The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Spearing out of a flip over?  (Read 676 times)

Offline icebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Spearing out of a flip over?
« on: Dec 08, 2013, 05:15 PM »
I would love to start pike spearing, but all I have is my flip over shanty. I've read a lot about the use of a flip over for pike spearing, but I really hate to leave a spear hole open after Im done spearing. My question is what would be the best way to mark a hole after I got done spearing? I really would hate to have someone fall into my hole after I left. Just wanted to get some in site on what other guys use when spearing out of flip over shanty.

Thanks,
Icebreaker

Offline Iceaddict12

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice drinking never disappoints.
Re: Spearing out of a flip over?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2013, 05:32 PM »
Not to encourage law breaking, but those little yellow flags that are over electrical lines work great, otherwise, take a pine tree from the back yard and stick it right into the hole, then when the ice melts, you have not only marked your hole, but also created a fish shelter.
"God gave light so we could fish in the dark."

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2013, 05:40 PM »
Piece of brush that will stick up 2-3 Ft when froze in

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2013, 07:22 PM »
Mark it with brush. Think ahead and find a suitable marker before heading onto the lake. I wouldn't use anything that will be considered litter come open water season. Reeds, Tree branches, pine limbs. All good choices. Beer bottles, plastic bags, propane tanks, not so good of a choice ::)
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline Stewballs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2013, 07:48 PM »
A 1x1x36" piece of pine lumber with the end painted orange(using the water soluable marker paint) works well, lugging awkward branches out with you is kind of a pain.  Also push the large ice hunks back in the hole before you leave so it locks back up quicker,  i recently switched to spearing out of a portable and like it a lot

Offline Dr Huxtable

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2013, 09:00 PM »
A 1x1x36" piece of pine lumber with the end painted orange(using the water soluable marker paint) works well, lugging awkward branches out with you is kind of a pain.  Also push the large ice hunks back in the hole before you leave so it locks back up quicker,  i recently switched to spearing out of a portable and like it a lot

You shouldn't push the ice blocks back in.  Leave them next to the hole to help mark it. 

Offline icebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2013, 09:02 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys. I think pushing the ice block back into the hole is a Great idea Id hate to see a snowmobiler hit one of those blocks flying across the ice. I hope to spear my first pike this year! shouldnt be to long now

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.