Author Topic: Tip ups for crappie  (Read 2895 times)

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
Tip ups for crappie
« on: Dec 08, 2013, 12:29 PM »
Does anyone have a favorite and what kind and size of line do you use?

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tip ups for crappie
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2013, 01:07 PM »
I use crappie rigs all the time catch anything from walleye and perch to crappie and pike.   I like the round insulated frabils

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2013, 03:14 PM »
I prefer tip-downs for Crappies.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2013, 05:45 PM »
So what brand of tip downs do you use and why do you prefer tip downs?    I haven't seen any before other than pics here.   

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2013, 06:02 PM »
crappie tend to drop the bait on tip-ups. a steelie slammer type rig would be better. we usually use slip bobber rigs with open bails. i like the tip down concept but never used them.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2013, 06:08 PM »
So what brand of tip downs do you use and why do you prefer tip downs?    I haven't seen any before other than pics here.   

Like mine most are home-made, here's a thread with examples and reasons why they are preferred. http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=260539.msg2678086#msg2678086

Note: there are other links on that thread and you can do another search for "tip downs" to find more information/pics.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline rabbittrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2013, 12:05 PM »
Set the tip up like you would for walleye/perch. Set it on the light setting side. I have caught many only a foot off the bottom using that way. Never had a problem with them dropping the bait.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2013, 09:31 PM »
For me I never did that well with Crappies on my tip up (Heritage), then I started using Quick Strike Rigs and was suddenly catch Crappies... I moved to NH for years and could not use the QSR and caught few crappies, but lost lots of bait... I am now back to MA and using QSR again and I am again getting Crappies (and lose very little bait)! If I was to target crappies on Tip ups, like others have said a tip down or the like sounds like the better choice...

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2013, 04:49 PM »
Gimme a jigging rod for crappie!
They bite lightly and drop bait on tip-ups in a heartbeat.
You may still catch one on a tip-up, but to improve your catch ratio you need a more active approach!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2013, 08:18 AM »
Ive caught plenty on tip-ups.  I use the plain cross stick no name brand, with 6 pound leader, and small to medium sized bait.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline FishADK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold Hands
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2014, 11:11 AM »
The lake I often fish only has large crappies but there aren't many. When I catch them I am using the normal rig I always use for bass and picks. Cross style tip up, tip up line, wire leader, and traditional bait holder hooks. Works for the few crappies there are. 
-DISCLAIMER-
Everything written above is entirely false. All posts were fabricated by analysing the posts of others. All pictures were stolen from the internet. I have never gone ice fishing in my life.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2014, 08:44 PM »
I too have had no issues using tip ups for crappie. I have started to set them about 6 feet down in 9-13 FOW and my catch ratio has sky rocketed. I used to set them about halfway down the water column, I know in some cases it would be half way down already but it has worked great since I have just done the 6 feet.

Use regular cross style with a small/medium shiner.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.