Author Topic: sticky thermo tip ups  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Tip-UpTommer

• Team IceShanty Regular
sticky thermo tip ups
« on: Nov 30, 2005, 08:23 PM »
I have a few thermo tip ups, the round ones that cover the hole and keep it from freezing over. well they do a good job at keeping the hole thawed out but they dont like to spin when it gets real cold. its like the shaft freezes inside of the sleeve that its in. does anyone have any suggestions one what i could do to prevent it from freezing/sticking? thanks.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: sticky thermo tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2005, 10:20 PM »
Do a search here because some guys last year made up a rig for getting the shaft lubed.
Please don't quote me but think they used White lithium grease and figured out a way to squeeze it down the tube. I also think Jack traps have a hole in the tube under the holders to get them greased.
I think I would avoid stuff like WD 40 and the like and figure out a way to get grease down the tubes.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline UncleFluffy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: sticky thermo tip ups
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2005, 07:07 AM »
A couple of different manufacturers like Frabill make a lube just for this.  I know that with the Frabill insulated tipups, you hold onto the spool in one hand and firmly pull on the black spinner on top and the spinner comes off.  This allows you to pull out the shaft and add fair amount of lube.  Frabill might even have better instructions on their website.  It's probably a good idea to do this to all you tipups at the end of each season.  This way, if there was any water trapped in the shaft, you won't have it sitting and rusting all summer long.  This lube also works well in your reels as it doesn't gunk up like other standard lubes.  Good luck.
Kent Vanderploeg

Put Them Back...Put Them All Back.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.