The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: The cold is here  (Read 3821 times)

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
The cold is here
« on: Dec 07, 2013, 08:42 AM »
Got down to minus -19F at my house last night, and right now is sitting at minus -17F at 8:40 am
It should be making ice now. I'm guessing what ever slush was on top of the ice is hard now.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: The cold is here
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2013, 08:49 AM »
lakes were still slushy as of yesterday. even with the -13 we had yesterday morn.  that snow is really hurting our ice. /sigh

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2013, 08:53 AM »
Hopefully todays cold will harden it up. Some of the big lakes here had so much slush it was wet all the way to the top of the snow, so the insulation effect shouldn't be much of a factor on those lake. I hope.

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2013, 01:17 PM »
Saw a pick up parked tight to shore at a boat landing today, and a hardside out on the lake towed by ATV. I have to get out and check ice soon, I'd bet close to 10" by monday.

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2013, 04:11 PM »
Still open lakes here around Madison. It's been plenty cold, just not still enough to keep the white caps off....grrrr

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2013, 10:08 PM »
Minus -22f right now 10:00 pm Saturday night. It's got to be making some good ice, what ever slush there was has to be frozen hard as a rock now. I'm checking about 4 lakes tomorrow for ice condition. Finally done clearing snow around the house and garage, as well as dealing with my firewood situation that all got buried also.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2013, 11:08 AM »
still slush on the lakes here in Nwisky....  thin layer of frozen slush, then a pocket of water, followed by 4-5 '' of ice here on a local lake.

that cold just hasnt been able to penetrate that layer of crap.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2013, 11:31 AM »
I will be out checking ice in a little bit I will report back. There is still hope, low temps, coming, Mon. -13, Tue. -16, Wed. -18, Thur. 0 for lows.

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2013, 07:40 PM »
Was at the cabin today (Chetek Area). Drove by the lakes and saw no one out fishing so I went and grabbed the auger and went out on Pokegama to drill a few test holes. I walked out and drilled a few holes 100-150 yards off shore...7" of good ice with 2-3" of hard frozen slush on top. Very surprised I didn't see more people out fishing. If I wasn't busy, I would have been out there. Might have even taken the 4 wheeler out.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2013, 01:16 PM »
Ok enough is enough I had minus -20F this morning and going down to minus -24f tonight. When it finally warms back up in the teens it will feel like summer. I did make it out on a local 600 acre lake Sunday there was no slush what so ever and to my surprise no  loose snow as I thought the thin ice made the lake flood the snow and it is hard as a rock. There were even 2 trucks out driving along the shore line on the ice. I bet along shore the ice is frozen solid right down to the bottom.

Offline Ty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2013, 02:13 PM »
Some of the bigger lakes up here that didn't freeze up until after we got that foot+ of snow are sitting around 8+ inches as of yesterday all the way across them because they didn't have any snow on them to insulate once the temps dropped.

I'm going to be out fishing in a t shirt during the heat wave this Friday when its supposed to be 18 above zero haha

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2013, 06:57 AM »
minus -30 this morning by my house. I'm not even going to try and start my truck to go to work until it warms up to -20.

Offline hookemhard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2013, 12:12 PM »
minus -30 this morning by my house. I'm not even going to try and start my truck to go to work until it warms up to -20.

I wouldn't either. -20 is OK, but -30 is just stupid!  ;D

Offline geekinsyde

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Love me some Panfish!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2013, 01:34 PM »
cold over here too....
Eskimo 949
Vexilar FL-18
Expedition Lexi Combo Rod/Reel
Strikemaster 2hp Tecumseh

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2013, 03:57 PM »
It still took me 3 hours to get my truck started. I ended up having to take the battery out and bring it inside the house to warm up and take a charge. This has been one kick ass winter so far. It never made it above zero today.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2013, 10:30 PM »
You know it's bad when I finally got the truck started about 9:30 am it had warmed up to -16 and felt warm.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2013, 08:23 AM »
Warm this morning only -22f. At least my truck started.

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2013, 03:27 PM »
It's getting ridiculous! I did go out fishing yesterday and it was a balmy 68 degrees inside my shack, sure glad I built it!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2014, 09:13 AM »
We had minus -28 again last night around 9 pm. yea this is getting old! Looks like Friday finally upper teens then a heat wave Saturday in the low 20's. But then Sunday back down to near minus -30 again for a low. On the bright side at least it hasn't snowed now for a few days. I had to go up on the roof yesterday and knock the ice off that was blocking the septic vent on top of the roof, I could smell sewer gas inside the house. I know 3 other people that had to do the same so far this winter.

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2014, 03:19 PM »
Looks like Fri and Sat I better get some fishing in, going to get ugly cold again after that.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2014, 03:59 PM »
The high temp for Monday minus -15 to minus -18 for a high!

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2014, 06:09 PM »
Gonna be brutal for the game on Sunday.  It will be warm in front of the TV though, hopefully it isn't blacked out. 
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2014, 08:40 PM »
Minus -20 already tonight at 8:30 pm. now calling for a low tonight minus -28 and starting to look bleak for Saturday now.
Saturday
Partly sunny. A 30 percent chance of light snow in the morning. Highs 11 to 16. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph. Lowest wind chill readings 10 below to 20 below zero in the afternoon.
Just a brutal winter so far.

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2014, 08:18 AM »
It has been very brutal.  There are several spots on some lakes that I want to explore but can't really if its this cold because I can't hole hop.  It's just too darn cold! Sunday looks like a great day to sit inside and watch football, and not even venture outside.  Another sucky thing about this weather is that I bought a snowmobile and haven't really been able to ride much since its so cold, can't even enjoy the snow we have. 

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2014, 08:17 PM »
Its been cold enought that I ordered an extension for my auger today. I figure if it stays this cold, I will need it later. If the ice gets real thick, everyone will want an extension, and I won't be able to get one... ;)

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2014, 09:04 AM »
If this keeps up we will need to hire a well drilling outfit to poke holes for us by the end of Feb.

"Sunday Night
Mostly cloudy. Lows 29 below to 34 below zero. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Wind chill values 40 below to 50 below zero.

Monday
Mostly cloudy. Highs 13 below to 18 below zero. West winds 10 to 15 mph. Wind chill values 40 below to 50 below zero.
Monday Night
Mostly cloudy. Lows 24 below to 29 below zero."

Offline sckoolman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2014, 12:03 PM »
For all our complaining about the snow, it's probably the only thing that's keeping the ice from being ridiculously thick.  What a winter so far.  In the Twin Cities all public school canceled for Monday.  Many work places also.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2014, 12:08 PM »
I have no intention of trying to start my truck or go to work on Monday. When you try and operate machinery when it is that cold all you do is break something.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #28 on: Jan 04, 2014, 12:35 PM »
Its been cold enought that I ordered an extension for my auger today. I figure if it stays this cold, I will need it later. If the ice gets real thick, everyone will want an extension, and I won't be able to get one... ;)

You talked me into it also, I saw on fish usa they are already out of stock, I found one on ebay a new 6" extension for my jiffy mod 30 for $25 with shipping so I bought it. This could very well be the year we need it.

Offline PRICE COUNTY STRIKE ZONE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 04, 2014, 01:51 PM »
I wish you would tell the construction company I work for that. I hate to think about how miserable monday will be.
I have no intention of trying to start my truck or go to work on Monday. When you try and operate machinery when it is that cold all you do is break something.
     Beer: So much more than a breakfast drink.  - Homer Simpson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.