat them in one sitting, as long as I caught them legally, ITS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS, what I do with them,  :tipup: Ok ladies, put your big girl pants on and go catch some FEEEESH!!

Said perfectly brotha !!

Offline I Walton

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 16, 2013, 01:52 PM »
For me a limit is about 6 as that is all I want to clean. Sometimes if the bite is good I keep 12 and give 6 to a neighbor who likes to eat fish. As long as you follow the law and clean and eat what you catch I can't complain. When fisherman leaves a bunch of small fish to die on the ice well that is enough to make a preacher cuss! 

Offline Fishinfool85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Dec 16, 2013, 02:18 PM »
I gree with you on that ! Makes me sick to waist fish like that !! Same as some one to poach deer and leave it. I was always taught if u kill it u eat it !!

Offline jcindiana

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Dec 16, 2013, 02:26 PM »
Well Iam on a diet so I only keep 2 eight inch bluegills or 1 ten inch crappie. Doc said that's all the fish I need a year....LOL whatever who cares what you keep or I keep just SHUT UP AND FISH... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Dec 16, 2013, 02:27 PM »
As long as you stay with in the law I don't care what you keep . But if you Keep them you need to use them .

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Dec 16, 2013, 02:52 PM »
It's a shame that this board oftentimes struggles to have an intelligent, productive discussion without having to resort to insults and name calling. There always seems to be those few who interpret any opinion other than their own as a personal affront, no matter the topic. I'm sure I could learn a thing or two from a reasonable exchange of ideas.

Offline Bronzeback5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Dec 16, 2013, 03:05 PM »
hit the ice and have these discussions with the people you are talking about, see how that fares for you.

Offline Gotta_Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Dec 16, 2013, 03:25 PM »
In a lot of ways, I have to agree with the op.  If you have mouths to feed, that's one thing.  I do think a lot of people do it because they can.  I wonder how many frozen, frost covered fish get thrown away.  I catch and release over 90% of what I catch.  And probably 99% of game fish.  What gets me is the pinheads that complain about how good the fishing USED to be.  Then they keep everything they catch day after day, and sit on the beds until they've cleaned every fish they can find out during spawning season.  Then complain about how good the lake used to be.   So flame away....  If we don't respect the resource, then don't complain when the fishing sucks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.