Author Topic: Split-Grip Ice Rods  (Read 4464 times)

Offline ddlpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
Split-Grip Ice Rods
« on: Dec 09, 2013, 06:48 PM »
Am I the only one that sees no purpose in these?  You really need a fighting butt?  If you see purpose in them, please enlighten me.

Offline frostbittin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Split-Grip Ice Rods
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2013, 07:32 PM »
It's not to help fight a fish with, it's really for looks. I just ordered a tucr quick tip with a split grip because i like the look.

Offline pokey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2013, 10:32 PM »
Split grips in general came about to help with weight balance on the rod. Plus they look cool.

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2013, 10:37 PM »
The original theory by Bob Bohland was that you could put that exposed blank section in the crevice between the thumb and pointer finger and feel the blank while pencil gripping the rod. Then one big name builder who makes pretty rods, took bobs idea big time and mass produced it. It had a point, now its just artsy.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2013, 12:27 PM »
about the only difference I can see is you may be able to feel the tick of the hit in the rod blank behind the reel if it's sensitive. i cracked up when i saw it at the store. i never got around to testing it as I have enough rods for 6 guys right now. the best way i've found for testing sensitivity is to put the rod tip on you throat & talk. if you can feel that, it will perform very well on the ice.

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2014, 10:45 AM »
Better then a split grip wich is better for making the rod lighter and looks is a split real seat were your hand is always on the blank.
With a reel seat like this you can detect every little touch. This is not really an option for an ice rod as the blank is just to thin. But for a regular open water rod they are real nice.

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2014, 02:42 PM »
Am I the only one that sees no purpose in these?  You really need a fighting butt?  If you see purpose in them, please enlighten me.
On an ice fishing rod... no purpose other than it "looks cool".

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2014, 05:17 PM »
On an ice fishing rod... no purpose other than it "looks cool".

Again. The whole purpose of a split grip it to shed weight from the over all build. Hence titanium components. When I do a build were weight is a concern I weigh all of my components on a jewelers scale and shed were i can.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2014, 05:34 PM »
Less weight, better feel in split grip, and looks cool. Probably serves no purpose at all if you hold your rod and jig "old school".

My next big rod purchase will be a TUCR 36" QT with the split grip eva.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2014, 05:33 PM »
Right now I have 3 TUCR rods - 2 Quick Tips and a Prec Noodle all 3 split grips. I'm not sold on the split grips as of yet. It could be that I'm running BB 6061's on all 3 and the balance of a rod with these reels SUCKS. It's like the whole rod wants to rotate out of your hand. I'm going to switch the 3 rods to spinning then make a decision on whether to keep them or go back to full cork. My all time favorite rod right now is my TB Power Noodle 32" with a Garcia 100U. Perfect balance !! Let us know how you like those EVA handles !!!
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2014, 05:52 PM »
Right now I have 3 TUCR rods - 2 Quick Tips and a Prec Noodle all 3 split grips. I'm not sold on the split grips as of yet. It could be that I'm running BB 6061's on all 3 and the balance of a rod with these reels SUCKS. It's like the whole rod wants to rotate out of your hand. I'm going to switch the 3 rods to spinning then make a decision on whether to keep them or go back to full cork. My all time favorite rod right now is my TB Power Noodle 32" with a Garcia 100U. Perfect balance !! Let us know how you like those EVA handles !!!
[/quote

Do you think a spinning reel will balance that much different then a 6061.

See again the split grip was really designed for bass rods to cut down on unnecessary components that add weight.

Putting a split on an ice rod really is just for looks as an unbalanced rod is sort of inevitable. The only way to balance it out would be to add weight in the butt.

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2014, 06:18 PM »
We'll find out Mike !! One other thing I like about full cork compared to split grip is being able to put your reel anywhere on the handle that feels comfortable to you. Not much option with a split grip. The TUCR rods are really nice rods and I like them...I think I just got the wrong handle for me anyway.
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2014, 11:27 PM »
I hope it works out so at least you can enjoy those rods as they do make nice stuff.

Offline realicehole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2014, 02:08 PM »
i just ordered a tucr with full cork instead of split i just feel like the full will be more comfortable on my hand when jiggin without gloves. its actually not cork its the new supposedly lighter stuff?

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2014, 03:26 PM »
EVA? if thats what your talking, its not new haha! Dont use the castration bands with this....

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2014, 03:36 PM »
EVA is the only other option. Its the "cheap" foam grips you see on lots of different rods. They call it the "new, lighter weight" to get more sales. Nothing against TUCR, I love those rods! Their EVA is the top of the line though, won't leave black crap on your hands or anything like that.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2014, 11:51 PM »
I don't, I like the classic one piece cork grip where the front screws in to lock the reel in place.  Maybe I'm old fashioned but the split grip looks goofy to me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.