Author Topic: How does line get cut on the ice??  (Read 1128 times)

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
How does line get cut on the ice??
« on: Dec 14, 2013, 05:51 PM »
Ive seen a lot of posts about this phenomenon and honestly I can not say its ever happened to me?

What are you all using for tip up line and leader? I put new leaders on every year, 6 or 8lb….every year just to be safe…..Ive never had a leader break on me? Ive pulled plenty of hooks and had knots break on me, but the ice has never cut a line on me…so I'm just wondering do you all change out your leaders each year or using some cheaper brand line? I use segaur.

Again I'm just curious.

Thanks!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: How does line get cut on the ice??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2013, 05:54 PM »
I change mine each trip, use Seaguar as well, 6 lb. strictly on everything.happened to me the other day, only ever had it happen first ice on a jagged chisel hole edge when a fish bolts near the hole before you can play the line in a new direction, it's rare only happened a couple times but it does happen
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline NHSlabbinCabin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2013, 05:55 PM »
That's the excuse I use when I try to muscle them in & break them off

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2013, 05:56 PM »
That's the excuse I use when I try to muscle them in & break them off

Lol
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2013, 05:57 PM »
LOL thats what I would say too Mike if it were me! hahaha

Offline ledy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2013, 08:19 PM »
When ever I use light weight fluro (ex. 4lb) I have issues with cutting my line on the ice even when using expensive line.  Especially when you get that thin layer of ice on the top of the whole. I switched to mono and almost never have that problem. It drives my buddy crazy because I don't use Fluro, but I still seem to land fish and sleep better at night loosing less fish to cut lines. To be fair I now also have a small wooden stick I use it to clear the ice around the top of the whole before bring the fish in.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2013, 08:53 PM »
OK now you have me
Stressing. I used to use 6lb
Vanish when targeting bows.
 I was told by a few guys
Stealth is key and 4lb is better.
 I am using 4lb seagur now. Hoping
 To increase my catch rates.
Now you got me nervous. I use 4lb mono
On my ultralight rods and catch fish no problem.
Did I screw up putting 4lb on my tip ups?
Salmonemia

Offline DovaIceFisha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2013, 09:01 PM »
i have definetly had it happen, mostly in my earlier years on the ice, trying to horse the fish through the hole. the early ice will definetly do it and what has gotten me more then once is the ice refreezing. nowadays i clean out my holes atleast every 30 minutes to avoid it at all costs. i also make sure the fish is ready to come through the hole, i had a rainbow run on me 4 times today before he finally let me pull him through. but nevertheless i havemt had it happen in several years

Offline Surfcaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2013, 09:38 PM »
It almost happened to me today in jagged ice...using 4lb test...line sounded like a guitar string it was so tight...

Offline NHSlabbinCabin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2013, 06:32 AM »
OK now you have me
Stressing. I used to use 6lb
Vanish when targeting bows.
 I was told by a few guys
Stealth is key and 4lb is better.
 I am using 4lb seagur now. Hoping
 To increase my catch rates.
Now you got me nervous. I use 4lb mono
On my ultralight rods and catch fish no problem.
Did I screw up putting 4lb on my tip ups?

That's all I run is 4# fluro. You'll be fine, trust me

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2013, 06:42 AM »
If one were to remember that when hand lining a fish to keep the line in the center of the hole, regardless of drilled or chipped, and like someone stated, do not horse your fish, you more than likely will not have any issues.

A test for you fellas, take any pound leader and attached it to a stationary object from one end, then bring it taut with one hand. Now take a dry paper towel or tissue, squeeze it around the line and pull it back and forth......how long does it take for the line to snap and why?  Next time you go fishing, remember to always wet your knot or this test will be the result for "knot" doing so ;)

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2013, 06:44 AM »
Jinx
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2013, 07:06 AM »
 ::) ::) Berkley XL is all I use.     7' of 6lb  for my tipup leaders  and 4 lb on my panfish rods.  I change tipup leaders before season and again when I find ware or knots.   When I fish for pickerel or pike I just tie on a 10" snelled leader.   Keep it simple and as Ledi mentioned keep your holes cleaned out.   
Dick

Offline ledy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2013, 11:36 AM »
Yah, I probably do horse the fish a little though I try like heck not to, but I'm very much still in the learning process. Basically everything I have read has said to use light weight fluro (ex.4lb) for trout no question, and that's what I started out doing for years. I have even hear of some guys using 2lb fluro which blows my mind!! When I used fluro I tried everything to not cut or snap the line on the ice either on the top or bottom of the hole. A few times I have even stuck my arm down the hole to get my hand below the ice!! Yah I was never accused of being a genius, but I will do just about anything to not loose a fish once I hook up. Like I said earlier after losing a few good fish right at the hole including a tagged rainbow at the winni derby back when it mattered I switched to 6lb mono and even run 8lb sometimes. I fish with pipes18079 a lot and it literally pisses him off I use mono, but I can't remember the last time I cut a line on the ice or had a snapped line. By the way I retie my leaders every trip. I would like to think I'm getting better at bring the fish in so maybe in time my skill level will improve to the point I can use fluro, but for now mono works for me.  One other thing I would consider is whether your fishing a big lake like winni or a small trout pond. I historically catch much bigger rainbows on winni so I don't mind running heavy line. I took my boss to my fishing spot on winni for the winni derby about 3 years ago he caught the fish below on 10lb mono. yah, 10lb!! I thought he was crazy at the time but he caught this 3.7lb moster rainbow below. I have to think you would need to be really experienced to get that fish in on 2 or 4 lb fluro. I wouldn't have been right for weeks if I had an opportunity to catch a fish like this and lost it to a snapped line.

Bottom line is I would use the 4lb fluro and see how it works for you. If your losing a lot of fish at the whole than try the mono for a while till your skill level improves. That's basically what I'm doing. The whole goal is to get fish on the ice. I do a lot of tournament bass fishing and tons of guys are successful with nontraditional techniques. Its all about what work best for you sometimes.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2013, 11:50 AM »
Nice Looking BOW! I hear you about the non traditional techniques, I taught my old room mate how to fish and troll for trout, he developed his own "non traditional" techniques, he did everything I told him not to do, used 10lb mono to troll, bunch of fancy swivels with in line weights really exoctic stuff that was not stealthy at all. This guy still caught the trout and lots of them, I could never figure it out. I will continue to go stealthy as I prefer that but I guess its all in what your comfortable with. I feel ok using lighter line just have to be patient when they get near the hole I guess.
Salmonemia

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2013, 01:09 PM »
I only target big bass and pickerel and use 10lb grand slam flouro. No problems/ no change in quality or quantity of fish
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2013, 03:55 PM »
for tip ups, i stick with either 6-8 lb. vanish. i try to keep the line centered in the hole as i yank it up. as for jigging, i'll use at least an 8lb. test, either vainish or gold box berkley professional mono.
as for all my set ups, i like to use small barrel swivels and 3 feet of leader to prevent line twist. i like to change my lines prior to the start of lake trout season

Offline Swampdonkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Can't catch em from the couch.
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2013, 04:32 PM »
I run 2 or 4 lb floro. I havent had it happen but I do worry about it. Nothing more fun than tying a #14 hook onto 2# floro with cold hands. Stuff is about as thick as hair.

Offline perch boy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2013, 09:33 PM »
Hey Swampy,
Is that dipsy's Bob house you are using for an icon?

Offline sorelippin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2013, 07:45 AM »
6lb floro on everything for me.....never had ice break my line.  Only thing that usually does is a gator.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.