The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Spearing low visibility lakes  (Read 2478 times)

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
Spearing low visibility lakes
« on: Dec 14, 2013, 05:37 AM »
I'd like to hear anyone's tips for spearing low visibility waters. I have used the eggshell trick. I am not having issues with seeing the fish. They seem to glow yellow almost for the pike I have seen. I cannot make out the bottom in 5ft of water but can see the decoy if I take it down to the bottom. Just curious if the fish react differently to a decoy in murky waters. Should I incorporate sound such as a large rattle trap??  I have been running bright colors as opposed to dark.  I have cleaner lakes all around me, I just know of some nice northerns in the particular lake.
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline MJ1657

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Spearing low visibility lakes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2013, 08:12 AM »
Although super clear water is fun to sit on I have had some of my best luck in murky water. It seems like the fish are much less spooky when its murky. I like to use small fast reacting decoys in stained waters.
Know before you throw

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2013, 12:22 PM »
I've been told use larger decoys and leave them still and when you do move them you want a very slow action,

Offline crittrgittr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2013, 03:55 PM »
  I find running a faster action decoy works better for me, although I also let the decoy set longer between jigging reps.
  This allows the Pike a little more time to sneak in and seems to lessens the more frequent "Hit & Runs."

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2013, 05:39 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I have come to the realization as well, it's harder to have faith in a murky lake with the fact you cannot see any "life" below. We set up in two different locations today without any luck. Although the weather kept the fish pretty inactive as well. Sat til about noon and ran flags the entire time. Ended up with just a 22"on a tip up. Not going to give up just yet. I will keep moving and sitting. I'll get on some fish out of this lake eventually.
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2013, 11:31 AM »
I hate murky water. At the end of the day my eyes feel like I just got done driving 600 miles through a heavy rain.

We can't put anything in the water here. Years ago we would take a length of conduit and scatter shelled corn or slice potatoes and sink them. My Grandpa use to break up old dishes and throw them in the lake  ??? Times have changed.

Other than sitting in shallow water there isn't much to make it better.

WS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.