The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: This snow...  (Read 509 times)

Offline subtlehustle76

• Team IceShanty Regular
This snow...
« on: Dec 13, 2013, 05:30 PM »
So now that all the lakes are finally starting to cap off we're getting this snow.. Now... I forget... Does this generally hurt what ice is made? Does it trap heat and stop it from building thicker? I realize when there is open water it makes for crappy ice but what's the snows' effect when it has been capped off but still not safe. Does it prevent it from getting thicker or can it help?? Any experts on this topic????
"Nice bass thumb, wanna see my pickerel d!ck?"

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: This snow...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2013, 06:15 PM »
This snow couldn't have much worst timing. if we get several inches it will insulate the ice and prevent new ice from forming at anything but a snails pace. Also there will be a lot of guys out this weekend, so in addition to the driving woes the new snow will hide weak spot and newly formed ice. If the snow is wet or just deep it will force water out of holes and cracks creating additional hazards. Makes sure you spud and check as you go, and wear pics, carry a rope, etc. Be safe everyone!

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2013, 06:29 PM »
the snow will insulate the ice and generally slow the ice making down or in some cases stop making ice if the temps are borderline of the freezing point,also sometimes the snow will cause a layer of slush under the snow making it sloppy,this tends to happen with a wet heavy snow as over time the moisture will settle out of the snow(water runs downhill) and turn to slush the wetter the snow the more slush,dry snow on the other hand tends to blow off of the ice and build up towards shore larger lakes see this mostly,I remember trudging through 3 feet of snow on the shore of lake aerial and the farther from shore we got the less snow there was,if we get a wet heavy snow its not going to help with making ice on the lakes lets hope for the best

Offline caddy084

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2013, 10:21 PM »
My local forecast is calling for 10 to 15 mph winds, with gusts of 25 to 30 mph. Hope this will help minimize the snow cover on the ice. That's my hopes any way. This is one time I hope for some wind with this storm....

Offline ice4life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2013, 11:04 PM »
Anyone know how much ice is on Toby or Gouldsboro lake? If I go Tuesday, you think it will be safe on the ice w 6 inches of snow? I know it's callin for like 9+ inches in the poconos but w the wind, maybe less on the ice... You guys think its fine to go fishing with that much snow on like 4 to 5 inches of ice?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.